Suns Media Day and Training Camp 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Suns Media Day and Training Camp 2021

Post by JeremyG »

Both the Mercury and the Suns are scheduled to play at Footprint Center next Wednesday. I wonder what will happen? Lol.

And if the Mercury host Game 2 of the Finals that would also conflict with the only other Suns home preseason game (October 13).

Also, a championship-deciding Game 5 of the Finals will be on opening night of the NBA season (October 19). Who schedules these things?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:16 pm
Both the Mercury and the Suns are scheduled to play at Footprint Center next Wednesday. I wonder what will happen? Lol.

And if the Mercury host Game 2 of the Finals that would also conflict with the only other Suns home preseason game (October 13).

Also, a championship-deciding Game 5 of the Finals will be on opening night of the NBA season (October 19). Who schedules these things?
The Suns will play on the Mercury floor and use the WNBA basketballs.

Second question...good question. I have no idea.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Day 2

Going back to the DA video...not a great look to say you don't like the role you're in when you have a potential extension coming. I just don't know what to make of him.

Last edited by ShelC on Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

:roll:

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Quick! It's time for everyone to jump off the sinking DA ship! Time for the annual pre-preseason .net doom and gloom!

I'm not worried. He can say whatever. I think we all know CP3 will keep his ass in line if he starts to become some soft Euro center.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

It doesn't sound like he was just talking about threes, but also getting more shots in general, which is what we all should want. That next step is for him to expand his offense and become a big scorer, like Embiid or KAT or AD--what's wrong with that? And it sounds to me from that clip like the coaching staff wants him to do that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JaVale McThree?
No.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here's a more accurate assessment of the Ayton quotes: https://arizonasports.com/story/2834091 ... ime-focus/

Here are some quotes:
“I put a lot of work behind it this offseason,” Ayton said. “Me and coach been talking and I’ve been telling him the things I want to do. That’s a step for me, where I’m telling the coaches what I want to do now, and being more of a threat on this offensive end to help my team win.”

When a reporter followed up on what Ayton wanted to do exactly, he replied with, “Everything. Every single thing, man. The game has completely changed. Mainly, just being a force down low and getting to that line, pushing that ball and just being more swift in our offense.”

[...]

“I finally took care of areas where I can find my shots in our offense,” Ayton said. “Not really hunting down the shots but coach finally put in the play where I can pop out for that 3 and get more comfortable and comfortable as the season goes on.”

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There's frequently an opportunity for Ayton to get an open shot from 18 to 20 feet in the rhythm of the offense. Aron Baynes was really good in that position in the short time he was performing at his peak with the Suns.

Shortly after the Finals ended I commented that I want to see Ayton develop a one-dribble scoring move that gets him into the paint from that position. I have no problem with him taking jump shots from there or from 3-point range if he's also trying to get closer to the rim with some of those opportunities in the offense.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Has there ever been an Ayton interview where he didn't give at least one cringe-worthy quote about himself?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:47 am
Has there ever been an Ayton interview where he didn't give at least one cringe-worthy quote about himself?
No. And despite my :roll: above to these quotes, it is fine. I don't care what he says in interviews. I just want him to be big and strong and have good hands, instead of getting blocked by smaller, weaker guys. He is more than capable. If he just could clean that up, he is a top 5 center in the league.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:08 am
Mori Chu wrote:
No. And despite my :roll: above to these quotes, it is fine. I don't care what he says in interviews. I just want him to be big and strong and have good hands, instead of getting blocked by smaller, weaker guys. He is more than capable. If he just could clean that up, he is a top 5 center in the league.
I agree. I know your eyeroll didn't mean anything. I just like to give the folks around here a hard time and it had been awhile :)

I'd like to follow up on your last sentence.
If he just could clean that up, he is a top 5 center in the league.
Even with the things he lacks, currently, can you really give me a list of 5 centers in the NBA better?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:13 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:08 am
Mori Chu wrote:
I agree. I know your eyeroll didn't mean anything. I just like to give the folks around here a hard time and it had been awhile :)

I'd like to follow up on your last sentence.
If he just could clean that up, he is a top 5 center in the league.
Even with the things he lacks, currently, can you really give me a list of 5 centers in the NBA better?
Jokic and Embiid are the only two clearly ahead. Bam/KAT/Rudy are next. Ayton is in that group.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Where's Capela on the list?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I didn't mean this yea; I meant perennially. But really the way I was thinking about it was "A center you would be happy to pay +30M/year."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

No issue with DA either
I'm not worried about the dude

In my opinion, Monty always emphasized to DA that he needs him to be the defensive anchor but never was limiting him just to defense, boards and dives to the rim

DA always says that he trusts Monty
Monty always saying there's room for growth with every player

So I see this as just a continuation from the Playoffs. DA saw his value as the anchor, gravity caused when rolling hard and he also experienced games when he was able to rack up points at a decent clip

Next progression (as with all our young core) is to improve on the offensive end. No reason he shouldn't be looking forward to opportunities, I don't think that means he gonna all of a sudden forget his primary roles
Monty and CP, also Jae, Book, geeez everybody wouldn't let him

The kid isn't Gobert, there are ways he can hurt teams on Offense. He was improving at punishing switches and I'm interested to see if he can show more in the high post
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I am having a hard time cooling my jets over DA just needing to draw fouls, finish through contact. His handles still look weak, like he’s gonna cross his man up in the paint or 10 ft out 😂. Obvs I am not there, what do I know. CP3 gonna ride his ass. I just wanna see the guy take advantage of his size, not run drills like an 8th grader in his drive way. Somebody shut me up.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:11 pm
I am having a hard time cooling my jets over DA just needing to draw fouls, finish through contact. His handles still look weak, like he’s gonna cross his man up in the paint or 10 ft out 😂. Obvs I am not there, what do I know. CP3 gonna ride his ass. I just wanna see the guy take advantage of his size, not run drills like an 8th grader in his drive way. Somebody shut me up.
I'm kind of with you on this. If you're going to use dribbling moves, then use them to drive hard to the basket, not to just back up to make space for your jumpshot. Perhaps this is another slow evolution for DA.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

In that quote above, Ayton said: "Everything. Every single thing, man. The game has completely changed. Mainly, just being a force down low and getting to that line, pushing that ball and just being more swift in our offense."