Suns Media Day and Training Camp 2021

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns Media Day and Training Camp 2021

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't want Ayton to work on his ballhandling if he's going to result in between the leg crossovers into step-back fadeaways.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 pm
I don't want Ayton to work on his ballhandling if he's going to result in between the leg crossovers into step-back fadeaways.
I’m just curious, do you have anything upbeat or nice to say anymore or is everything the team does these days just wrong in your eyes. Or is it just Ayton?

How about you give the guy a break and encouragement for working in his game?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yep, more fuel for the fire. In every one of those videos with both McGee and Ayton, McGee is going to the hoop and Ayton is stepping back. smh.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I’m just curious, do you have anything upbeat or nice to say anymore or is everything the team does these days just wrong in your eyes. Or is it just Ayton?

Hey, I love that he's working on his game. I just want to see him work on his face up game and taking the ball to the hoop with contact. He needs to work on all facets. Not just step backs. Maybe we've just been unlucky and all the videos just happen to be of him working on his step back game. Maybe the media just doesn't want to show him going to the basket. I'm sure that's it.

One other thing. We're not the ones he looks to for encouragement. That's his coaches and fellow players. We as fans just want the best for our team AND the players. In spite of how well Ayton has played and grown, we know how much more room he has for improvement and we all want to see that. That makes everybody happy. Including the fans.
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:41 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Hey, I love that he's working on his game. I just want to see him work on his face up game and taking the ball to the hoop with contact. He needs to work on all facets. Not just step backs. Maybe we've just been unlucky and all the videos just happen to be of him working on his step back game. Maybe the media just doesn't want to show him going to the basket. I'm sure that's it.

One other thing. We're not the ones he looks to for encouragement. That's his coaches and fellow players. We as fans just want the best for our team AND the players. In spite of how well Ayton has played and grown, we know how much more room he has for improvement and we all want to see that. That makes everybody happy. Including the fans.
Oh I see, we saw one player take one touch on one drill and conclude that he hasn’t worked on his post up game. Did you ever think it wasn’t a post-up drill? Maybe it was a jump-shooting drill? Have you seen the post-up drill first hand?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Oh I see, we saw one player take one touch on one drill and conclude that he hasn’t worked on his post up game. Did you ever think it wasn’t a post-up drill? Maybe it was a jump-shooting drill? Have you seen the post-up drill first hand?
Apparently you haven't watched the videos. In both that I referenced, back to back, in the same drill, McGee went to the hoop and Ayton did a step back jumper.
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:07 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Apparently you haven't watched the videos. In both that I referenced, back to back, in the same drill, McGee went to the hoop and Ayton did a step back jumper.
He must just be an awful player then. Why do we even keep him around?

Damn this shit gets old. The incessant complaining is becoming too much. You would think they won 20 games again last year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

Damn this shit gets old. The incessant complaining is becoming too much. You would think they won 20 games again last year.
OK...

All praise and no talk about areas to improve. Got it.
"Be Legendary."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:25 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Superbone wrote:

OK...

We talking about practice. Not a game, practice.

Why don’t we see what happens when they actually start playing games to bitch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:25 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:

OK...

We talking about practice. Not a game, practice.

Why don’t we see what happens when they actually start playing games to bitch.
:)

And you know you're talking to a guy everybody here considers an optimist. Dude, I want the best for our team just like everybody else here. I'm going to continue to praise AND point areas of improvement as I see them. It's kind of funny as I used to get the other side of it from INF.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I think the Suns will win more games than they lose. Is that upbeat enough for you?

One of my favorite parts of our community here is that we can be objective about the players and team in an effort to have a fair discussion about them. There are plenty of places on the Internet to have a circle jerk about the team if that's what you're looking for.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:34 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I think the Suns will win more games than they lose. Is that upbeat enough for you?

One of my favorite parts of our community here is that we can be objective about the players and team in an effort to have a fair discussion about them. There are plenty of places on the Internet to have a circle jerk about the team if that's what you're looking for.
Objective is one thing. You seem to always be down in Ayton.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

In the playoffs the Suns were hurting to get to the line. Book is pretty much the only guy who get there. With all the bullcrap basketball moves to draw fouls, being a center who draws contact makes for an easy way to get to the line. Last year DA averaged 2.5 free throws attempts per game, 2.4 in the playoffs. Here’s a breakdown of his peers who have the ball in their hands more than him but none the less are his peers.
C Wood- 4.8
Gobert, Sabonis - 5.3
Jokic, Bam - 5.5
Embiid - 10.7
Giannis 9.5
Ayton, if he learns to finish and draw contact, get that up to at least 4-5 per game while also getting a couple more ppg. This would make him a 20ppg without really having to increase his fga much.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:46 pm
In the playoffs the Suns were hurting to get to the line. Book is pretty much the only guy who get there. With all the bullcrap basketball moves to draw fouls, being a center who draws contact makes for an easy way to get to the line. Last year DA averaged 2.5 free throws attempts per game, 2.4 in the playoffs. Here’s a breakdown of his peers who have the ball in their hands more than him but none the less are his peers.
C Wood- 4.8
Gobert, Sabonis - 5.3
Jokic, Bam - 5.5
Embiid - 10.7
Giannis 9.5
Ayton, if he learns to finish and draw contact, get that up to at least 4-5 per game while also getting a couple more ppg. This would make him a 20ppg without really having to increase his fga much.
Look at Drew. Bringing the facts. Yeah, would love to see some growth from Ayton here.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:38 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I don't think I've been "down" on Ayton since about last April or so. I praised him extensively in the playoffs, even when he was getting outplayed by Giannis.

He's likely days away from signing a max contract extension, so I expect him to continue improving in ways that help the team. Some of his recent statements and these clips of his "improved ballhandling" don't match my expectations of his development.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jesús cristo we need the season to start. factions are already forming between "I wish this guy would get better at his strengths" and "he's AMAZING as is!" and we are on day 3 of training camp.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:39 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:38 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I don't think I've been "down" on Ayton since about last April or so. I praised him extensively in the playoffs, even when he was getting outplayed by Giannis.

He's likely days away from signing a max contract extension, so I expect him to continue improving in ways that help the team. Some of his recent statements and these clips of his "improved ballhandling" don't match my expectations of his development.
Very balanced take

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:34 pm
jesús cristo we need the season to start. factions are already forming between "I wish this guy would get better at his strengths" and "he's AMAZING as is!" and we are on day 3 of training camp.
How I feel as well. Let's see him in games first. Not enough data. I personally feel that he will have ten game stretches where he will be disappointing...and then average 20-20 with 5 FTAs per game for the next 30 games. Then let the pedal off the metal again.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:21 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:34 pm
How I feel as well. Let's see him in games first. Not enough data. I personally feel that he will have ten game stretches where he will be disappointing...and then average 20-20 with 5 FTAs per game for the next 30 games. Then let the pedal off the metal again.
Based on his first 3 seasons, my expectation is similar, but it would so-so for 20 games, amazing for 5, rinse/repeat. But if that means he becomes a dominant force--like he was through the middle part of the playoffs--for the entire playoffs, I'm good.