Game Day (Preseason): Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (0-1), Wed 10/06/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Game Day: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (0-1), Wed 10/06/21

Post by Drewsprocket »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:06 pm
Obviously Lebron and Westbrook are huge contributors, but this Lakers team still doesn't have any shooting besides Monk and he's too hot and cold from night to night.

Unrelated, does Anthony Davis look a little overweight to anyone else?
AD doesn’t look good. I can’t believe AD. The guy should be the number one player on the planet. $20 bucks says he’ll be injured in the playoffs again.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Javale with the DIME!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nader is really struggling with back to back ugly turnovers. The opportunity is there for Jalen Smith to take his minutes.

Edit: Of course Nader makes a great back cut and contested layup right as I post this.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:48 pm
Javale with the DIME!
That was a pretty play. JaVale has skills.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

It’s hard not to get excited over seeing chemistry carry over into preseason. The Fellas just gotta stay healthy again and we got a good shot at the Finals again.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

After watching the game I am excited. We added a real BU Center who could easily start. Stix doesn’t look bad. I have a feeling he will be part of the regular rotation this year and be a contributor. Shamet looks good too. I think he cements the sg bu spot nicely.

Ayton, Crowder and Stix on the floor at the same time was kind of exciting to see. We can go big if we want. It sure seems like an upgrade from last year.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

JaVale is who the Suns were missing against the Bucks last year. He’s going to make a big difference in a lot of games. He’s also going to get into n foul trouble really quick in some others. I like his presence and his motor.

Aytons shit looks good. Defense looks on as well. His offensive awareness is still behind schedule. Had a wide open dunk and he was worried about AD blocking it when he wasn’t even near which allowed Davis to get to him and force a miss. I’ve seen that before with him.

Shamet looks like he fits right in. Reminds me of a quicker Raja Bell. Seems to know how to make the right play.

Cam needs to get more touches with the main group. He didn’t get those touches tonight til he played with the C and D team. Looked really comfortable out there.

Jaylen had a few good moments in the first half. His second half was awful. I was encouraged by what he did with hustle, rebounds, and outback’s first half. Not sure what happened in the second half. Didn’t look like an NBA player.

Nader, oof. Had a couple of nice plays at the end to make up ground but holy shit was the rest bad. I’m struggling to figure out why he’s getting paid more than league minimum.

Lebron or not the Laker defense is atrocious. Ya love to see it. Going to get boat raced by younger faster teams this year. Which is pretty much all of them.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That was an old fashioned ass-whoopin' going into the 4th quarter until we put in our Washington Generals 3rd team.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If I were a Lakers fan (gross), I'd be really worried about my team. I don't think their roster fits together easily and they're counting on too many old guys who can't keep pace with younger players around the league.

They'll probably look great some nights when everyone is locked in against a team they "respect" like the Clippers or Warriors, and then they'll get waxed against the Hornets or Kings.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd say our team is ready to go. Granted no LBJ or Westbrook, but our guys were just clicking from the start. No dropoff, no rust, no figuring things out. CP looks extremely sharp w/no ill effects from the left wrist surgery. He hit a few corner 3s which could be a nice wrinkle in the offense if he becomes a knockdown shooter from that spot while others (Book, CP, Shamet) are handling ball duties.

Cam Johnson looks really aggressive with his offense. He'd be a legit breakout candidate if the minutes were there.

Crowder another one who looks in midseason form. Battling on the boards, switching everything defensively, hit a few 3s and drew a foul on one of them.

Javale was the star tho on both ends and brought a ton of energy. He could be the hustle/energy guy off the bench we lost in Torrey, just that's he a 7footer doing it. He'll be a legit lob threat everytime he rolls with CP handling and the other guards will throw it up to him as well. He also knows how to wait in the dunkers spot for the catch and dunk off penetration. Also had a few nice passes to cutters again, nutmegged DAJ on a pass to a cutting Cam Johnson (I think?).

Another solid game from Stix I thought. He stands out more in the paint with putbacks and crashing the boards. Good nose for the ball, good length and hops inside. Monty's thrown the bigger lineup out twice now with Stix next to DA and Javale. Not sure how much we see that when the real games start but I like seeing Monty try it.

Mikal and Shamet both solid. Still not seeing much from Mikal in terms of ballhandling and individual offense tho, which is fine. He took 18 shots but I hardly remember them. I just don't think it's really his game and if he's out there with CP, Book and Shamet there's probably won't be a ton of opportunity for him to do much besides catch and look to score.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Javale's dime was to Nader and that was definitely top stuff
I defended him a bunch (my usual rooting for an underdog) lol when he was with Warriors telling friends that they still stuck on Shaqtin-a-fool narrative but dude is effective in his role.

He basically has the - set screens, roll hard, try to reb n blk everything "in short stints" role down. It's only when he tires that you see the mental lapses and as obviously shouldn't need big minutes from him.

Cam J looks really good 8-) :) and I don't think anyone will even think I'm doing my usual propping up of the Avatar Bros lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

What's crazy to me but not the least bit surprising is the national perception of our squad.
We added CP3 and went to the Finals but I still feel like we viewed no different than the Bubble Suns. Just a team that had "a stretch of solid basketball" but things went in their favour so unlikely to repeat the success.

Greg Anthony literally said "they will not be able to sneak up on teams and surprise them this year"
I was like ammmm when did that happen last year ?! Smh lol

It is what it is
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:39 am
What's crazy to me but not the least bit surprising is the national perception of our squad.
We added CP3 and went to the Finals but I still feel like we viewed no different than the Bubble Suns. Just a team that had "a stretch of solid basketball" but things went in their favour so unlikely to repeat the success.

Greg Anthony literally said "they will not be able to sneak up on teams and surprise them this year"
I was like ammmm when did that happen last year ?! Smh lol

It is what it is
Yeah still pretty disgusting how people are still sleeping on the Suns. The national media being the main culprit. Like, we fixed our main weakness with Javale and carried pretty much the same squad coming off a short offseason.

I also noticed how Lakers announcers brought the excuses for the playoff losses out early. "They had an amazing run of good health." This place was rocking last year. A different story in LA where there were extremely limited amounts of fans. Definitely a difference maker." Just shut up. Your Tune Squad got beat and they'll get beat again IF they make the playoffs. The only offseason acquisitions that looked good were Monk and Nunn. Davis will be hurt in no time for the amount of times he goes to the floor.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last edited by ShelC on Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

That Lakers team would've been good in 2009. What a depressing time to be a Laker fan.

Split T

Post by Split T »

iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 am
That Lakers team would've been good in 2009. What a depressing time to be a Laker fan.
They are going to be good still. And it’s nothing like the post-Kobe, pre-Lebron era that they went through. Also who cares about Lakers fans feelings, haha

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm going to enjoy laughing at the failure of the overrated Lakers all season. A lot of folks have been really fooled by these guys and think they're contenders. I'd bet a pretty penny they don't get to the WCF.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Last I checked they still had Lebron and AD

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I'm not going to laugh too quick. Let's see how it plays out.
"Be Legendary."