Game Day (Preseason): Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (0-3), Sun 10/10/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-1) @ Lakers (0-3), Sun 10/10/21

Post by AmareIsGod »

Cam J. Glad he put on that upper body strength. Really helping him scoring and with his jump shot.

/s
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Suns looked great in the 3rd quarter. Really like the way McGee is playing. Cam Payne had some nice drives. Stix got some good rebounds.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

McGee playing awesome. Love seeing a physical big on the court.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think I've seen Cam Johnson miss a 3-pointer on the right side above the break yet this preseason.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I was about to make a joke about how Frank's haircut doesn't match his age until I looked up his age. TIL he's only 28. :shock:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Feel like a top 2 seed should be ours if we want it again this year. Our continuity and chemistry, plus the fact that CP3 and Book don’t take games off, should lead to a lot of wins. Probably going to be us and the Jazz at the top again. I would have had Dallas as a dark horse if they got a different coach. Don’t love Kidd.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jalen looks like an nba player tonight…not something we could say very often last year.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:04 pm
Jalen looks like an nba player tonight…not something we could say very often last year.
He looked good enough for the rotation in the first half of the last game. It's between him and Nader for the last spot with exception to the nights McGee doesn't play.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

There must be a clause in LeBron's contract that requires his team to roster a surprisingly effective white guy.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Westbrook with the near triple-double - 8 points, 9 turnovers, 9 missed FGA
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Man, I wish we could play the Lakers every night.

Yeah, Stix looked like he belonged out there tonight.

I don’t get the Cam J hate. He played perfectly fine and had the 2nd best +/- of the night.
"Be Legendary."

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:54 pm
Lakers really don’t look great right now. I know it’s preseason and Lebron isn’t playing, but still. I haven’t seen Monk out there, is he hurt? No Ariza either, not that I expect much from him. I know a lot of people have Lakers at the top of the west, but I’ll be surprised if they are in the regular season. I still think they could be dangerous in the playoffs, but they look more like a 4-6 seed to me.
Ariza got surgery, out for two months. He is mastering the “convincing some fools I can contribute, then proceeds to checking-out early in the season” to an art form.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Suns looking good. Not much turnover and the additions (McGee and Shamet) really fill out a complete quality roster from top to bottom. Stix even looking good. If Saric comes back he won’t have to go against guys much bigger than himself anymore. Monty has quality choices at every position to handle just about any situation. The chemistry is already brewing with McGee and other players like Cam Johnson. He’s a playmaker and a low post threat.

This is going to be exciting. I feel like the roster is mostly set and everyone knows their role.

Paul/Payne
Booker/Shamet
Bridges/?
Crowder/?
Ayton/McGee

I put those question marks on the Forwards BU because I feel that’s where the most flexibility comes in. Obviously Cam Johnson is first off the bench on the BU list but I am not sure if he is backing up Bridges or Crowder and maybe that changes with who we are playing. I kind of feel like Stix has a shot at getting some real playing time as PF. I think Nader does well too and will see some playing time. Peyton is big and can come in and guard bigger guards if needed. I don’t have enough data on Huchinson and Randle to have an opinion on them yet.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's a good breakdown of the rotation Nodack, and it's made me rethink how Jalen Smith will get minutes a bit. I think Smith will pick up minutes left by McGee as I assume he'll sit out a fair number of games. I don't think 2 games against the Lakers is an accurate assessment of his nightly minutes. He's on the Suns primarily to match up against teams like the Lakers, but there aren't many of them out there. But who knows? He's playing really well coming off the Olympics, kind of like Baynes was for us coming off the World Championships.

But now I'm starting to think Crowder will also play a lot less this season in favor of more minutes for Cam Johnson. We could even see Crowder sit games out, opening the starting role to Cam with Smith getting 20 minutes as his backup.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yeah, Cam Johnson is getting too good to ride the pine. Him and Bridges starting together would be their dream since their are best buddies and have progressed together. Too many good players. What a horrible problem.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Last edited by ShelC on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

A few thoughts:

1. Bridges has added muscle

2. Cam Johnson really has added the turn around

3. Seeing Bridges and Johnson shooting the mid-range with confidence. That's the worst shot according to analytics, but it's something of a lost art and one of the best ways to break modern defenses. Having 4 guys who can hit it at a >50% clip (CP3, Booker, Paul, Bridges) creates problems for defenses that no other team can show (e.g. the Suns can do things on offense no other team in the league can, which makes them tough to prepare for)

4. McGee's +/- numbers are unreal. We'll see if this holds up in the regular season, but it suggests he's a great fit with the second unit.

5. Ok, Stix is a legit rebounder. Still bad on offense (usually, but not tonight), and struggles to play the 4. He's just not quick enough to guard the perimeter right now. That's a limitation that's tough to improve. Maybe he can get there with better footwork and defensive IQ. He's got the length to compensate for speed.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Man, our two most important new players, McGee and Shamet, look great so far. They are fitting right in and feel like they've been here for years already. Excellent surgical improvement to our roster this offseason. This is how you reload for another championship run. I think we're poised to be a special team again this season.

It does feel like we're still one big short, or something. But I like the improvement Stix is showing, and Kaminsky may be able to get by in the rest of those minutes. It would be nice to have Thad Young but I really wouldn't want to break the bank for him. I think we have a really good roster already.

Now just don't screw it up by low-balling Ayton and Bridges, and we should be good to go!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:25 am
Suns looking good. Not much turnover and the additions (McGee and Shamet) really fill out a complete quality roster from top to bottom. Stix even looking good. If Saric comes back he won’t have to go against guys much bigger than himself anymore. Monty has quality choices at every position to handle just about any situation. The chemistry is already brewing with McGee and other players like Cam Johnson. He’s a playmaker and a low post threat.

This is going to be exciting. I feel like the roster is mostly set and everyone knows their role.

Paul/Payne
Booker/Shamet
Bridges/?
Crowder/?
Ayton/McGee

I put those question marks on the Forwards BU because I feel that’s where the most flexibility comes in. Obviously Cam Johnson is first off the bench on the BU list but I am not sure if he is backing up Bridges or Crowder and maybe that changes with who we are playing. I kind of feel like Stix has a shot at getting some real playing time as PF. I think Nader does well too and will see some playing time. Peyton is big and can come in and guard bigger guards if needed. I don’t have enough data on Huchinson and Randle to have an opinion on them yet.
Think there’s a decent chance Johnson just takes all the backup forward minutes. Well at least that no other forward gets regular time off the bench. We’ve heard talk of 3 guard lineups with Book shifting to the 3. We’ll see, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we ran a 9 man regular rotation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:02 pm
I was about to make a joke about how Frank's haircut doesn't match his age until I looked up his age. TIL he's only 28. :shock:
This is likely the most shocking stat I have ever read. In my head he is 33.