All Things Ayton

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: All Things Ayton

Post by ShelC »

I know I'm in the minority here but I don't think this is all on Sarver this time.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:36 pm
It's absurd. People are arguing that Ayton shouldn't deserve escalators based on injuries propelling him into 2nd team NBA or 1st team, etc. That max is only for the singular best or top 3 at a given position, which Ayton is right there already, some might argue, around 3rd. Yet Michael Porter Jr. gets love from his team and gets the max. MPJ is better, more valuable and deserving than Ayton?! GTFO. I'd feel disrespected by the Suns too if I saw him and some of the other dudes that got maxed while he doesn't after historic stretches during the postseason and being a huge part of our finals run.
I agree that Ayton is more deserving of it than MPJ. I think that’s pretty obvious to most.
Agreed, I would not feel great about maxing MPJ either. Though his deal isn’t fully guaranteed. It’s basically a 3 year max with only half of year 4 and none of year 5 guaranteed.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:48 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:36 pm
It's absurd. People are arguing that Ayton shouldn't deserve escalators based on injuries propelling him into 2nd team NBA or 1st team, etc. That max is only for the singular best or top 3 at a given position, which Ayton is right there already, some might argue, around 3rd. Yet Michael Porter Jr. gets love from his team and gets the max. MPJ is better, more valuable and deserving than Ayton?! GTFO. I'd feel disrespected by the Suns too if I saw him and some of the other dudes that got maxed while he doesn't after historic stretches during the postseason and being a huge part of our finals run.
I agree that Ayton is more deserving of it than MPJ. I think that’s pretty obvious to most.
But a guy like MPJ is exactly who a young guy like Ayton is going to look at and ask himself "they maxed that guy... But the Suns haven't maxed me?"..
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

That does make things tricky…on one hand you don’t want to do careless things because other teams are doing careless things, but Ayton would definitely stand out amongst his draft class if he didn’t get a max. He may not be Luka, but he’s above MPJ and pretty level with SGA imo. It would be weird if they all got maxed and he didn’t. Hopefully it works out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:49 am
I know I'm in the minority here but I don't think this is all on Sarver this time.
I kind of believed Sarver when he said "that is up to James and Ayton's agent." I am wondering how important James thinks Ayton is at this price. And if he holds out, and matches whatever he gets next year, it will be cheaper than giving him the full max this year.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:44 pm
I don’t think that was Greg Moore. Pretty sure that was Rankin on both ends sandwiching Kellan Olson.
He was saying that Greg Moore is known for asking stupid questions, not that this time it was Moore.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:52 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:44 pm
I don’t think that was Greg Moore. Pretty sure that was Rankin on both ends sandwiching Kellan Olson.
He was saying that Greg Moore is known for asking stupid questions, not that this time it was Moore.
Ah... Got it.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:50 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:49 am
I kind of believed Sarver when he said "that is up to James and Ayton's agent." I am wondering how important James thinks Ayton is at this price. And if he holds out, and matches whatever he gets next year, it will be cheaper than giving him the full max this year.
Even if he really is leaving it up to James, can you imagine Mark Cuban doing that? "Oh I hope it works out between them and we retain our only #1 draft pick ever, but if it doesn't...oh well."

And it seems highly unlikely that Sarver would let James not max DA if he wanted to, after his reputation has already taken hits, especially from the Joe Johnson fiasco.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The second sentence here sums it up well.

Also, Jones and Monty have been big on not referring to players as "assets," but treating them as people. Sarver didn't get the memo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That does scare me that Sarver is having one-on-ones.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

And he claimed he was leaving it up to James and DA's agent. I knew he was lying.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

From the TMZ article: "One witness says Ayton was comparing his game and his athleticism to another player during the conversation with Sarver ... adding that the talks seemed to be 'all business.'"

I still get the feeling from this and everything else that Sarver is not even willing to offer him the max with zero escalators.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not a sarver defender. I think he is an awful person, and a shitty owner.

But there is still an easy way for two guys to sit down and talk about a negotiation and future with the team, while still letting the GM and the agent work out the details.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Are we really going to jump into conclusions from an article and pictures from TMZ?

An article that headlines an "ugly feud", is worth reading?

I know in this the modern times, a tweet can be all we got, but sometimes we have to said "a tweet is all we got". The situation is not ideal, granted, the situation COULD BE worrisome, granted, but let's not run into panic, like we were dealing with Simmons/Irving like situations.

Of course THE KID is disappointed, but that's what adult life is, actions and consequences. Sometimes you can milk a contract out of a playoffs run, sometimes not, and preseason has not been kind with Ayton to answer the question "Has Ayton turned the corner?" on a positive way. The KID is dragging his feet once again, but still wants re$$$pect. Time to grow up, KID. Let's not repeat past errors undeservedly crowning boys in order to please them.

I'm perfectly fine with letting the season playout, and match any contract he gets. In no way he is going to sign the QO and risk it all over a season, so we are in complete control here. It's not about lowballing the guy, but if MPJ were on our team, many would be losing their heads over the horrible overpay that his contract is. Teams handing over escalators like candies, is not a group we want to be in, as my mother would said "if Denver jumps out from a cliff, are you going to do the same, just because?"

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Audio of Robert Sarver on Burns and Gambo today: https://omny.fm/shows/burns-gambo/rober ... ns-owner-3

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oh course Saver is trying to do the negotiating himself. Of course he is.

BigLewy

Post by BigLewy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:55 pm
I mean, he did negotiate with Dragic directly on his return in a parking garage if I remember correctly....maybe the Ayton scenario will be reminiscent of that and not his other mistakes?

I'll try to stay optimistic here.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

freaking curse…

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

BigLewy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:55 pm
I mean, he did negotiate with Dragic directly on his return in a parking garage if I remember correctly....maybe the Ayton scenario will be reminiscent of that and not his other mistakes?

I'll try to stay optimistic here.
Hate to break it to you but that dinner was Monday night. Meaning, it was the next day that Ayton said he was "disappointed" and didn't feel "respected."