The 2021 Suns Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: The 2021 Suns Offseason

Post by JeremyG »

Everyone loves extending Shamet just based on one preseason with the Suns, but one playoff run is not enough to pay Ayton?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm
Everyone loves extending Shamet just based on one preseason with the Suns, but one playoff run is not enough to pay Ayton?
Apples and oranges. Of course they wanted to extend Ayton. Just at a fair and commensurate price to both parties is all.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:26 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:18 pm
Chris said "get a bag" and never said "paid the max"
Unfortunately, it sounds to me that Ayton is obsessed with getting paid the max and the max only. He's not interested in getting paid commensurately with his value. He's repeatedly said he doesn't like his role. I really don't think he wants to be a center. He'd prefer to be a PF. But not a PF that is aggressive taking the ball to the hoop. That just doesn't jive.
Maybe it's his agent and other folks in his ear. They all want a slice of the pie and he's a young impressionable guy. How did we all act when we were in our early 20s?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Unfortunately, it sounds to me that Ayton is obsessed with getting paid the max and the max only. He's not interested in getting paid commensurately with his value. He's repeatedly said he doesn't like his role. I really don't think he wants to be a center. He'd prefer to be a PF. But not a PF that is aggressive taking the ball to the hoop. That just doesn't jive.
Maybe it's his agent and other folks in his ear. They all want a slice of the pie and he's a young impressionable guy. How did we all act when we were in our early 20s?
Oh, yeah. Who knows. I'm sure he's getting it from all sides. I can't imagine being in that position at so young an age. It can't be easy. I'm sure you have a lot of people feeding your ego.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
I’m sure Ayton is welcome to Shamet’s $. MPJ was literally Ayton’s only argument. The other 3 max players in his class are undoubtedly the best player on their teams. 2 months of basketball doesn’t erase the fact he kept the whole team out of the playoffs in 2020 because he was lazy and tried to cheat. Part of me thinks JJ sees more value in having Ayton stay motivated. Don’t act like there isn’t a good chance Ayton is the next Erick Dampier.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I’m sure Ayton is welcome to Shamet’s $. MPJ was literally Ayton’s only argument. The other 3 max players in his class are undoubtedly the best player on their teams. 2 months of basketball doesn’t erase the fact he kept the whole team out of the playoffs in 2020 because he was lazy and tried to cheat. Part of me thinks JJ sees more value in having Ayton stay motivated. Don’t act like there isn’t a good chance Ayton is the next Erick Dampier.
He did not try to cheat due to laziness. He took a diuretic to cover up marijuana. There is no evidence he ever took PEDs.

And no, there is no chance Ayton is the next Erick Dampier. Especially since Dampier was never as good as Ayton has been already.

Everyone who knows Ayton says that he has an incredible work ethic, is very coachable, and is a hard worker. Nobody has accused him of being lazy. That's nonsense.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:19 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
He did not try to cheat due to laziness. He took a diuretic to cover up marijuana. There is no evidence he ever took PEDs.

And no, there is no chance Ayton is the next Erick Dampier. Especially since Dampier was never as good as Ayton has been already.

Everyone who knows Ayton says that he has an incredible work ethic, is very coachable, and is a hard worker. Nobody has accused him of being lazy. That's nonsense.
people regularly talk about his conditioning not being up to par.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And people sometimes call him a puzzy around the basket. Not me of course…

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's been more finesse than force offensively around the basket and it doesn't bother me anymore. Except when he starts with the DOMINAYTON stuff again like he's a modern Shaq or something.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:31 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:19 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
JeremyG wrote:

people regularly talk about his conditioning not being up to par.
The narrative around Ayton is he grew into basketball playing with the idea that he would be a dominant player and become a max player. But that he sort of had a middling work ethic. CP3 rode his ass hard last year. There is ambiguity around whether it was PEDs vs marijuana behind his diuretic use. Either way it cost his whole team to lose out on the opportunity to make the playoffs. I’m sure he is a sweet kid and good person. But hsi work ethic has been in question as evidenced by Monty making it a public point that he expected Ayton to be in playing shape by training camp. You think Monty needed to say that about anybody else in the media? Ayton is a young man who for most of his rookie contract hanging empty stats and flashes of ability to being a potential all defensive team player with no go to move. I hope that he plays great this year and earns his max deal.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:44 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Oh, yeah. Who knows. I'm sure he's getting it from all sides. I can't imagine being in that position at so young an age. It can't be easy. I'm sure you have a lot of people feeding your ego.
What I am worried about is that Ayton has the same idiot agent that cost Kelly Oubre a boatload of cash.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And look how that turned out for us.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:41 am
If the Suns end up with Jokic or Giannis, I wouldn't mind. But Ayton is no Oubre.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am
ShelC wrote:
If the Suns end up with Jokic or Giannis, I wouldn't mind. But Ayton is no Oubre.
I would start hunting for a deal early into the season for Ayton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:01 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Saw on Twitter that Ayton, Saric, and Smith is enough salary to get KAT. That’s my dream scenario still. Think this team jumps to clear western favorites with that deal, assuming no other rotation pieces go out. Only a healthy Nets team would I consider better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:41 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:01 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Saw on Twitter that Ayton, Saric, and Smith is enough salary to get KAT. That’s my dream scenario still. Think this team jumps to clear western favorites with that deal, assuming no other rotation pieces go out. Only a healthy Nets team would I consider better.
That would be asking SO much of Bridges. He already has to guard the best guy (or two guys) 1-3, then we would have nobody back there for the 4/5s or when the smaller guys get into the paint. We might have our offense go from 7th/8th to 1st/2nd, but our defense would go from 7th to 20th.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t know that it would be that bad. Our defense held up with Saric at the 5 for the most part.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:29 pm
I don’t know that it would be that bad. Our defense held up with Saric at the 5 for the most part.
Saric a better defender than KAT though. He knows how to position his body defensively.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think KAT is fine defensively. Ayton is better, but it's not like KAT is a stiff or incompetent.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya, KAT moves well and I’ve seen some stuff on Twitter from people a lot smarter than me that KAT plays a lot better when he can play at the level of the screen. Minny historically had him play in a drop and that’s not his best scheme apparently.