2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Indy »

They created a commercial for NASA to make her look relatable? I don't think people have a problem relating to her. And if they did, a science commercial isn't a way to do that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Honestly who cares about some NASA ad?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Honestly, no one cares about a NASA ad, but as far as her being relatable, she is not relatable at all. She is about as fake of a person as you will find. Just the other day, she showed up to help campaign for Terry McAuliffe and spoke in a southern accent. We all know she is not from the south, doesn't have this accent, so why is she talking in this way?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:11 am
Honestly, no one cares about a NASA ad, but as far as her being relatable, she is not relatable at all. She is about as fake of a person as you will find. Just the other day, she showed up to help campaign for Terry McAuliffe and spoke in a southern accent. We all know she is not from the south, doesn't have this accent, so why is she talking in this way?
This is called "code-switching." It is actually somewhat common among black people and other ethnic minorities, where they will speak one way around their own group and other ways around different other groups. I get that it seems phony, but in many cases it is a deeply learned mechanism to try to fit in without upsetting all these other groups. The classic example is black people "talking white" when around whites and "talking black" when around each other. Kamala is part black and part Indian if I remember correctly, so she may have various accents and modes of speaking she employs in different situations.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch ... ode-switch

Not completely defending code-switching as a practice, nor Kamala herself; she has her flaws. But to me it just sounds like you have a pre-existing dislike for her and are happy to find content that confirms this. Lots of Republicans are huge phony unrelatable losers, but you don't seem very upset about it. This is just 2-minutes'-hate stuff.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:51 am
In2ition wrote:
This is called "code-switching." It is actually somewhat common among black people and other ethnic minorities, where they will speak one way around their own group and other ways around different other groups. I get that it seems phony, but in many cases it is a deeply learned mechanism to try to fit in without upsetting all these other groups. The classic example is black people "talking white" when around whites and "talking black" when around each other. Kamala is part black and part Indian if I remember correctly, so she may have various accents and modes of speaking she employs in different situations.

Not completely defending code-switching as a practice, nor Kamala herself; she has her flaws. But to me it just sounds like you have a pre-existing dislike for her and are happy to find content that confirms this. Lots of Republicans are huge phony unrelatable losers, but you don't seem very upset about it. This is just 2-minutes'-hate stuff.
I've never heard of code switching, but thank you, that's genuinely interesting and I'll keep that in mind in the future. Do you think she was talking to a primarily black audience?

I don't like phony unrelatable losers, no matter what party or non party they belong too. It's not 2-minutes'-hate stuff, lol.

I remember Hillary doing the same thing, is she black and therefore given a pass too?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:02 am
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:

I've never heard of code switching, but thank you, that's genuinely interesting and I'll keep that in mind in the future. Do you think she was talking to a primarily black audience?

I don't like phony unrelatable losers, no matter what party or non party they belong too. It's not 2-minutes'-hate stuff, lol.

I remember Hillary doing the same thing, is she black and therefore given a pass too?
Go back and read Mori's comment on code-switching. It isn't about just black vs white. Minorities in this country have to behave (including how they speak or dress or even walk) depending on the people around them. It is ingrained at a young age as a way to stay safe.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:15 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:02 am
Mori Chu wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Go back and read Mori's comment on code-switching. It isn't about just black vs white. Minorities in this country have to behave (including how they speak or dress or even walk) depending on the people around them. It is ingrained at a young age as a way to stay safe.
I'm not sure how much I believe this in Kamala's case and history, but I'll give her a pass. I still think she's phony as heck. Now, how about Hillary?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Hillary definitely exhibited some phony behavior to try to endear herself to various voting constituencies, such as saying she carried hot sauce with her everywhere she goes, which is almost certainly not true and was just meant to try to make black people like her. Donald Trump tweeted out a picture of himself with a taco bowl and said, "Trump tower has the best taco bowls! I love Hispanics!" Both are silly examples of pandering to voters. I would distinguish both from Kamala's adopting different accents in different conversations, since white American folks don't really do code-switching nearly as much or instinctively as do minority groups.

I will also note that the GOP obsession to still talk about Hillary Clinton all the time is a little strange to me. She's not active in politics or public life any more. She isn't running for any elected office. Why keep focusing on her? She lost in 2016 and she's out of the public sphere. Dems don't obsess over her; why do Republicans?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:11 pm
I think Hillary definitely exhibited some phony behavior to try to endear herself to various voting constituencies, such as saying she carried hot sauce with her everywhere she goes, which is almost certainly not true and was just meant to try to make black people like her. Donald Trump tweeted out a picture of himself with a taco bowl and said, "Trump tower has the best taco bowls! I love Hispanics!" Both are silly examples of pandering to voters. I would distinguish both from Kamala's adopting different accents in different conversations, since white American folks don't really do code-switching nearly as much or instinctively as do minority groups.

I will also note that the GOP obsession to still talk about Hillary Clinton all the time is a little strange to me. She's not active in politics or public life any more. She isn't running for any elected office. Why keep focusing on her? She lost in 2016 and she's out of the public sphere. Dems don't obsess over her; why do Republicans?
You could probably say the same thing for Dems focusing on Trump, but saylavee.
Hillary did say recently that she will never leave politics. https://www.yahoo.com/now/hillary-clint ... 00274.html

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:34 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Hillary did say recently that she will never leave politics. https://www.yahoo.com/now/hillary-clint ... 00274.html
Trump is still running for president and still claiming he actually won (except in court papers where he acknowledges he lost).

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:00 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:34 pm
Mori Chu wrote:

Trump is still running for president and still claiming he actually won (except in court papers where he acknowledges he lost).
Yes, Trump claims he has never conceded, but hasn't said that he will run in 2024.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He hasn't announced yet officially, but he's running. Most of the reports coming out of trump world said he was going to announce 2 months ago, but leaders got him to hold off until the mid-terms so he didn't hurt any candidates by encouraging Dems to get out and vote.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ok, fair enough.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

He’s only running if he knows he can win .. I don’t think that’s a guarantee just yet.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Only Biden can tell the people that he doesn't need them to win the election, only afterwards.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I strongly disagree with Hulsman on that. Nineteen states have limited voting rights in the last year. SCOTUS has gutted the voting rights act. Currently the GOP holds 50% of the senate seats, but only represent 40% of the country.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

May I ask what is the 40% number based off of?

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:I strongly disagree with Hulsman on that. Nineteen states have limited voting rights in the last year. SCOTUS has gutted the voting rights act. Currently the GOP holds 50% of the senate seats, but only represent 40% of the country.
What did hulsman say?

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:27 pm
May I ask what is the 40% number based off of?
the population of the states they represent.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:43 pm
Indy wrote:I strongly disagree with Hulsman on that. Nineteen states have limited voting rights in the last year. SCOTUS has gutted the voting rights act. Currently the GOP holds 50% of the senate seats, but only represent 40% of the country.
What did hulsman say?
In the podcast you posted. Saying that there is no way Trump can win, even with all the gerrymandering and restricted voting (and in some states, like AZ, where the legislature can now overturn the election if they don't agree with it).