Around the League: Week 3 (10/31 - 11/6)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League: Week 3 (10/31 - 11/6)

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:42 am
Stan Van Gundy was talking in the game about Zion(and Stan would know as he was the coach) he mentioned Zion was 10% body fat last year, so it’s not like he’s way out of shape, he’s just massive. Probably has too much muscle mass to be honest.

As for this year, he had a foot injury, so kinda hard to stay in tip top shape when you have to take it easy on your foot. But yes, it does appear he needs to cut weight somehow.
I know a player that could help him with that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:14 am
Split T wrote:
Stan Van Gundy was talking in the game about Zion(and Stan would know as he was the coach) he mentioned Zion was 10% body fat last year, so it’s not like he’s way out of shape, he’s just massive. Probably has too much muscle mass to be honest.

As for this year, he had a foot injury, so kinda hard to stay in tip top shape when you have to take it easy on your foot. But yes, it does appear he needs to cut weight somehow.
I'm not following you.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:17 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:14 am
Split T wrote:

I'm not following you.
It might be against the rules, though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Zion already Ayton'nough food!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:19 am
I think Zion already Ayton'nough food!
OK... I get it now. A little slow on the uptake this morning.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

This guy could tell Zion about not staying in shape ...

https://www.wholehogsports.com/news/202 ... dy-rookie/

"The fans didn't bother me with what they said. All that did was motivate me. My feeling was, 'Yeah, I'm a fat guy, but I'm kicking your butt on my court.' "

Miller said that when Sean Rooks, a 6-9 center who played in the NBA at the same time as Miller, died from heart disease in 2016 at age 46, it was a wake-up call that he needed to lose weight.

"When Sean died, it really hit me hard," Miller said. "So I started walking, and I started seeing results in the mirror, and I was happy with it. Each week I just pushed myself to go further and longer."

Miller has lost more than 100 pounds and is now down to 278.

"I started off walking 30 minutes, then I got up to 45, an hour. I ended up walking 5 or 6 miles a day," he said. "I cut out alcohol, and I stopped eating after 8 o'clock at night."
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I've been on a 6 month weight loss journey and so far I'm down 29 pounds. Working on another 19 which would put me at my lowest weight since I hit it on the way up 30 or so years ago.

About 3 years or so ago, I worked on my first major weight loss and got down to about where I'm at now. Maybe a little lower. But then I let up, and I remember it was at Halloween time, and then the pandemic hit, and I put it all back on plus 4 pounds. So, I'm very cognizant of not backtracking again. Plus, of course, the heart attack in July put things into perspective and changed my diet even more. I'm still a picky eater and not a salad guy but I mostly eat chicken and fish now and very rarely a cheeseburger that used to be a staple.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Eat the rainbow, 'bone.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:00 pm
I've been on a 6 month weight loss journey and so far I'm down 29 pounds. Working on another 19 which would put me at my lowest weight since I hit it on the way up 30 or so years ago.

About 3 years or so ago, I worked on my first major weight loss and got down to about where I'm at now. Maybe a little lower. But then I let up, and I remember it was at Halloween time, and then the pandemic hit, and I put it all back on plus 4 pounds. So, I'm very cognizant of not backtracking again. Plus, of course, the heart attack in July put things into perspective and changed my diet even more. I'm still a picky eater and not a salad guy but I mostly eat chicken and fish now and very rarely a cheeseburger that used to be a staple.
Nice work Bone!

I added 40 pounds from the start of the pandemic until this summer. I would like to blame it on the pandemic, but we've had a lot of family stuff going on that really what made me lose my focus.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:59 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:00 pm

Nice work Bone!

I added 40 pounds from the start of the pandemic until this summer. I would like to blame it on the pandemic, but we've had a lot of family stuff going on that really what made me lose my focus.
Yeah, it's very easy to lose focus and I'm really sorry you've had to go through what you're going through.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:34 pm
Eat the rainbow, 'bone.
Skittles?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:48 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:34 pm
Eat the rainbow, 'bone.
Skittles?
Probably not the best for the diet.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I’m a big believer in moderation. Except Lakers schadenfreude. I want the full dose straight to my aorta.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:50 pm

I’m a big believer in moderation. Except Lakers schadenfreude. I want the full dose straight to my aorta.
All things in moderation … especially moderation!! 😂

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What a mess that Simmons saga is. The team seems to be "winning" thus far. They're 7-2 and #1 in the East without him. It looks pretty clear that they don't need him to succeed. Any hope he had that he could hold out and hurt the team until they were pressured to panic trade him goes out the window when you see that they're at the top of their conference.

I'm not fully on one side or the other in the "player empowerment" debate. I like letting players have some power over where they play and various contract terms. I don't like when guys sign big contracts and then pout or demand trades. I also think the Sixers threw him under the bus in the recent playoffs and treated him pretty badly, blaming him publicly in the media for their TEAM failures. Simmons was part of why they lost, but you don't air that in press conferences and diss him to reporters and say he isn't capable of being your point guard. That was unprofessional of them.

If I were Simmons, I would be letting the team know I want to be traded, but I'd show up and play until they can trade me. You'll get a better return for him if he's playing and playing well; somebody will want to trade for him. If he looks messed up and may not even be ready or able to play, who's going to give up assets for that? He'll just be stuck there indefinitely. And Morey seems savvy enough to avoid just dumping him for scraps just to make a move. Simmons isn't getting out of there until he shows more stability.

I do feel like between this issue and the Royce Young thing with Houston a few years back, Morey may not be showing the best track record of dealing with players with mental illness or confidence issues. Some guys don't respond well to "tough love," and you have to do what you can to reach and inspire all of your players. They've made this Simmons situation a lot worse than it needed to be.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I had to watch it twice to believe my eyes. WTF?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Feel like I could have stayed in front of Harden in that clip, yikes

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I was watching it live. I’ve got him on one of my fantasy teams and he’s killing me.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Lucky for you we don't count turnovers.