Around the League: Week 4 (11/7 - 11/13)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Around the League: Week 4 (11/7 - 11/13)

Post by LazarusLong »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:33 pm
Anyone here still willing to take Zion over Ayton? I remember having this argument last year. Telling folks how he'll always be injury prone due to his dimensions and athleticism. Many were convinced he was destined for greatness.

Still waiting for it. Still nowhere close to being healthy or in shape.
I posted elsewhere about Barkley commenting that Zion looked like the product of Shaq and Charles contributing to make a baby ...

Zion has great basketball skills, but he needs to get down to about 270 or so.
The extra weight will destroy his knees, eventually.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Anyone here still willing to take Zion over Ayton? I remember having this argument last year. Telling folks how he'll always be injury prone due to his dimensions and athleticism. Many were convinced he was destined for greatness.

I think everyone understood the injury risks…And yes, if you told me I could trade Ayton for Zion I would. Might shatter in our face, but Zion was already better last year than Ayton will ever be. I’d take the risk. If he finds a way to stay healthy I have no doubt a Booker/Bridges/Zion core is winning a title.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don’t know if I agree that Zion is better than Ayton will ever be. He’s a far more aggressive offensive player and uses his size and athleticism to get to the rim and for that I don’t think Ayton will ever exceed him. But Ayton’s impact on the defensive end and his ability to rebound (which still has a lot of room for improvement) is superior and one could argue better than zion can ever be too. Ayton will also never be the ball handler and passer that Zion will be. Overall impact is uncertain but the injuries scare me.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

OKC have won 4 in a row
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:

I think everyone understood the injury risks…And yes, if you told me I could trade Ayton for Zion I would. Might shatter in our face, but Zion was already better last year than Ayton will ever be. I’d take the risk. If he finds a way to stay healthy I have no doubt a Booker/Bridges/Zion core is winning a title.
Every year since he's been in the league has been red flags about his injury risks and they've always come to light. What good does his talent do when he's always hurt and never in great NBA shape to sustain a full season? Are we really going to keep holding onto the hype vs the reality with Zion? Do you, Split T, think he's going to have a relatively long and prosperous NBA career?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:40 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:

Every year since he's been in the league has been red flags about his injury risks and they've always come to light. What good does his talent do when he's always hurt and never in great NBA shape to sustain a full season? Are we really going to keep holding onto the hype vs the reality with Zion? Do you, Split T, think he's going to have a relatively long and prosperous NBA career?
I mean I have no idea if he will, I think it’s very likely he doesn’t. It’d be a big risk as Ayton looks like he’ll at least be a solid near all-star level big that scores efficiently and plays good D. Zion just has MVP level upside. I’d take that risk.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:47 pm
I don’t know if I agree that Zion is better than Ayton will ever be. He’s a far more aggressive offensive player and uses his size and athleticism to get to the rim and for that I don’t think Ayton will ever exceed him. But Ayton’s impact on the defensive end and his ability to rebound (which still has a lot of room for improvement) is superior and one could argue better than zion can ever be too. Ayton will also never be the ball handler and passer that Zion will be. Overall impact is uncertain but the injuries scare me.
I thought Zion was a top 15 guy last year. I don’t ever see Ayton being that. Ya the defense is a major question for Zion, but he’s essentially unguardable on offense. Too strong, too quick, too skilled. His combination of scoring volume and efficiency at the rim was absolutely bonkers. He could be to at rim scoring as Curry was/is to 3pt shooting.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm inclined to believe part of the problem for Zion is playing for the Pelicans in the first place. It says something about him that he hasn't really overcome that obstacle at all, but I think there's a lot left to be uncovered once he gets to a team of his choosing.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:14 pm
pickle wrote:
I thought Zion was a top 15 guy last year. I don’t ever see Ayton being that. Ya the defense is a major question for Zion, but he’s essentially unguardable on offense. Too strong, too quick, too skilled. His combination of scoring volume and efficiency at the rim was absolutely bonkers. He could be to at rim scoring as Curry was/is to 3pt shooting.
I think these top so and so rankings are both valid and a little superfluous at the same time. Yes Zion is one of the top stars in the league but a lot of that has to do with marketing and how much people enjoy offense and certainly his brand of offense is something special that people pay to see. But in terms of his impact on winning, it’s hard to say that he is necessarily better than Ayton. He’s not convincingly better from what I’ve seen to the point where I’d want to take on that injury risk, guess that’s where I’m at.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Crazy lol

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Can't compare Zion to DA. Zion plays like a 6-1 guard who can't shoot, except he's 6-7 280 and can jump out of the gym so his highlights are ridiculous. But he's not a dominant big in the traditional sense and not really what we need. DA, for all his faults, does a ton more for us now based on the rest of the roster than Zion would if we had him.
Last edited by ShelC on Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:18 am
Crazy lol

Even crazier is that the Lakers had the highest odds for winning the championship this season before it started.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I feel like I’ve seen them recently and they still have the highest odds to win the west.

I still think they can be dangerous. Lebron hasn’t played much and with him and AD they don’t need a whole lot more if both are healthy. We’ll see if they survive the regular season though.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31 pm
I feel like I’ve seen them recently and they still have the highest odds to win the west.

I still think they can be dangerous. Lebron hasn’t played much and with him and AD they don’t need a whole lot more if both are healthy. We’ll see if they survive the regular season though.
They look good. Dominant, even. Especially last night.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:34 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31 pm

They look good. Dominant, even. Especially last night.
I think you meant dominated. :D
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

pickle wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:50 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:14 pm
pickle wrote:
I think these top so and so rankings are both valid and a little superfluous at the same time. Yes Zion is one of the top stars in the league but a lot of that has to do with marketing and how much people enjoy offense and certainly his brand of offense is something special that people pay to see. But in terms of his impact on winning, it’s hard to say that he is necessarily better than Ayton. He’s not convincingly better from what I’ve seen to the point where I’d want to take on that injury risk, guess that’s where I’m at.
Zion is so top heavy that I can't see him lasting more than five years, unfortunately. Guy's a bowling ball on tiny little legs.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

CAVS move to 9-5