Around the League: Week 4 (11/7 - 11/13)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Week 4 (11/7 - 11/13)

Post by ShelC »

I don't know if the Cavs are really for real, but Garland, Mobley and Allen are an exciting young trio and Rubio is the veteran PG helping them take a big step this year.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:02 am
I don't know if the Cavs are really for real, but Garland, Mobley and Allen are an exciting young trio and Rubio is the veteran PG helping them take a big step this year.
They're really fun. Mobley is looking like a real star. And I'm of course happy for my guy Rubio to have found a better situation.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Random thoughts about the league today:

https://www.espn.com/nba/standings

- I can't believe the Wizards are #1 in the East at 9-3! WTF?! I actually haven't watched any of their games; what is going on in DC?

- The Raptors are surprisingly decent, too. Happy they've found a really good rookie in Scottie Barnes. Folks are excited about him. His defense is really fun to watch.

- The champion Bucks are currently at 6-7 and would be out of the playoffs if they started today. They've had a lot of players out due to injury. I'm sure it's a temporary setback, but wow.

- The Celtics are also out of the top-8 with a 6-7 record. I really don't like their roster. They have some nice individual pieces like Tatum and Brown, but the overall team seems very me-first and doesn't feel like a winning group.

- The Atlanta Hawks are in the middle of a horrible losing streak and are currently 4-9 for 13th in the East. Oof! I really like this young team and thought they'd be better; hope they figure it out.

- In the West, the Warriors have the #1 seed and the league's best record overall at 11-1. I thought they were overhyped going into this year, but wow. Curry looks to be in top form, and most of the moves they made this offseason seem to have worked out beautifully. Some of it is also addition by subtraction, getting rid of net-negative guys like Kent Bazemore and Kelly Oubre. Not sure if this is sustainable; their second-leading scorer is Jordan Poole, and their third-leading is Andrew Wiggins. I don't know if I trust those guys over the course of a whole season.

- After the Warriors, our Suns are #2 in the West at 8-3. Then a big clump of 8-4 and 8-5 teams follow. Not many huge surprises there, except for maybe the Lakers down in the #7 seed with a 7-6 record. It has been really fun to hate-watch them this year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Wizards are a nice surprise and I like a bunch of their players - Dinwiddie, Kuz, Harrell - who are really solid roleplayers but castoff to DC and have been a great fit next to Beal. They also still have Thomas Bryant and Hachimura coming back at some point which will help their depth. I don't know if that's a longterm kind of roster and they need more talent on the perimeter but I like that kind of upstart veteran team that plays with a chip on its shoulder.

I've seen the Raps a few times this year and they remind me of the pre-KD/Kyrie/Harden/Nash Nets - they don't have the most talent but they play hard and execute which is a credit to Nurse and their culture. VanVleet really holds that team together and they've been doing it mostly with Siakam.

C's have been overrated a while. Not a lot of talent on the roster in general. Hawks have the talent and I was wondering if Nate would get the same production out of them for a whole season that he got in the playoffs. His teams tend to underperform and slip up. Trae talking about the regular season being boring compared to the playoffs didn't help any when that's supposed to be the guy leading the team and setting the tone.

I'm really looking forward to out games with the Ws because I don't really believe in that record or roster. Like you said, Poole and Wiggins are their 2nd and 3rd guys...might be hard to sustain. I very, very, very much want to see see put the clamps on Steph.

The Knicks were hyped after last season's success and felt they upgraded with Kemba and Fournier over Elfrid and Reggie Bullock but have had a choppy start. Kemba hasn't been great with Randle thus far and their 3pt defense has been pretty bad. I do think they just need to learn how to make the pieces fit, similar to us last year starting 8-8 and figuring CP and Book. But it's NY and Thibs so the clock is already ticking.

The Hornets have a fun, athletic roster but Melo needs a go-to scorer. Not sure how/where they upgrade on that roster.

Thought the Pacers would be better with Carlisle but they're hovering around .500. Turner's had some big games with Sabonis' numbers have dipped. Levert's had some nice games tho. Duarte already looks like a 10 year pro.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Hornets/Warriors game tonight might be a fun one. I'm recording the Hornets broadcast with their fun pxp guy.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not confident that'll be a close game. The Warriors smoked them recently and Curry loves to put on a show in Charlotte, essentially his "hometown".
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Wizards are good because they got rid of Westbrook. Not only that, they were able to get the Lakers to move actually useful players for Westbrook's contract. As Chris Vernon from the Ringer podcast would say, all of the Wizards' main rotation players don't suck. I'd say a couple of the starters aren't necessarily starter quality, but they go maybe 12 deep with guys who belong in a top 10 rotation somewhere. It's easier to win in the regular season with depth, as the cliche goes.

I'm surprised by the Celtics. I actually thought that they put together a solid cast of youth and veterans and everybody has a defined role, and I was expecting them to play above expectations. Of all their main rotational players Tatum and Brown are the two most ball dominant players. Because they are solid to good on the defensive end they don't get labeled selfish, and they may not be personality-wise, but their on court play is not maximizing their personal talents, let alone those around them.

Poole has been solid, but Wiggins was their 3rd best scorer last year, and there really isn't any other true scorer on their roster besides Steph and Klay. Back when they were obliterating the league in the 73-9 season, they had Barbosa and Shaun Livingston, and their bench was outscoring opponents. Don't think they have quite that luxury now.

I'm actually surprised that the Lakers' record is as good as it is. They've come out on top on several very close games.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Clippers Bulls game down to the wire.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:35 pm
I'm not confident that'll be a close game. The Warriors smoked them recently and Curry loves to put on a show in Charlotte, essentially his "hometown".
It was wire to wire from start to finish with the Hornets coming out on top in the end. Great game.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yeah, I caught the end of it. Not really what I expected at all.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Does anybody else watch JXMY HIGHROLLER on YouTube? He has really good basketball content. His latest talks about the new foul rule. Good stuff.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’m pretty sure KAT will be available. Minny sucks, if he hasn’t asked for a trade already, it’s coming. He claimed his account was hacked when he “liked” a tweet saying #freeKAT. Is he moved before the deadline? I say yes. Question is where…

My top contenders:

Golden State - They’ve got some nice young players(Wiseman, Moody, Kuminga)

OKC - Gauntlet of picks

New Orleans - Also have some picks…KAT seems like a better fit than Ingram next to Zion

Phoenix - Ayton

Honestly feels like he’s ours if we want him. No one has a better right now player available that also has major upside and is seemingly a good fit for Minny. Of course OKC could trump anyone if they decide to, not sure KAT would be who they throw their cards in for though.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:47 am

I’m pretty sure KAT will be available. Minny sucks, if he hasn’t asked for a trade already, it’s coming. He claimed his account was hacked when he “liked” a tweet saying #freeKAT. Is he moved before the deadline? I say yes. Question is where…

My top contenders:

OKC - Gauntlet of picks

New Orleans - Also have some picks…KAT seems like a better fit than Ingram next to Zion

Phoenix - Ayton

Honestly feels like he’s ours if we want him. No one has a better right now player available that also has major upside and is seemingly a good fit for Minny. Of course OKC could trump anyone if they decide to, not sure KAT would be who they throw their cards in for though.
The Golden State possibility is scary.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:09 pm
Split T wrote:

My top contenders:

OKC - Gauntlet of picks

Phoenix - Ayton

They don't have Ayton. If we could fish Ayton, I don't see how those youngins in Golden State can compare to what we could offer.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:30 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:09 pm
Split T wrote:

My top contenders:

OKC - Gauntlet of picks

Phoenix - Ayton

They don't have Ayton. If we could fish Ayton, I don't see how those youngins in Golden State can compare to what we could offer.
Nobody wasn't Jalen, and Dario is lost money since he can't play. So really it is just Ayton. So if Minny wanted playerS, they would take a GSW deal. Unless you want to part with Ayton and Cam or something like that.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ayton is at least an actual good player. None of the Warriors players are good right now. They are all potential. But Minny isn’t close to being good right now, especially not without KAT. They’re building around Edwards, who while exciting, is not ready for the big time yet. So maybe they take the chance that at least 2 of those 3 warrior guys hit and the offer surpasses the suns offer.

If the Warriors get KAT, lookout. Curry, KAT, and Klay? My goodness they would be unstoppable offensively.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If the Warriors could trade Wiseman / Kuminga and other bantha fodder for KAT, that would be an absolute steal. I don't believe in any of the Warriors' recent draft picks. Wiseman is okay at best and Kuminga is years away. Getting a ready-to-win vet like KAT would just be nasty. I hope that doesn't happen.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Hopefully, Kat has some saying on it and ask for a chance to play with his buddy Devin.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I feel like Minny would want Ayton over anything GS has to offer. OKC would be the team that could trump anyone’s offer. I’m waiting to see what they eventually do with all those picks.

pickle

Post by pickle »

KAT and Wiggins reunion!