Game Day: Suns (13-3) @ Spurs (4-11), Mon 11/22/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day: Suns (13-3) @ Spurs (4-11), Mon 11/22/21

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

By contrast, I thought Ayton was really poor in the closing stretch. He allowed Derrick White to stop him twice under the rim. Once was initially called a foul and reversed on a challenge by the Spurs and the second time White just took the ball from him. Those are examples where I want to see him be like Amare and attack the rim with force through the defender.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I missed the end so I only got the good Ayton show tonight

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:14 pm
By contrast, I thought Ayton was really poor in the closing stretch. He allowed Derrick White to stop him twice under the rim. Once was initially called a foul and reversed on a challenge by the Spurs and the second time White just took the ball from him. Those are examples where I want to see him be like Amare and attack the rim with force through the defender.
It was bizarre that they overturned that call. I thought White clearly hit him in the head with his left hand.

pickle

Post by pickle »

It doesn't bother me that they overturned that call... there wasn't enough contact honestly to cause Ayton to miss that shot. He really does need to go up strong and try to dunk it in that situation and force more contact or get the score.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:43 pm
Why Ayton doesn't try to dunk everything within 3 feet of the basket is completely beyond me.
It's gotten to the point where I don't even question it anymore. I just assume he's always going to shoot a little bunny. When he occasionally dunks it, I'm always surprised. Luckily he's able to clean up a lot of his misses. Maybe he just likes the extra rebounds.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:50 pm
Somehow this has turned into a nail-biter.
FF and I did our very best to jinx this game with all our Spurs suck talk but in the end, the Suns are too good and the Spurs suck.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:06 am
pickle wrote:
Why Ayton doesn't try to dunk everything within 3 feet of the basket is completely beyond me.
It's gotten to the point where I don't even question it anymore. I just assume he's always going to shoot a little bunny. When he occasionally dunks it, I'm always surprised. Luckily he's able to clean up a lot of his misses. Maybe he just likes the extra rebounds.
Somebody said he’s not an explosive leaper and I buy that narrative. He dunks when he can have a one two step without being bumped. Rarely see him go up into a man and dunk over their head like Shaq or reach around with his long arm to flush like McGee.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:34 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:29 pm
Yep, that's a max player move. Read and react with a hard two-dribble move to the rim. Still would like to see him finish with more force in that situation, but it's progress.
Ya I’m just imagining what Amaré would do there…wouldn’t that be something if we could infuse Ayton with Amaré’s aggressiveness.
If Ayton had Amare's aggressiveness, he would have gotten the super max on day one it was available.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

pickle wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:10 am
Superbone wrote:
pickle wrote:
Somebody said he’s not an explosive leaper and I buy that narrative. He dunks when he can have a one two step without being bumped. Rarely see him go up into a man and dunk over their head like Shaq or reach around with his long arm to flush like McGee.
Here's a thought, McGee is helping us appreciate Ayton differently. McGee has the positioning, timing, and explosiveness we've been waiting to see from Ayton. OTOH, if McGee had Ayton's footwork and soft touch out to 18-feet, he'd be in the NBA 75th Anniversary team.

McGee is on a serious role right now, and my only concern is that he's peaking too early. Remember, he was in the playoffs, even if he didn't play a ton of minutes, and the Olympics. They have to be cautious with his health.

I liked that post game clip from Ayton. He sounded more mature, speaking less in hyperbole. That's a sign that he's understanding the game more and becoming comfortable. I'm fine with his more finesse style around the rim if he can start thinking the game instead of just being a part of it.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I’m not terribly worried about his endurance. 18 mpg is not a terrible burden, but I do worry about him breaking in half like a twig given how long he is. Kind of reminds me of how 76er fans gasp every time Embiid falls when I see him take a tumble.

And yeah I think these two bigs bring different things to the table. Love the one two punch we put on the floor at 5 this year. Might be a bit early to say this but I wouldn’t mind McGee finishing his career in the valley.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

13 straight.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

pickle wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:08 am
I’m not terribly worried about his endurance. 18 mpg is not a terrible burden, but I do worry about him breaking in half like a twig given how long he is. Kind of reminds me of how 76er fans gasp every time Embiid falls when I see him take a tumble.

And yeah I think these two bigs bring different things to the table. Love the one two punch we put on the floor at 5 this year. Might be a bit early to say this but I wouldn’t mind McGee finishing his career in the valley.
Yea not so worried about his health. He was hardly playing for the Nugs and didn't play much in the Olympics either IINM. I didn't want to get too far ahead either, but I just love what he brings to the team and wouldn't mind him off the bench for another 2 years in this role. I get why he didnt play so much for the Nugs but don't really understand how other teams passed or let him go in FA. How did the Ws let him go a few years back? Or the Lakers? I always wonder if there's something there we're not seeing - in the lockerroom or in practice - where teams figure he's not worth bringing back or not a good fit but he seems great here.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:11 am
pickle wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:08 am

Yea not so worried about his health. He was hardly playing for the Nugs and didn't play much in the Olympics either IINM. I didn't want to get too far ahead either, but I just love what he brings to the team and wouldn't mind him off the bench for another 2 years in this role. I get why he didnt play so much for the Nugs but don't really understand how other teams passed or let him go in FA. How did the Ws let him go a few years back? Or the Lakers? I always wonder if there's something there we're not seeing - in the lockerroom or in practice - where teams figure he's not worth bringing back or not a good fit but he seems great here.
Honestly, I think GMs and coaches fall too much for the "Shaqtin' a Fool" lazy narrative. When you have casual fans (and some casual front-office folks) thinking you're a knucklehead on the court, I think it's forced McGee's under the radar a bit.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:48 am

I really hope they run out of characters before this streak is over.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:54 pm
Ha! Book ain't the only one waiting +3 years. Every suns fan is on that list, too.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:34 am
pickle wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:10 am
Superbone wrote:
pickle wrote:
Here's a thought, McGee is helping us appreciate Ayton differently. McGee has the positioning, timing, and explosiveness we've been waiting to see from Ayton. OTOH, if McGee had Ayton's footwork and soft touch out to 18-feet, he'd be in the NBA 75th Anniversary team.

McGee is on a serious role right now, and my only concern is that he's peaking too early. Remember, he was in the playoffs, even if he didn't play a ton of minutes, and the Olympics. They have to be cautious with his health.

I liked that post game clip from Ayton. He sounded more mature, speaking less in hyperbole. That's a sign that he's understanding the game more and becoming comfortable. I'm fine with his more finesse style around the rim if he can start thinking the game instead of just being a part of it.
Good observation. Might've just been last night's presser but he seemed more serious, more mature and echoed everything about 1 game at a time, the culture, etc. Seems some of that stuff is sinking in and he's understanding what's at stake and what it takes to get there. Just speculation, but maybe not giving him the max deal he wanted right away opened his eyes a bit?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Perhaps seeing both of his backups (McGee and Kaminsky) turning in numerous peak performances made him realize he's not indispensable.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And Ayton is getting older, has a family and that tends to mature people. He was a little kid when he got here mentally. Now he’s a man.

An observation. I like Tom Leander. He seems like a great guy but, I am definitely not a fan of Tom Leander as a play by play guy for the Suns in the past. He was annoying and tried too hard to become Al McCoy with his “Elevate and detonate” type sayings. I saw he was announcing and cringed. I have to say he wasn’t horrible. He toned it down and slowed down and I wasn’t annoyed by him. Good job!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:10 pm
And Ayton is getting older, has a family and that tends to mature people. He was a little kid when he got here mentally. Now he’s a man.

An observation. I like Tom Leander. He seems like a great guy but, I am definitely not a fan of Tom Leander as a play by play guy for the Suns in the past. He was annoying and tried too hard to become Al McCoy with his “Elevate and detonate” type sayings. I saw he was announcing and cringed. I have to say he wasn’t horrible. He toned it down and slowed down and I wasn’t annoyed by him. Good job!
I love how you end this! :lol:

I still think he is bad at play by play. He just just host, so I can ignore that show.

Also, I think we are spoiled with EJ as a commentator.