2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
3rdside

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:50 am
3rdside wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:13 pm
I’d include myself in that dataset! That might sound a little condescending otherwise …
none of us on here ever sound condescending. ;)
lol

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Tell me something I don't know. In other news, Chris Wallace is moving from Fox to CNN.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Longtime anchor Brian Williams leaving NBC after 28 years
Williams will sign off at the end of the year with “28 years, 38 countries, 8 Olympic games, 7 presidential elections, half a dozen presidents, a few wars and one SNL" under his belt.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lo ... s-rcna5042
Williams, 62, hosted his last episode of his nightly MSNBC Show “The 11th Hour,” giving viewers a piece of his mind about the future of the country, and vowing to return to the public eye in some capacity.

“I’m not a liberal or a conservative. I’m an institutionalist. I believe in this place and in my love of country. I yield to no one. But the darkness on the edge of town has spread to main roads,” Williams said.

“Grown men and women who swore an oath to our Constitution, elected by their constituents … have decided to join the mob and become something they are not,” he continued.

Williams didn’t elaborate, but added, “That should scare you to no end.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hey, Republicans think doing this is really bad, right?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

We should prosecute all those that have done that with top secret and official business.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:19 pm
Hey, Republicans think doing this is really bad, right?

Only when women do it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Now they've been reading texts showing that several Fox News hosts were texting back-and-forth with Meadows and the White House all during 1/6, saying it looked bad for them (GOP) and urging Trump to do something ... But then when he didn't, they gleefully went on their shows that night and said Antifa caused the riot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Boebert tried to tell the rioters how to find Pelosi during 1/6. I think she may be in trouble.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think the Dems are going to do much of anything. They continue to bring stuffed animals to a gun fight.

Every single one of them should be using their staff to be on every single tv outlet, every print outlet, and major online outlets to talk about what they are finding. You beat this drum every hour of every day. Every floor speech you give should be accompanied by something like "and unlike my colleagues from across the aisle, I don't support insurrection and have never violated my oath to defend the constitution." Instead we get snippets here and there on twitter.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yeah, the Dems aren’t very good at messaging at all.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:34 am
Part of it is because there aren't billions and billions and billions to be made by private 'investors' by messaging for them. The Murdock family has made billions, and then avoided hundreds of millions in taxes by convincing people a trillion dollar tax give away was good. There isn't a benefit for extremely rich people to promote something similar on the other end of the political spectrum. So the politicians have to do it themselves, and that isn't something politicians are practiced/trained at doing, much less the lack of capital.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:51 am
Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:34 am
Part of it is because there aren't billions and billions and billions to be made by private 'investors' by messaging for them. The Murdock family has made billions, and then avoided hundreds of millions in taxes by convincing people a trillion dollar tax give away was good. There isn't a benefit for extremely rich people to promote something similar on the other end of the political spectrum. So the politicians have to do it themselves, and that isn't something politicians are practiced/trained at doing, much less the lack of capital.
What are you speaking about here?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

It doesn't take much google time to find articles explaining how the Murdoch family has been using tax loopholes they advocated for to skirt taxes everywhere they do business, including the US.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't like Murdoch, so I could care less if you bash him. Go ahead and bash away, and beat that dead horse. Does he own every media outlet? If not, how much of the media does he control?

As far as the "trillion dollar tax give away", I'm pretty sure that it benefited the middle and working class. I know that I benefited from it, as part of the middle class. In fact, the IRS data is showing that.

The Hill
IRS data proves Trump tax cuts benefited middle, working-class Americans most
Justin Haskins, Opinion Contributor - Dec 4

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AARsJrs

President Biden and congressional Democrats' Build Back Better (BBB) Act is now in the hands of the Senate. That legislative body's 50-50 partisan split will undoubtedly make the bill's passage difficult.

In order for BBB to become law, Democratic Senate leadership will need to convince moderates such as Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) that the legislation's $2.4 trillion price tag can be offset by expanding the IRS and its enforcement efforts while imposing substantial tax reform measures.

Congressional Democrats have argued that one of the best ways to pay for the legislation is to raise taxes on wealthy households, which, according to many on the left, have benefited disproportionately and unfairly from the 2017 tax reform law passed by Republicans and signed by former President Trump. The latest data, however, proves that this claim is pure mythology.

Income data published by the IRS clearly show that on average all income brackets benefited substantially from the Republicans' tax reform law, with the biggest beneficiaries being working and middle-income filers, not the top 1 percent, as so many Democrats have argued.

Spoiler: show/hide

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

As far as politicians benefiting from their position, it doesn't seem likely to change any time soon. That is the message.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You are smarter than to take the twisted stats from Glen Beck's co-author. 9% of a billion dollars is a lot more than 20% of 50k.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, I wish I would have gotten 9% of a billion dollars cut off my own taxes. That would have been outstanding. I would be getting paid for yrs and yrs on those tax cuts, haha.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

In the spirit of money. This was interest-ing. ;)
Who was dumb enough to actually think it was "transitory" to begin with?