Coronavirus

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Nodack »

Got an update on my bro and his wife from my brother. They both got pneumonia when they got Covid. He’s still in the hospital and she is home on oxygen. I asked if they were vaccinated and he said no. He wanted to point out that most of the people in the hospital with Covid were vaccinated and made it clear that getting the vaccine does absolutely nothing to prevent or lessen Covid symptoms. I said I am not so sure about that. He said our media is lying to us. He was also mad at a nurse who wanted him to use a bed pan to go to the bathroom instead of letting him go to the bathroom because she is from Canada and they have Socialized health care there. I wasn’t sure how he came to that conclusion but decided I would skip the politics and just wish him well. He sounds like he is improving. As soon as his blood oxygen level gets better and he isn’t on 100% oxygen 24/7 they will consider discharging him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:21 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:33 am
I'm sure that feels like $8.97 to you, Rockefeller.
At least Indy doesn't literally sit on a gold toilet in his penthouse. :-)
The funny thing is that I have only filled 3 Rxs for it because they have a trial program where you can get your first few for $10 if you sign away your rights of privacy and promise to share your experiences with it. So it really did feel like that price. :P

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:13 am
I have migraine meds that cost $897 for 10 pills.
Here I am complaining about $100 a month ... every little helps, lol

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:16 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:21 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:33 am
I'm sure that feels like $8.97 to you, Rockefeller.
At least Indy doesn't literally sit on a gold toilet in his penthouse. :-)
The funny thing is that I have only filled 3 Rxs for it because they have a trial program where you can get your first few for $10 if you sign away your rights of privacy and promise to share your experiences with it. So it really did feel like that price. :P
I knew you were too smart to pay that price. 8-)
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:24 pm
Got an update on my bro and his wife from my brother. They both got pneumonia when they got Covid. He’s still in the hospital and she is home on oxygen. I asked if they were vaccinated and he said no. He wanted to point out that most of the people in the hospital with Covid were vaccinated and made it clear that getting the vaccine does absolutely nothing to prevent or lessen Covid symptoms. I said I am not so sure about that. He said our media is lying to us. He was also mad at a nurse who wanted him to use a bed pan to go to the bathroom instead of letting him go to the bathroom because she is from Canada and they have Socialized health care there. I wasn’t sure how he came to that conclusion but decided I would skip the politics and just wish him well. He sounds like he is improving. As soon as his blood oxygen level gets better and he isn’t on 100% oxygen 24/7 they will consider discharging him.
Sigh.

Almost all of the people hospitalized in my network are unvaccinated. He’s literally making shit up.

And making you use a bedpan has nothing to do with Canada, what the hell does that even mean? How does one jump to that conclusion? It’s to reduce exposure risk to everyone else by having you not use the restrooms others use. It’s pretty common policy.

Sorry your family is sick, regardless. Hope they make a full recovery

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

3rdside wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:02 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:36 pm
Not Vaccinated? In Singapore, You’ll Pay for Your Own Covid-19 Treatment
People who haven’t received shots account for a disproportionate amount of the strain on healthcare resources, authorities say
https://www.wsj.com/articles/not-vaccin ... 1638965343
Singapore’s government has paid the full treatment costs of nearly all Covid-19 patients since last year, under a pandemic-era policy to ensure financial considerations wouldn’t add to public concern about the disease. On Wednesday, the government withdrew that support for those who choose to go unvaccinated.
This sets a bad precedent for an already greedy, corrupt money making industry that is insurance companies.

Have high cholesterol? It’s your fault you had a heart attack, not paying.

Drink alcohol? We’re not paying for your pancreatitis, maybe you shouldn’t have drank.

Get into a car accident while speeding? Your fault, if you were going the speed limit you wouldn’t have been so injured.

I am angry with this sector of society as much as anyone else, but this isn’t the solution.
You assume Singapore healthcare is the same as the US!

It’s ranked number one in the world:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Singapore

And Mori, Singapore is what every capitalist society wishes it was (in response to your trickle down economics comment) - low tax, very high wealth but low poverty and misery levels.

Very broadly speaking everyone who is poor has a property to live in courtesy of the government and can access infrastructure like public transport and healthcare.

Here’s a pretty good article on it:

https://asiatimes.com/2021/07/why-singa ... main-rich/
I really couldn’t care less about Singapore to be honest. Im sure it’s great there. I’m referring to adopting that policy in the US.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:11 pm
Nodack wrote:
Sigh.

Almost all of the people hospitalized in my network are unvaccinated. He’s literally making shit up.

And making you use a bedpan has nothing to do with Canada, what the hell does that even mean? How does one jump to that conclusion? It’s to reduce exposure risk to everyone else by having you not use the restrooms others use. It’s pretty common policy.

I suspect some of my brother’s bs was a defense mechanism to him getting really sick from Covid and not getting the vaccine and having to be right. He mentioned something about the doctor being Indian and telling him the vaccine makes no difference and she was willing to tell him the truth that American doctors wouldn’t. I’m not buying it.

I just got a text tonight saying he was back home. I guess he got the vaccine the hard way.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:50 am
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:11 pm
Nodack wrote:
Sigh.

I suspect some of my brother’s bs was a defense mechanism to him getting really sick from Covid and not getting the vaccine and having to be right. He mentioned something about the doctor being Indian and telling him the vaccine makes no difference and she was willing to tell him the truth that American doctors wouldn’t. I’m not buying it.

I just got a text tonight saying he was back home. I guess he got the vaccine the hard way.
I wouldn't call that the vaccine. It looks like 'natural immunity' drops the antibodies more quickly than the Pfizer/ModeRNA vaccines. Like, hasn't MPJ had COVID 3 times now?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

More and more data is emerging showing that "natural immunity" from having caught COVID is much worse long-term at stopping future infections than being vaccinated is.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

First Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa:
Peak 7-day moving average of cases: 19,157 on January 11
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths: 577 on January 14
Death rate: 3.0%

Second Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Delta):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases: 20,076 on July 8
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths: 419 on July 26
Death rate: 2.1%

Third Covid wave of 2021 in South Africa (Omicron):
Peak 7-day moving average of cases (so far): 23,437 on December 17
Peak 7-day moving average of deaths (so far): 31
Death rate: 0.13%

(Data taken from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... th-africa/)

While the Omicron wave hasn’t quite peaked yet in South Africa, the data look very encouraging so far.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Eh, well, I hope so, but some other nations like Denmark are seeing more troubling numbers. Looking only at cases and deaths like you did there ignores hospitalizations and other serious cases that, while non fatal, really harmed the infected person. Denmark is seeing their hospitals overrun with ill patients who need medical care. Most will not die, but acting like COVID is either death or no big deal is misleading.

Indy

Post by Indy »

How much of that drop in death rate is because 50% of the population is vaccinated now?

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I do agree so far the news on Omicron re:severity is encouraging, though delta is still blasting through the world. Time will tell.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:06 pm
How much of that drop in death rate is because 50% of the population is vaccinated now?
Not much. For example, the death rate at the peak of the January wave in the US was 1.4% and for the September wave it was still 1.2% (I believe the US was over 50% fully vaccinated among total population at that time). Even now, South Africa still has only 26.3% of its total population fully vaccinated and only 31.5% with at least one dose (https://www.google.com/search?q=south+a ... ation+rate).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:13 pm
3rdside wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:
People who haven’t received shots account for a disproportionate amount of the strain on healthcare resources, authorities say
Singapore’s government has paid the full treatment costs of nearly all Covid-19 patients since last year, under a pandemic-era policy to ensure financial considerations wouldn’t add to public concern about the disease. On Wednesday, the government withdrew that support for those who choose to go unvaccinated.
This sets a bad precedent for an already greedy, corrupt money making industry that is insurance companies.

Drink alcohol? We’re not paying for your pancreatitis, maybe you shouldn’t have drank.

Get into a car accident while speeding? Your fault, if you were going the speed limit you wouldn’t have been so injured.

I am angry with this sector of society as much as anyone else, but this isn’t the solution.

And Mori, Singapore is what every capitalist society wishes it was (in response to your trickle down economics comment) - low tax, very high wealth but low poverty and misery levels.

Very broadly speaking everyone who is poor has a property to live in courtesy of the government and can access infrastructure like public transport and healthcare.

I really couldn’t care less about Singapore to be honest. Im sure it’s great there. I’m referring to adopting that policy in the US.
You comment on Singapore, I give evidence on why you're not correct about Singapore, you then declare you don't give a sh*t about Singapore...do carry on.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I care about EVERYBODY!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All countries matter!

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

3rdside wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:58 pm
specialsauce wrote:
3rdside wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nodack wrote:

You comment on Singapore, I give evidence on why you're not correct about Singapore, you then declare you don't give a sh*t about Singapore...do carry on.
My comment was meant with regards to adopting that policy in the US. I don’t have any connection to Singapore and what they choose to do over there with their system in place is not really anything that concerns me. I care about the policies at my home.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:29 pm
All countries matter!* sometimes. And depending on how the media portrays them. And the degree depends according to the Western Hemisphere to varying degrees. Facebook makes that very clear with their “temporary profile pictures” when bad things happen in SOME countries and not others because the media decided that countries have to be labeled good or bad and that determination is made by them, completely ignoring the bad and corrupt history of essentially all governments. But other than that, all countries matter.

FTFY

3rdside

Coronavirus

Post by 3rdside »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:07 pm
3rdside wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:58 pm
specialsauce wrote:
3rdside wrote:
specialsauce wrote: This sets a bad precedent for an already greedy, corrupt money making industry that is insurance companies.

My comment was meant with regards to adopting that policy in the US. I don’t have any connection to Singapore and what they choose to do over there with their system in place is not really anything that concerns me. I care about the policies at my home.
And my comment was meant with regards to you dismissing my comment .. and with that said we can both carry on.