Game Day: Hornets (16-15) @ Suns (23-5), Sunday 12/19/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: Hornets (16-15) @ Suns (23-5), Sunday 12/19/21

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:35 pm
Payton still in the rotation with Book back, we’ll see how he does.
Oof. I was wishing we had any other guard to put in there. Or not down versatile bigs like Dario or even Frank so we could just play them instead of Payton.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:40 am
This was a great game, one of our true blowouts where we could rest the important players a lot in the 4th. Loved to see the balanced scoring with 9 (!) guys in double-figures. I'm concerned about Elfrid Payton, though. As others have mentioned, he was horrible. And this was a game where everybody was getting open looks and easy shots. If we lose even one rotation guard such as Book or CP3, suddenly we're in a position where we need to give Payton real minutes. And he's been completely terrible for us this year. I do think Coach is doing the right thing by giving him minutes, because when you need him you don't want him to be completely cold and out of practice. But I hope it is building a comfort that will make him play better later in the season, because right now he's a disaster.
The playoffs are really the only time it will matter and I imagine we’d just shorten the rotation and only play Payne, Shamet, and whoever of CP3/Book is healthy. So I’m not super concerned as I don’t really see a scenario where we will need to count on Payton in the playoffs. Only if we lose 2 of our 4 guards.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Who's the best Suns backup big man we've ever had? Does McGee belong in that conversation? He's arguably putting up the same numbers as Ayton coming off the bench for us and there isn't a single drop off when Ayton gets a breather.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:37 am
Who's the best Suns backup big man we've ever had? Does McGee belong in that conversation? He's arguably putting up the same numbers as Ayton coming off the bench for us and there isn't a single drop off when Ayton gets a breather.
Mark West and Andrew Lang were a good defensive tandem, but I think Ayton and McGee have them beat for all-around skills.

I don't the Suns have ever been stronger in the post than now.
And they also have Kaminsky, who may have started on some Phoenix teams of yore ....
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:25 am
That's awesome but why did Book skip the line?
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Very nice video on Book's return:

Full Focus: Booker returns for the Suns

https://www.nba.com/watch/video/full-fo ... SLETTER%3A
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:37 am
Honestly some of are best have been recent. McGee, Baynes, Holmes. Channing Frye would be the best imo, if you count his 09-10 season where he was 50/50 starter/bench.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Always thought Steven Hunter gave us some good minutes in that first 7SOL season but nothing like JaVale this season.

Prior to Amar'e, we really struggled finding true centers who could get us over the top. I grew up watching Mark Bryant, Corie Blount, Cliffy, <CENSORED>, and the Jakes. Even Amar'e was a PF playing center. I remember thinking "we finally have a TRUE center" when we traded for Shaq. Now to watch DA and JaVale, with a PG like Paul who makes the most of their skills - it's just beautiful to watch.

THE PAINT IS FIXED!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:30 am
Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:15 am
That was definitely a horrible game by Payton. I went to check his numbers and noticed he was a +7. Not sure how they score those + or - things.

The Suns are kicking ASS! That’s allI have to say about that.
I can answer that. It’s very simple. When he was on the floor, the Suns outscored the Hornets by 7 net points. But that doesn’t mean he contributed to that. He actually brought it down from a higher number because almost every time he touched the ball, he turned it over. If you look at the Suns roster, every player had a positive +/- except for those who played in garbage time. The opposite is true for the Hornets roster. Every player has a net negative except the one guy at the end of the bench. This is all true because the Suns dominated from start to finish other than a few garbage time minutes.

So Payton had a +7 because of his teammates on the floor at the time and in spite of his horrible play. It would have been a higher number if he had contributed anything during his time. But he had a reverse Midas touch last night.
Thanks Bone.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This was on espn. Highlights Booker seeing Cam get a pass and make a wide open three but Booker turns and walks the other way without bothering to see if the shot goes in because he knew it was going in.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:52 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:40 am
This was a great game, one of our true blowouts where we could rest the important players a lot in the 4th. Loved to see the balanced scoring with 9 (!) guys in double-figures. I'm concerned about Elfrid Payton, though. As others have mentioned, he was horrible. And this was a game where everybody was getting open looks and easy shots. If we lose even one rotation guard such as Book or CP3, suddenly we're in a position where we need to give Payton real minutes. And he's been completely terrible for us this year. I do think Coach is doing the right thing by giving him minutes, because when you need him you don't want him to be completely cold and out of practice. But I hope it is building a comfort that will make him play better later in the season, because right now he's a disaster.
The playoffs are really the only time it will matter and I imagine we’d just shorten the rotation and only play Payne, Shamet, and whoever of CP3/Book is healthy. So I’m not super concerned as I don’t really see a scenario where we will need to count on Payton in the playoffs. Only if we lose 2 of our 4 guards.
I agree that the end-of-the-bench guards like Payton won't play in the playoffs. But I want them to be better so we can get some rest during the season for the players who DO matter, so that they'll be healthy and rested for the playoffs.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:31 am
This was on espn. Highlights Booker seeing Cam get a pass and make a wide open three but Booker turns and walks the other way without bothering to see if the shot goes in because he knew it was going in.

I realized he did it, but not nearly as early as he actually did. He walked away before Cam caught it, and had his hand up signaling "3" before Cam even shot it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This play had some extra significance. When we played the Hornets last year, LaMelo kept getting DA on a switch and then roasting him. Seems like this block signaled a shift in the dynamic and had a little catharsis thrown in.
Last edited by Shabazz on Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You could see that on DA's face, too.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:31 am

That's hilarious. Payne starts running to the other end too but at least he turned back and looked as he did.
"Be Legendary."