Heart Health

Discuss anything you want.
For discussions about politics, please use the Politics area instead.
Superbone

Heart Health

Post by Superbone »

Hey, just wanted to let everybody know that I'm fully recovered from my heart attack in July, 2021, which started during the 4th quarter of Game 4 of the NBA Finals as the Suns blew a 4th quarter lead. (That I haven't recovered from.) Had a new echocardiogram a few weeks ago as well as a blood test. I also finished a 12 week rehab course. My cardiologist said he wouldn't be able to tell I ever had a heart attack based on the new echocardiogram. Also my cholesterol is half of what it was after the event. It's right in the middle of where it should be.

In fact, I'm in better shape than I've been in a long time with the goal of getting into great shape and an optimal body weight which I have't been since my 20s. One of the things that has helped the most was cutting out sodas, fast foot, and cheeseburgers. It hasn't been easy but we've only got the one body and we need to take care of it.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Re: Heart Health

Post by In2ition »

Glad to hear that you're on the right track. Keep it up and stay with us for decades to come.
Last edited by In2ition on Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Hope 2022 is your healthiest year yet!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Great stuff 'Bone!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

That’s awesome Bone!

pickle

Post by pickle »

Congrats bone and thanks for thinking enough of us to let us know of your latest status!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:09 am
That’s awesome Bone!
How are YOU doing? Everything good?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:17 am
Congrats bone and thanks for thinking enough of us to let us know of your latest status!
Yeah, I was thinking I told you guys about the incident but hadn't updated you and wanted to let you know it was all good now. Still looking forward to meeting more of our crew in the future.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

NSFW or small ears:

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:50 am
Nodack wrote:
That’s awesome Bone!
I am doing well. My new valve seems to be working because I’m still here. They said my heart was returning to a more normal size too. No medications.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:15 pm
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
That’s awesome Bone!
I am doing well. My new valve seems to be working because I’m still here. They said my heart was returning to a more normal size too. No medications.
Nice! My buddy from work is going in for a valve replacement probably in January. He's hoping they don't have to open him up again.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

glad to hear both your tickers are ticking well.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:17 pm
Hey, just wanted to let everybody know that I'm fully recovered from my heart attack in July, 2021, which started during the 4th quarter of Game 4 of the NBA Finals as the Suns blew a 4th quarter lead. (That I haven't recovered from.) Had a new echocardiogram a few weeks ago as well as a blood test. I also finished a 12 week rehab course. My cardiologist said he wouldn't be able to tell I ever had a heart attack based on the new echocardiogram. Also my cholesterol is half of what it was after the event. It's right in the middle of where it should be.

In fact, I'm in better shape than I've been in a long time with the goal of getting into great shape and an optimal body weight which I have't been since my 20s. One of the things that has helped the most was cutting out sodas, fast foot, and cheeseburgers. It hasn't been easy but we've only got the one body and we need to take care of it.
Great news!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:08 pm
Nodack wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
That’s awesome Bone!
Nice! My buddy from work is going in for a valve replacement probably in January. He's hoping they don't have to open him up again.
Again? So he already had open heart surgery? So, it’s been roughly 10 years and they need to replace the old new one? They did the full skill saw to the breast bone and spread you open thing with me and they were saying it will have to be replaced at some point in the future again and they will probably be able to do it a lot less invasively. I hope your friend doesn’t have to get his chest sawed in half again for this. They use stainless wire to wire you back together at least…

Indy

Post by Indy »

sternum saws are really fun to use, if you aren't using them on a person.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:07 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:08 pm
Nodack wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Nodack wrote:
That’s awesome Bone!
Again? So he already had open heart surgery? So, it’s been roughly 10 years and they need to replace the old new one? They did the full skill saw to the breast bone and spread you open thing with me and they were saying it will have to be replaced at some point in the future again and they will probably be able to do it a lot less invasively. I hope your friend doesn’t have to get his chest sawed in half again for this. They use stainless wire to wire you back together at least…
Yes, exactly that. It's been 10 years for him. They told him the same thing that they will hopefully be able to do it less invasively this time. The only difference is that the valve wasn't replaced as part of the original open heart surgery. He explained to me that there was some kind of repair done but they told him the valve would have to be replaced eventually. It was just a matter of time. He goes in for a CT scan in a couple days. Then he'll talk with his cardiologist and see if they'll be able to go through the groin this time. Or not. :?
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They can also go through the front making two smallish holes for robotic arms to enter. My surgeon did the standard open heart thing but said he could refer me to a surgeon that does the less invasive thing. I don’t know why but I stuck with my surgeon and did the old fashion more invasive way.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Probably too late for this now, but my one piece of advice is to make sure you have the best surgeon you can find. They are not close to being created equal, or even close. I mean, sure the guys in the NBA are the best 0.000005% of people in the world at basketball. But you can have Steph Curry running your team, or Elfrid Payton. Choose wisely. Ask a ton of questions about which devices they are using (who makes the implant, for example). Then call that company and ask about who they recommend in your area. If it is a lap chole it probably doesn't matter much, but for less common things it could make a huge difference in the rest of your life.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I knew I needed open heart surgery and decided the Mayo Clinic would be a good place to start. They hooked me up with a surgeon that said he has performed over 800 open heart surgeries and I went with it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

That is a great place to go.

Did you ask how many of those 800 made it through the procedure. :P