The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by In2ition »

So I looked it up, and she said maybe we should have a National Divorce, mean succession. She walked back her comments later, but that still doesn't rise to a call for arms, violence against political opponents or civil war. This is not super surprising that no one wanted to give me a quote, source, vid or sound bite, since it didn't exist. I'm not sticking up for MTG, as her comments were not helpful, encouraging, inspiring or insightful. Not a fan.

Oh, and it turns out that her personal account was banned, for covid misinformation.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

:)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

She talked about exterminating the "termites" who oppose her politically. She's raised repeated calls for violence and dehumanizing language toward her opponents. Fuck MTG. Ban her from every platform for life.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

MTG likes comment calling for "bullet to the head" of Nancy Pelosi:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -violence/

Also:
In another, from April 2018, a commenter asked, “Now do we get to hang them ??” referring to former president Barack Obama and former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, KFile reported. In response, Greene did not denounce the suggestion of assassination and instead wrote, “Stage is being set. Players are being put in place. We must be patient. This must be done perfectly or liberal judges would let them off.”
In now-deleted posts, Greene “liked” one comment encouraging her to “beat Pelosi’s a--” and another that advocated Pelosi’s ouster “through removal or death, doesn’t matter, as long as she goes.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:30 pm
In2ition wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:25 pm
Can you give me some quotes, vid or sources? I honestly haven't seen anything, but I don't follow what craziness she says either.

I would suggest a little from all over, even CNN, Bloomberg, MSNBC, NYT, TYT, & WaPo, ect.
^ rofl

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ted Cruz Says Republicans Will Likely Impeach Biden Over Border Policy If They Win House Majority
https://www.mediaite.com/podcasts/ted-c ... -majority/
“I do think there’s a chance of that,” Cruz said in reference to a Republican House impeaching President Biden. “Whether it’s justified or not, the democrats weaponized impeachment. They used it for partisan purposes to go after Trump because they disagreed with him. One of the real disadvantages of doing that is the more you weaponize it and turn it into a partisan caudal, you know what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.”

Ted Cruz Says Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama Could Be Impeached Next
https://www.newsweek.com/ted-cruz-says- ... xt-1564723

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ha ha. What an asshat Cruz is.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

You think Cruz is doing it personally? Anyone could have said that. Even the Dems would have said the same thing. Cruz might be an asshat, but it wasn't because of these quotes.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If the GOP wins the House in 2022, you better believe Biden will be impeached. In fact, I predict they will do so 3 times, so that Biden will have been impeached more times than Trump and the most times for any US president, to take away that dishonor from Trump himself.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:20 pm
If the GOP wins the House in 2022, you better believe Biden will be impeached. In fact, I predict they will do so 3 times, so that Biden will have been impeached more times than Trump and the most times for any US president, to take away that dishonor from Trump himself.
2021-2022 may be the last years before the US is considered a failed state by future historians.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Question to everyone here including and especially In2 -- I was talking to one of the smartest folks I know with a track record of predicting the future and he thinks the US will experience a Great Moderation soon. Is there any evidence to support this possibility? Or has wishful thinking addled even the best of us? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:11 am
Question to everyone here including and especially In2 -- I was talking to one of the smartest folks I know with a track record of predicting the future and he thinks the US will experience a Great Moderation soon. Is there any evidence to support this possibility? Or has wishful thinking addled even the best of us? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
I mean if you look at most of the likely maps for congressional districts being redrawn after the 2020 census and their polling data, it looks like the GOP is likely to narrowly regain the House majority in 2022. They might even recapture the Senate majority, though that is less clear. And if they do, it will be nearly impossible for Biden to do much in the last 2 years of his Presidency. The GOP will surely weaponize any majority position they hold. By holding the House majority they will have the authority to launch countless "investigations" and even submit articles of impeachment if desired. I think giving them the majority will not lead to any "moderation" but rather to the empowerment of their extremism and antidemocratic nature.

Then we look ahead to 2024 and the next Presidential election. Biden will likely have a low popularity due to having gotten nothing done and having been impeached 3+ times in the preceding 2 years. He very well could lose the election to a reinvigorated Trump. If Trump got elected President again, it would be the end of American democracy as we know it. Even if he doesn't properly win, he and the GOP have been replacing people in crucial state/local government positions with cronies and MAGA idiots who will have no qualm about overturning the will of the people in their state on a flimsy pretext of "voter fraud." So Biden very well could win more votes and more E.votes and still be pronounced the loser.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think Democracy in America is on life support. Trump and Republicans tried and almost killed it the last election. I think they will finish the job in 2024.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

6 in 10 Americans say U.S. democracy is in crisis as the 'Big Lie' takes root

One year after the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, Americans are deeply pessimistic about the future of democracy.

A new NPR/Ipsos poll finds that 64% of Americans believe U.S. democracy is "in crisis and at risk of failing." That sentiment is felt most acutely by Republicans: Two-thirds of GOP respondents agree with the verifiably false claim that "voter fraud helped Joe Biden win the 2020 election" — a key pillar of the "Big Lie" that the election was stolen from former President Donald Trump.

Fewer than half of Republicans say they are willing to accept the results of the 2020 election — a number that has remained virtually unchanged since we asked the same question last January.

Overall, 70% of poll respondents agree that the country is in crisis and at risk of failing.

One-third of Trump voters say the attack on the Capitol was actually carried out by "opponents of Donald Trump, including antifa and government agents"
Last edited by Nodack on Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

virtual9mm wrote:
What do you mean by a Great Moderation? This is what I was given when I looked it up: "The Great Moderation is the name given to the period of decreased macroeconomic volatility experienced in the United States starting in the 1980s. ... 1 The Great Moderation can be summed up as a multi-decade period of low inflation and positive economic growth."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:33 am
virtual9mm wrote:
I mean if you look at most of the likely maps for congressional districts being redrawn after the 2020 census and their polling data, it looks like the GOP is likely to narrowly regain the House majority in 2022. They might even recapture the Senate majority, though that is less clear. And if they do, it will be nearly impossible for Biden to do much in the last 2 years of his Presidency. The GOP will surely weaponize any majority position they hold. By holding the House majority they will have the authority to launch countless "investigations" and even submit articles of impeachment if desired. I think giving them the majority will not lead to any "moderation" but rather to the empowerment of their extremism and antidemocratic nature.

Then we look ahead to 2024 and the next Presidential election. Biden will likely have a low popularity due to having gotten nothing done and having been impeached 3+ times in the preceding 2 years. He very well could lose the election to a reinvigorated Trump. If Trump got elected President again, it would be the end of American democracy as we know it. Even if he doesn't properly win, he and the GOP have been replacing people in crucial state/local government positions with cronies and MAGA idiots who will have no qualm about overturning the will of the people in their state on a flimsy pretext of "voter fraud." So Biden very well could win more votes and more E.votes and still be pronounced the loser.
These are my thoughts as well, just seeing if there is any evidence of a counterargument.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:34 am
I think Democracy in America is on life support. Trump and Republicans tried and almost killed it the last election. I think they will finish the job in 2024.
This is what will happen unless there is some kind of unforeseen turn of events.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:59 am
6 in 10 Americans say U.S. democracy is in crisis as the 'Big Lie' takes root

One year after the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, Americans are deeply pessimistic about the future of democracy.

A new NPR/Ipsos poll finds that 64% of Americans believe U.S. democracy is "in crisis and at risk of failing." That sentiment is felt most acutely by Republicans: Two-thirds of GOP respondents agree with the verifiably false claim that "voter fraud helped Joe Biden win the 2020 election" — a key pillar of the "Big Lie" that the election was stolen from former President Donald Trump.

Fewer than half of Republicans say they are willing to accept the results of the 2020 election — a number that has remained virtually unchanged since we asked the same question last January.

Overall, 70% of poll respondents agree that the country is in crisis and at risk of failing.

One-third of Trump voters say the attack on the Capitol was actually carried out by "opponents of Donald Trump, including antifa and government agents"
What comes next seems clear, doesn't it? I am just trying to understand the counterargument.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:00 am
virtual9mm wrote:
What do you mean by a Great Moderation? This is what I was given when I looked it up: "The Great Moderation is the name given to the period of decreased macroeconomic volatility experienced in the United States starting in the 1980s. ... 1 The Great Moderation can be summed up as a multi-decade period of low inflation and positive economic growth."
I believe that what was mentioned was that Republicans are better at local governance (possibly true, look at the mess that is SF), that my friend was more worried about the Democrats than the Republicans, and that everyone will get tired of the extremes on either side and go back to supporting moderate candidates. I don't get the logic but my friend is very smart and I am trying to see if I am missing anything.