Suns (23-5) @ Lakers (16-15), Tues 21/12/21

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns (23-5) @ Lakers (16-15), Tues 21/12/21

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

pickle wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:23 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:22 pm
Two examples of Reggie Miller's bias that stood out to me were his over reaction to a couple of very pedestrian passes by Westbrook and the sequence that lead to Carmelo Anthony's second technical foul.

Neither Paul or Crowder really touched Carmelo at all, but Miller was supportive of the first foul called on Paul and then claimed Crowder hit Carmelo in the "mid-section", which we all know is a euphemism for the groin. In reality, there was no evidence of Paul making contact with Carmelo on the replay, and if Crowder touched Carmelo at all, it was somewhere around his ribs.
I remember the mid section reference. Maybe I just took that to mean undetermined middle part of the body because the camera angle showed nothing in particular to my eyes. I think Miller just tries to be nice. He’s quite complimentary to everyone throughout the game, and he wasn’t going to criticize the refs on that call. IIRC he did say something like “maybe Crowder got Melo in the mid section” rather than make a definitive comment like that “hip check” from JaVale on the offensive end, and that’s what stuck with me more than the term mid section. I could be wrong tho, a bit hazy on the details.
I think that's part of it. He's also from LA and went to UCLA, so of course he's going to verbally fellate Westbrook who's a fellow Bruin.

Maybe my own bias is showing a bit because I've disliked Reggie Miller as an analyst for as long as I can remember. I've always thought of him as a cornball.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:41 pm
pickle wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Two examples of Reggie Miller's bias that stood out to me were his over reaction to a couple of very pedestrian passes by Westbrook and the sequence that lead to Carmelo Anthony's second technical foul.

Neither Paul or Crowder really touched Carmelo at all, but Miller was supportive of the first foul called on Paul and then claimed Crowder hit Carmelo in the "mid-section", which we all know is a euphemism for the groin. In reality, there was no evidence of Paul making contact with Carmelo on the replay, and if Crowder touched Carmelo at all, it was somewhere around his ribs.
I remember the mid section reference. Maybe I just took that to mean undetermined middle part of the body because the camera angle showed nothing in particular to my eyes. I think Miller just tries to be nice. He’s quite complimentary to everyone throughout the game, and he wasn’t going to criticize the refs on that call. IIRC he did say something like “maybe Crowder got Melo in the mid section” rather than make a definitive comment like that “hip check” from JaVale on the offensive end, and that’s what stuck with me more than the term mid section. I could be wrong tho, a bit hazy on the details.
I think that's part of it. He's also from LA and went to UCLA, so of course he's going to verbally fellate Westbrook who's a fellow Bruin.

Maybe my own bias is showing a bit because I've disliked Reggie Miller as an analyst for as long as I can remember. I've always thought of him as a cornball.
Maybe because he isn't an analyst at all. He is just a color commentator. So part of his job is to be a corn ball and cater to the majority of the viewing audience. I think he is fine in that role, but I much prefer to hear actual basketball talk.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:49 pm
3rdside wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:34 pm
Is there a more overrated player than Westbrook ..
Carmelo?
Melo should have been born 10 yrs earlier.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:55 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:41 pm
pickle wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Maybe because he isn't an analyst at all. He is just a color commentator. So part of his job is to be a corn ball and cater to the majority of the viewing audience. I think he is fine in that role, but I much prefer to hear actual basketball talk.
Miller sucks at whatever you want to call him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He's better than Mark Jackson or Chris Weber or Dennis Scott or Jim Jackson. I think Grant Hill is better. Not sure if there are any other ex ball players TNT uses for in game "analysis."

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:10 pm
He's better than Mark Jackson or Chris Weber or Dennis Scott or Jim Jackson. I think Grant Hill is better. Not sure if there are any other ex ball players TNT uses for in game "analysis."
Even if your better crap, you’re still crap.

Indy

Post by Indy »

SunsRIt wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:44 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:10 pm
Even if your better crap, you’re still crap.
lol. fair.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:23 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:49 pm
3rdside wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:34 pm
Is there a more overrated player than Westbrook ..
Carmelo?
Melo should have been born 10 yrs earlier.
He is a more efficient scorer than Kobe.