Game Day: Suns (28-8) @ Pelicans (13-24), 1/4/2022

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
LazarusLong

Re: Game Day: Suns (28-8) @ Pelicans (13-24), 1/4/2022

Post by LazarusLong »

I know the NBA is a three-point league, but the Suns' coaches will need to create matchups where two of the big guys can play effectively at the same time. A tandem of Ayton and Biyombo could be scary on defense ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:26 pm
Johnson and Bridges 10-16 from deep. That helped ...
Mikal especially. A lot of people talk about Ayton being the offensive difference maker for the Suns, but I've always thought Mikal has to be the guy who takes (and makes) more shots for the Suns to win a title. He should be getting up 12+ shots every night, and it was great to see him look for his spots again in this game.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:31 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:26 pm
Johnson and Bridges 10-16 from deep. That helped ...
Mikal especially. A lot of people talk about Ayton being the offensive difference maker for the Suns, but I've always thought Mikal has to be the guy who takes (and makes) more shots for the Suns to win a title. He should be getting up 12+ shots every night, and it was great to see him look for his spots again in this game.
I've kvetched about Mikal sometimes gliding along on offense, but the Suns needed him tonight and he responded.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Booker, even saddled with foul problems, had 33 pts and 9 rebs.

Paul had 11 pts. and 15 dimes.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Have we had this much C depth before? Holy cow.
Last edited by AmareIsGod on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

My view tonight for $37/ea.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

carey wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:18 pm
Stuff like this is why I think Zion is at least partially biding his time with the foot injury to get out of New Orleans. Nothing against the city or the people who live there, we just have a fair bit of evidence of it not really being a basketball city and the ownership situation just compounds that disadvantage.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:24 pm
carey wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:18 pm
Stuff like this is why I think Zion is at least partially biding his time with the foot injury to get out of New Orleans. Nothing against the city or the people who live there, we just have a fair bit of evidence of it not really being a basketball city and the ownership situation just compounds that disadvantage.
A lot of fans masquerading as empty seats tonight in the Big Easy ...

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:13 pm
In the words of Billy Madison, “man I’m glad I called that guy” Bismack Biyombo.

Hopefully the waiving of Hutchinson earlier today was to create some sort of spot for Biyombo. I don’t know the knew Covid rules but back in the day you could sign a guy to 2 consecutive 10 days before having to make a decision on him
Unfortunately Hutchison was a 2-way guy and Biyombo is not eligible to sign a 2-way deal. He can sign 2 10 day contracts and then would have to be added to the main roster if we want to keep him. We do have an open roster spot.

The Hutchison thing was probably just us realizing he wasn’t going to be helpful for us. Perhaps we like what we’ve seen in someone like MJ Walker and plan to give him the 2-way slot. Or we just want to keep it open.

I also heard that it could have just been a favor to Hutchison. He wasn’t getting any playing time and with all these random g league guys getting 10 day contracts, surely someone would give one to Hutchison and perhaps give him a shot to play.

Split T

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:31 pm
I know the NBA is a three-point league, but the Suns' coaches will need to create matchups where two of the big guys can play effectively at the same time. A tandem of Ayton and Biyombo could be scary on defense ...
You’d have to change up the offensive sets. Right now our 4 man is always at the 3 point line. If Ayton or Biyombo is the 4, they’d have to move to the dunker spot…it’s feasible, but Ayton learning how to dribble would go a long ways towards making it helpful. It’s one thing to have 2 non shooters, but it’s another thing to have 2 non ball handlers too.

There are defensive problems too as one of those guys will end up chasing people around screens. I could see it working im certain situations, but I think it’s too far of a departure from our norm. We’re just a 1 big team.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Well the game ball definitely goes to Biyombo tonight.
Jalen started really well and was having a solid game but Biz size was needed tonight. Jalen foul trouble would have been inevitable and don't think we would have won with small ball

He made some impressive defensive rotations and obviously the scoring is icing on the cake.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:58 pm
This could be a rough watch for Suns fans. The Pels are at full strength minus Zion, and they gave the Suns a pretty tough game back in November. Ayton was out for the previous match up and Valenciunas had a strong game. Ingram was also out for the Pels and Herb Jones was defending Booker well before he left the game with an injury.
Yeah, it was pretty rough. For Pelicans fans, that is!
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Great game from just about everyone all around. Pels got close later in the game but it never really felt like they threatened to take over. Generally, it didn't seem like the Pels couldn't stop dribble penetration which led to all the open looks on the perimeter for the wings and in the lane for the bigs. We took full advantage.

Love the way Cam Johnson's been shooting it. He was a bit shaky to start the season but has really found his rhythm. 16 and 5 as a starter with 52% from the field and 48% from 3.

Good to see Mikal break out a bit offensively the last couple of games. He's still not a naturally instinctive scorer but when he's focused on it - creating off the dribble and getting in the lane - he's just a different player.

Justin Jackson saw a few minutes but didn't stand out too much. Looked like he was forcing things a bit. Not a great offensive game from Payne either and Payton is just useless on offense. Moving Cam into the lineup really take away scoring from the bench. We'll get Jae back but he may not do as well in a bench role if we were to make that move eventually.

Stix had a tough time with JV, who much like Adams, was just too big and physical. I thought JV got away with a lot tho on both ends against Stix and easily could've fouled out himself. But Stix had his moments and had a great pass to Book early in the game. Also his two 3s but only 16 minutes because of fouls.

Biyombo's size and strength helped a lot against JV. Another great game on both ends and he looks like a huge pickup for us in the frontcourt. We may have a logjam but it'll be a good problem for us to have at the 5spot.

Some were complaining earlier in the year about not using all of the MLE or leaving a roster spot open at the start of the season but Biyombo's signing is why you leave some flexibility. Just need to see how things shake out and if we add another wing scorer.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Biyombo looks like he could be Penny Hardaway’s younger brother.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:25 pm
Love that block on Hart at the buzzer! :D
that was fantastic. Book and CP3 appreciated it, too. He just thought they would let him go get a dunk at the buzzer when he already lost! No Bizzy said fuck that!

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

From the post game tweets
CP3 reaction to the Young ones looking up to Devin is too funny. He doesn't want to accept it because if Book is seen as a vet and someone young players look up to obviously that makes him a Grandpa :lol:

Then the twin are so giddy talking about No Bizzy. You would never believe he just been there a few days the way those two are beaming, look like they talking about Shaq or something lol
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My hot take is that this little COVID-stretch has been some of the most fun basketball of the season, maybe more fun to me than the winning streak. It's really neat to see other guys step up and see some depth on our roster. I love this run of double-figure scoring games for Stix. Really rooting for him. That play the other night where he dunked ferociously and the whole bench exploded in sheer joy was a great moment.

Similarly, Cam Johnson has done a really admirable job filling in for Jae Crowder. Most every night he's been a sharpshooter from 3 and has stepped up big time to fill the starting PF role. I still want our starters like Ayton and Crowder back, for sure, but Cam is showing us that he'll be ready for that role in a year or two when it's his to claim. Cam had 18 points on 5-7 3-point shooting (!) last night; wow.

What a joy Bismack Biyombo has been. Double-figure scoring in both of his games for us so far, and a thunderous dunk or two in each game. Amazing that you can just pull a guy like that off the scrap heap and throw him out there and he'll play like this. I hope we sign him for the rest of the season.

I even find myself cheering for guys like Wainwright, who doesn't have a ton of talent but is still a likable end-of-the-bench player.

Book was the hero last night with his big 33 points, but watching all these other guys get an opportunity and seeing them make the most of it has been really fun.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My Bally's app(btw the worst piece of tech as far as a development and quality assurance standpoint that I have had for something that is supposed to be widespread. Truly awful and those involved should be ashamed of themselves) has failed me, and I have missed these past few games. It's been an extreme bummer for me on my end, but I wish I was enjoying it as much as you, Mori.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thank god for Covid or we might not have seen Stix or Biyombo. :) I think Stix has earned some respect and gained confidence. I hope they keep Biyombo. We will never have to worry about fouls with all our big men and they can stay aggressive knowing foul trouble just means next up.