Around the League: Week 11 (12/27 - 1/2)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 11 (12/27 - 1/2)

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, it sucks but barring a miracle, they were going to lose anyway. At least change the rule for the next time when it might make a difference in the outcome.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:41 am
Yeah, it sucks but barring a miracle, they were going to lose anyway. At least change the rule for the next time when it might make a difference in the outcome.
Right; it was an unfortunate play, but the Kings were already down 5 with 25 seconds to go. They were unlikely to win. And what was their guy doing just standing there and not grabbing the ball? I think the whole thing is being overblown.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:27 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:41 am
Right; it was an unfortunate play, but the Kings were already down 5 with 25 seconds to go. They were unlikely to win. And what was their guy doing just standing there and not grabbing the ball? I think the whole thing is being overblown.
He was letting his team set up their play before picking up the ball, like CP3 does at the end of games. It is a common tactic, and the refs blew it.

I haven't been able to see a replay that shows the ref, so not sure if he signaled the clock operator, or they did it on their own. Usually they wait until the ref signals to start the clock. If the ref did it, they need to say 'my bad' and reset it and give them the ball out of bounds. If the clock operator started on their own, that should be a tech on the Lakers bench (but I doubt the rules allow for that).

Split T

Post by Split T »

They followed the rules like Gentry said, but this is one of those situations where you just give the ball to the kings, don’t think anyone is going to throw a fit if you do that.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The thing is - the Kings didn't have possession so you can't award them the ball. What would you change the rule to? "if a teams looks like they should have possession, the referee will...." because that is just causing more problems.

It's a timing error with no possession, so they made the right call.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:59 am
He was letting his team set up their play before picking up the ball, like CP3 does at the end of games. It is a common tactic, and the refs blew it.
The big difference being that this wasn't an inbounds pass and the Kings hadn't established possession of the ball.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:26 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:59 am
The big difference being that this wasn't an inbounds pass and the Kings hadn't established possession of the ball.
agreed, but you could see everyone else retreat while he waited with the ball. it was a good strategy, and the refs screwed it up. you know the right move was the just reset the clock and let them inbound it.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Sure, that would have been the sensible call, but that's not what's dictated by the rules. And I'm sure the league doesn't want officials deciding which rules the will and won't enforce.

Nobody could foresee this type of play actually occurring, so the only time possession of a missed free throw is address is when it's an airball.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:27 pm
Sure, that would have been the sensible call, but that's not what's dictated by the rules. And I'm sure the league doesn't want officials deciding which rules the will and won't enforce.

Nobody could foresee this type of play actually occurring, so the only time possession of a missed free throw is address is when it's an airball.
I get what you are saying, but they do this all the time. How many "let's see if he makes it before I decide to call a foul" calls are there each game? Or how many times does Booker enter the restricted area inside the 3 pt line during a ft attempt before the shot leaves the player's hand? Or guys not establishing themselves out of bounds before inbounding the ball?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don’t think anyone is arguing whether they followed the rules…it’s the spirit of the rule here that we’re talking about. It was the Lakers clock operator that made the mistake, just a terrible look for that to benefit LA.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:24 am
The thing is - the Kings didn't have possession so you can't award them the ball. What would you change the rule to? "if a teams looks like they should have possession, the referee will...." because that is just causing more problems.

It's a timing error with no possession, so they made the right call.
Come on. The Kings effectively had possession. There was nobody else around but the King's player who was a mere inches away from the ball but didn't touch it because the clock started prematurely. Sure, just grab it and then complain and get it fixed but again... Come on.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
It happens every single stinkin' game. Go read the referee reports.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

When he was pointing it out to the ref, the ref should have told him, "Grab the ball and then I'll blow my whistle and take care of it."
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:15 pm
Well when he played 30 minutes…Last actual time was 5 years ago

6 years. It's 2022 now. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

In soccer, when a player is injured (or something similar), you kick the ball out of the field. Then, by sportmanship, the other team give it back.
That's not in the rulebook, but most of the teams do it.
Would such a thing be possible in basketball?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:10 pm
The Bobster wrote:

I get what you are saying, but they do this all the time. How many "let's see if he makes it before I decide to call a foul" calls are there each game? Or how many times does Booker enter the restricted area inside the 3 pt line during a ft attempt before the shot leaves the player's hand? Or guys not establishing themselves out of bounds before inbounding the ball?
There's a difference between judgement calls and rule interpretation though.

This is a clear case of interpreting a rule after they see something occur.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Since when did you become a ref apologist! :P

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:40 pm
I just think that once they blew the whistle they only had one course of action that they could take. You blow the whistle (inadvertent or not) when neither team has possession, whether it's a block, rebound or loose ball that's what they do. This is technically no different than that.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:53 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:40 pm
I just think that once they blew the whistle they only had one course of action that they could take. You blow the whistle (inadvertent or not) when neither team has possession, whether it's a block, rebound or loose ball that's what they do. This is technically no different than that.
It wasn't inadvertent. The player complained the clock was moving before he touched the ball, the ref looked up and confirmed it, then blew the whistle. The only fair outcome is possession to the Kings with the clock where it was when the free throws were shot.

We are spending way too much time discussing a kings/lakers game. :lol: