Game Day: Clippers (19-19) @ Suns (29-8), Thurs 1/6/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: Game Day: Clippers (19-19) @ Suns (29-8), Thurs 1/6/21

Post by pickle »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:40 pm
Bledsoe 4-12 from field, 3 assists and 4 TOs.
And at least one air ball.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

pickle wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 pm
LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:40 pm
Bledsoe 4-12 from field, 3 assists and 4 TOs.
And at least one air ball.
You mean terri-ball. Awful shot on the worst moment.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:16 pm
Shaqtin a Fool has me crying laughing tonight. OMG. Did anyone else watch it?
Yeah was a good one ... I felt bad laughing at Oubre but was soo funny how they kept piling them on the next skit.
Disappointed they spent the suns segment talking about Zion ... oh well.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Cam Johnson is starting to make himself some money.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:14 pm
That’s the first I’ve heard Wainright played football…makes sense
Are you serious? That was at least the 10th time for me.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:32 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Yeah was a good one ... I felt bad laughing at Oubre but was soo funny how they kept piling them on the next skit.
I love the way Jokic cracked up the ref on the jump ball. Funny stuff.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Jalen had 19 n 14 with some good plays while CP3 was doing his thing in the clutch.
The fact that his stat line wasn't really discussed much in the thread just shows how much perception has changed. Is it almost No Surprise, No big deal type reaction to that kinda production ?

Crazy couple weeks for him and I see like 3 pages of Centers discussion in the other thread and I have no clue what we should do with him (them)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Obviously Book struggled but didn't realize it was 5/22
Yikes smh

As usual, I say that misses don't bother me that much cause everyone can have off games. Against BOS, he upset me because he let his misses affect the rest of the game with all his complaining and ensuing bad decisions.

Tonight the most he did was shook his head wondering y he missing. Maybe took a couple more contested shots than necessary as he was Off but more importantly he was more than happy to take a backseat in the 4th.
Couple of those plays work because of his cuts or screens creating space for a CP3 dime to someone else. So bad stat night but a "mature" game from Book and that's be my main thing from him

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

pickle

Post by pickle »

Shel where’s your take on the game? I’ve grown used to reading that right after the tweets.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
The Oubre and Jokic segments were hysterical.

Westbrook: more evidence that he's a purveyor of brainless activity in stretches ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

LazarusLong wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:36 am
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
The Oubre and Jokic segments were hysterical.

Westbrook: more evidence that he's a purveyor of brainless activity in stretches ...
There was some guy in booty shorts on the ground cleaning the floor with a towel on the bottom left during that little animation they brought together. I was in tears. Jokic and Oubre doing crazy dance moves and booty shakes.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

For those that missed it. Prepare to laugh.

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Once again the Suns turn it on in the final minutes and pull away. That is SO huge.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

pickle wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:19 am
Shel where’s your take on the game? I’ve grown used to reading that right after the tweets.
Ha I fell asleep thru most of the 2nd half so had to go back and re-watch. Crazy amount of shots last night for us. We were 44-107 while they were 31-86. Not a great shooting night for either team but on sheer volume they couldn't keep up. And we outrebounded them 63-49 with 21 ORs and Stix having 8 ORs himself. I hate the Clips and love when we beat them. They might be my least favorite team. But they're a tough, grit and grind team who are that much more dangerous with Kawhi and PG, so hopefully those guys just retire or something.

We're rolling right now even with guys missing. Book was off most of the night but looked fine physically and I don't think the defense was bothering him. Just one of those games where even his layups, floaters/runners were rimming out. Still had 10 boards and his defense has been extremely underrated going back to last season.

Cam Johnson is in full breakout mode. His whole game is smooth and he's showing more off the dribble in the extended minutes. Even defensively, he's not the biggest or strongest but just makes plays, is in the right spots and has rebounded pretty consistently. It's good that we get to see him play well as a starter now so the decision should be that much easier later.

Another double double from Stix. I think we're past the "sample size" argument - he's a double double big when he gets minutes on this team. Natural rebounder and a high motor, great hands catching the ball and finishing and knocked down another 3. He's probably a double double big on other teams with lesser talent, but maybe wouldn't be as efficient. Every minute he's on the floor he's getting more and more comfortable and looking better. I think unfortunately he'll have trouble getting minutes when we're at full strength. Noticed he was guarding on the perimeter while Mikal took on Ibaka. I wonder if Monty was trying to save him from fouling.

Payne started slow but got his offense going. He's gotta be the sparkplug scorer. Payton had one of his better games and was slashing to the basket, but still can't really finish in traffic. I want Wainright to succeed because he's so physically intriguing. I like the idea of a 6-6 250lb bull who can play some 3/4/5. A guy his size finishing that reverse and then the putback - fun to see a guy built like that do those things. Biyombo had a bit of a comedown game but had those 3 blocks.

There have been a few times early in games where CP has told either Mikal or Cam Johnson to bring the ball up and initiate offense while he runs down to the corner. He might be playing the long game trying to develop those guys for later on if/when teams are doubling him to keep him from getting the ball. The more they can handle the ball, the better we'll be in the long run.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yes Shel

I'm monitoring that also because currently when Book is resting in the 2nd quarter Monty always goes to the two guard lineup with both CP3 and Cam P. Cam was really good last year but like you pointed out, that was a counter to many teams picking up CP3 full court hence having another primary ball handler.

I will like to see the big lineup sometimes, well the three SFs together in these 2nd quarter stints. CP3, Mikal, Cam, Jae, McGee..... It's only like 3-4 mins or so that Monty does the two guard lineup to start the quarter but I always wonder if he could bring back one of the SF to play the 2.

Again, I'm sure ball handling against pressure is a key factor in that decision and Mikal doesn't seem that comfortable sometimes. Regular season is the time to work on these lineups tho....

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Big kids :)
Clutch by DA tho lol

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:29 pm
pickle wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:19 am
Ha I fell asleep thru most of the 2nd half so had to go back and re-watch. Crazy amount of shots last night for us. We were 44-107 while they were 31-86. Not a great shooting night for either team but on sheer volume they couldn't keep up. And we outrebounded them 63-49 with 21 ORs and Stix having 8 ORs himself. I hate the Clips and love when we beat them. They might be my least favorite team after the Lakers. But they're a tough, grit and grind team who are that much more dangerous with Kawhi and PG, so hopefully those guys just retire or something.
FIFY.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Was out on a trip with my family from Christmas to New Years, so I missed the Boston game (guess that wasn’t so bad) and watched the others. But not a fan of waxing philosophical on a phone keyboard so I haven’t posted much on these games. Gonna put several games’ worth of thoughts into this one thread.

I love what Stix has been doing, and this whole fiasco with how we’ve handled him makes me doubt my eyes. A lot of people have said that he wasn’t an NBA talent when he was given spotty minutes and knocked him for his summer league and pre season performance but honestly I saw during the summer what I see now, a guy who has a real nose for the ball who isn’t a creator on offense but can clean up and be a target for guards. His game fits much better with starters who can draw attention then with backups who need lifting up. If he tries to play the 4, I think his main issue will be defense on the perimeters, but I do think he plays with the energy to help on the boards which is still a primary concern for me, despite us just having dominated the Clips on that category. He has a confident stroke on offense. It might not go in as much as we’d like (am guessing his 3% isn’t so bad these few games he’s started) but he is at least a threat out there unlike our other three main rotation centers at the moment.

Love Biyombo, but when we don’t have injuries/sickness he’s more or less foul insurance for McGee, or a monkey wrench to throw into a low energy deficit situation. He definitely cannot coexist with our other bigs unless we are trying to secure a free throw rebound at end of quarter/game situations. Love his story tho.

The Pelicans game was the first one I can remember when all of our shooters hit shots at a high clip — Johnson has been shooting well for a while, Mikal finally had a good shooting game, and Booker was accurate. I feel like at this point Johnson is a better playmaker than Mikal, and given that touches are limited Mikal is taking a bit of a back seat to Cam. For that reason alone I would still like to bring Cam off the bench when Crowder returns because we need a little more playmaking in the second unit. Shamet also had a good shooting game just before covid knocked him out. I’m not as worried about him as some here. He’s a good shooter, I think he’s just pressing a bit. I remember a lot of us having the same doubts on Cam early season so I prefer the patience approach.

I am, however, worried about Payne. He had a solid first half but his second half was not pretty. Not a lot that hasn’t already been said. I wish he can work on that floater more, it goes long a lot of times, and I wish he could have a more complex layup package. He also doesn’t seem to have the handles to drive past bigs on mismatches — in those scenarios his main go to is speed, so end of shot clock he often kicks it to someone else after holding and probing for 2 seconds and makes things worse.

Several have commented that Payton had a good game but I actually disliked his performance this game more than the others. He missed two defensive assignments in the fourth that stood out. In terms of his demeanor I don’t think he’s the type to get excited. Even on that Stix dunk when Payne played dead and he played paramedic he had a completely stoic look. I don’t want to say he doesn’t care, but I feel like he lacks the athleticism and vertical explosion to be a non shooter in this modern game.

I have actually quite liked what I’ve seen out of Wainwright. He’s had a few solid defensive plays and makes good reads and passes. His shot is a bit jittery but if he’s knocking down 40% of his looks then he wouldn’t be on a 2 way. If he were a tiny bit more bat out of hell he’d be a linebacker version of Craig. As it is he is maybe the best Crowder insurance we have on this team.

Likes the little bit I’ve seen of Justin Jackson. Hope there’s some way we can keep him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:18 pm
Big kids :)
Clutch by DA tho lol

He needs to try it in a game when nobody's expecting it. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.