2020 Election Thread

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: 2020 Election Thread

Post by Nodack »

Tax breaks are always popular with “The People”. Everyone wants more money. Politicians from both sides like to score points lowering taxes. With our debt it just seems irresponsible to me. We maxed out our National credit card, only pay the bare minimum monthly payment and keep raising our credit limit.

Insane to me.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ex-Army Generals Fear Insurrection or 'Civil War' in 2024
https://www.newsweek.com/army-generals- ... -6-1660842
They warned of the potential for "total breakdown of the chain of command along partisan lines" and the risk of a "shadow government" led by a losing candidate who refuses to concede defeat, directly referencing former President Donald Trump.

"In short: We are chilled to our bones at the thought of a coup succeeding next time," they wrote.

A “disturbing number” of veterans and even active-duty military members took part in the attack on the Capitol. The “potential for a total breakdown of the chain of command along partisan lines ... is significant should another insurrection occur,” they added.

And they outlined four preventative steps they argue should be taken:

First, the leaders of the Capitol riot should be held accountable. They called on the Department of Justice, the House of Representatives' Select Committee investigating January 6 and Congress to "show more urgency."

Second, the Pentagon "should immediately order" a soldier review on the Constitution and electoral integrity, and on the laws of war and how to deal with an illegal order. "No service member should say they didn't understand whom to take orders from during a worst-case scenario," they wrote.
The Army's actions should also involve finding and removing "potential mutineers" and stopping efforts to subvert the chain of command through propaganda.

Finally, the generals advised the Department of Defense to war-game a potential insurrection or attempted coup following the 2024 presidential election "to identify weak spots" and deal with them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I do worry that there is a nontrivial pro-Trump contingent within our armed forces that would act in his favor if a violent conflict were to occur following the 2024 election.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The same ones refusing a vaccine even though they have already gotten a bunch of mandatory shots just to enter service.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Judge rules Cohen target of retaliation for Trump book, orders release from prison
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN24O1F9
New York (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen was ordered released from prison and will go into home confinement on Friday after a federal judge found he was subjected to retaliation for planning to publish a book about the president ahead of November’s election.

He said his second stint behind bars began with 16 harrowing days in solitary confinement.

Judge orders Michael Cohen's prison release after government 'retaliation'
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... book-trump
A judge ordered the release from prison of Donald Trump’s former personal lawyer on Thursday, saying he believed the government retaliated against him for writing a book about Trump.

Cohen, 53, sued federal prison officials and the attorney general, William Barr, on Monday, saying he was ordered back to prison because he was writing a book to be released before the November presidential election.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

They're just admitting it openly now.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The real question is whether anyone still cares. Which is pretty much like people not caring when burning demonic frogs are raining down from clouds of sulfur.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:06 pm
The real question is whether anyone still cares. Which is pretty much like people not caring when burning demonic frogs are raining down from clouds of sulfur.
I think a mistake a lot of folks make is to prejudge an issue by the assumed public reaction to it. "There's no point in going after Trump on issue X or wrongdoing Y, because his supporters still won't care!" He has hardcore supporters, but he also has softer supporters who vote R but are not married to Trump specifically. If you hold him accountable for his wrongdoing, it matters to some of that latter group. And to me, the truth matters and exposing it and trying to do what's right is still an important public service.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Cruz (R-Tex.) set off a bit of a MAGA backlash on Wednesday by calling the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol a “violent terrorist attack.” Among those criticizing Cruz was Carlson, who laid into the senator on Wednesday night.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AASw9sj
Carlson began the interview by positing that Cruz had “lied” about the events being a terrorist attack. And Cruz instantly signaled contrition.

“The way I phrased things yesterday — it was sloppy, and it was, frankly, dumb,” Cruz began.

Carlson cut him off, though. He said he didn’t believe Cruz and that Cruz — a highly trained lawyer — couldn’t possibly have been so sloppy with his choice of words.

“I don’t buy that,” Carlson said. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. I don’t buy that.”

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Ex-Trumpers set to plot how to try and take down Trump
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/0 ... ump-526623
A group of former Trump administration officials are banding together in an effort to block their former boss from entering office again.

The meeting of the group, announced by former White House press secretary and chief of staff to the first lady Stephanie Grisham, is scheduled for next week where they will discuss how to “try and stop” former President Donald Trump and the “kind of violence and rhetoric that has been talked about and continues to divide our country.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:13 pm
A group of former Trump administration officials are banding together in an effort to block their former boss from entering office again.
I'll take any ally I can get at this point. But probably this has little influence and they all just get death threats from angry Trump supporters until they back down.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:23 pm
Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:13 pm
I'll take any ally I can get at this point. But probably this has little influence and they all just get death threats from angry Trump supporters until they back down.
And all death threats should be investigated and prosecuted. No need for that crap.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

What a terrifying realisation that there’s not an insignificant number of in2’s running around the country.

Leo and Carl lol … just when i thought your citations couldn’t get any stupider.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:03 pm
I don’t need anyone to tell me what happened on Jan 6. I saw it unfold in real-time. Dems are lying about it? Trump called his cult to the capital to “fight like hell”. They planned it carefully. When they attacked the capital many Republicans tried to get Trump to call off his mob. Even FOX News hosts tried to get him to stop it. Then that night they went on air and blamed Antifa and BLM. Then they said they were invited to be there and welcomed. Then they blamed Pelosi. Then they blamed the capital police but, it’s the Dems who are lying….

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:43 am
In2ition wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:03 pm
I don’t need anyone to tell me what happened on Jan 6. I saw it unfold in real-time. Dems are lying about it? Trump called his cult to the capital to “fight like hell”. They planned it carefully. When they attacked the capital many Republicans tried to get Trump to call off his mob. Even FOX News hosts tried to get him to stop it. Then that night they went on air and blamed Antifa and BLM. Then they said they were invited to be there and welcomed. Then they blamed Pelosi. Then they blamed the capital police but, it’s the Dems who are lying….
There is a lot of lying going on. You may have seen things shown in real time, but you also weren't there, so you saw what was displayed to you. You understand that, right?

Using "fight like hell" as direct evidence is super weak. You know that they have compilations of Dems saying "fight like hell" in their speeches, right? He wasn't talking about storming the Capitol, he was talking about doing the work at every level to legally and democratically take back control of the direction of the country from the establishment.

The only known BLM activists that were there that we can see was Jake Sullivan and the people with him. He's not in prison for insurrection, so we can assume that he was an FBI asset. Just like Ray Epps(not BLM) from Queen Creek. Another person that hasn't been arrested is Scammy Davis Jr., aka Ali Alexander, who organized some of the color revolution guys, shown with the orange beanies and orange tape to identify each other.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You can believe what you want. I saw the attack from 100 different camera angles and they all showed the same thing. Most of the footage was from Magaterrorists themselves after they posted and bragged about it online. 600+ of them were arrested. None of them BLM or Antifa.

“Fight like hell” was just one of the things said. I can post the entire speech that day including Giuliani and there are dozens of juicy quotes. It doesn’t matter though. You are going to believe what you want.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Read Trump's Jan. 6 Speech, A Key Part Of Impeachment Trial
https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/96639684 ... ment-trial

Rudy Giuliani Speech Transcript at Trump’s Washington, D.C. Rally: Wants ‘Trial by Combat’
https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/ru ... -by-combat