The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
In2ition

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:27 pm
They have to do whatever Trumps wants them to do or face the Maga wrath.
Yes, take the vax, get the booster. Really pushing these Maga to do whatever he says, makes sense.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Here is part of it.

Are We Really Facing a Second Civil War?

In Toronto’s Globe and Mail, Thomas Homer-Dixon, a scholar who studies violent conflict, recently urged the Canadian government to prepare for an American implosion. “By 2025, American democracy could collapse, causing extreme domestic political instability, including widespread civil violence,” he wrote. “By 2030, if not sooner, the country could be governed by a right-wing dictatorship.” As John Harris writes in Politico, “Serious people now invoke ‘Civil War’ not as metaphor but as literal precedent.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

That's rich, coming from Canada, where they are arrest business owners and pastors for having their restaurant open or church services. Where their authoritarian rules are out of control and getting worse. Trudeau is running it like a dictatorship.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:45 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:18 pm
holy shit you actually believe that what they were doing is right and justified. I think that answered your question, v9.
Is it not their right to challenge electorates? Do you somehow think that was unprecedented? There has been ample annomolies of things that have looked like fraud had happened.
This was what I was looking for, thanks everyone especially in2 for being straightforward. I think I will stick around in Hong Kong, where I feel my personal safety is less at risk.

Regarding RINOs I was a registered Republican until I switched registration in 2020. Although in practice I probably have been voting Democrat since 2004. But that isn't quite true, either, since I voted McCain over Obama.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:34 pm
That's rich, coming from Canada, where they are arrest business owners and pastors for having their restaurant open or church services. Where their authoritarian rules are out of control and getting worse. Trudeau is running it like a dictatorship.
If HK gets too hot, my bolthole will be Vancouver.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I wouldn't make your decision based on one guy, virt.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
My understanding is that they have a law in place barring large in-person gatherings due to COVID. That includes large in-person church services. Some pastors knowingly broke that law, so they were arrested. What is the problem with that?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 28490.html

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:45 am
Naw, it is a decision I made a while back and review on a periodic basis. What scares me more than the all too common themes that In2 mentioned is the mindset among the educated and well-to-do that everything is just fine and that we should just move on from the Trump years. The art of wishful thinking is perhaps what will do the most to do us all in.

The Republican playbook seems straight out of the Maoist one, believe it or not. And we saw where that led China -- the horrors of the Cultural Revolution. I want no part of that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:45 am
Superbone wrote:
Naw, it is a decision I made a while back and review on a periodic basis. What scares me more than the all too common themes that In2 mentioned is the mindset among the educated and well-to-do that everything is just fine and that we should just move on from the Trump years. The art of wishful thinking is perhaps what will do the most to do us all in.

The Republican playbook seems straight out of the Maoist one, believe it or not. And we saw where that led China -- the horrors of the Cultural Revolution. I want no part of that.
I don't see much of that.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:46 am
In2ition wrote:
My understanding is that they have a law in place barring large in-person gatherings due to COVID. That includes large in-person church services. Some pastors knowingly broke that law, so they were arrested. What is the problem with that?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 28490.html
It's a mandate, not a law. I am for non-violent civil disobedience when the mandates are unconstitutional, which they are. It's just more gestopo tactics that are deployed. Are you for big businesses, while not caring about small businesses? How many small businesses were closed forever during the lockouts? Alot of them small family businesses. You think strip clubs and liquor stores are essential and should be open, but churches are too dangerous? That's f'd up Nazi thinking.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:03 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:45 am
Superbone wrote:

I don't see much of that.
Can you tell me more about what you see? Thanks!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I wouldn't say that everything is just fine and we should just move on from the Trump years. I just don't agree that Civil War is going to happen. I think things are going to get much worse before they get better.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:11 am
Yeah, I wouldn't say that everything is just fine and we should just move on from the Trump years. I just don't agree that Civil War is going to happen. I think things are going to get much worse before they get better.
I sure hope not! But yeah, I don't know how anybody could think that everything is fine and just move on. When nearly half the population believes THE BIG LIE, how could anybody think we're fine? Been seeing lots of specials and talks about this. We just passed the January 6th riot anniversary.

You could very well be right that things will get much worse before they get better.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

The GOP / RNC

Post by 3rdside »

It’s not Carl and Leo, but some guy called Ray Dalio puts the odds of civil war at 30%.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... years.html

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:18 pm
It’s not Carl and Leo, but some guy called Ray Dalio puts the odds of civil war at 30%.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... years.html
Ray Dalio is a famous American investor.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

The GOP / RNC

Post by 3rdside »

Thanks for the intel

3rdside

The GOP / RNC

Post by 3rdside »

Possibly some background required - I’m in finance, some of what I do is analytics related, and ray dalio is the godfather of predictive analytics in finance … if anyone has a decent shot at forecasting these things, it’s him.

Carl and Leo, and various other idiots on you tube and Twitter, are in2’s go to sources for insight and evidence … it was a play on that iow.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:28 pm
Possibly some background required - I’m in finance, some of what I do is analytics related, and ray dalio is the godfather of predictive analytics in finance … if anyone has a decent shot at forecasting these things, it’s him.

Carl and Leo, and various other idiots on you tube and Twitter, are in2’s go to sources for insight and evidence … it was a play on that iow.
OK, now I get “some guy”. Thanks.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Tbh, I had never listened to "Carl and Leo" before. I wasn't even aware what their names were until this was pointed out, haha. It seems that 3rd is aware of them much more than I am. More power to him. I thought it was more of a comedic point, but also a small sample of how some people outside of the US see the things that are happening in the US.

It was an interesting read on the Ray Dalio opinion. Do you agree with his assessment? I wasn't exactly sure by your own response.

Here is another take on the talk of Civil War. Whether you agree with all, some or none is up to each person.

Sorry, Democrats: Civil War isn’t likely — even if you’re trying to provoke one
By Steven F. Hayward
January 7, 2022

https://nypost.com/2022/01/07/sorry-dem ... ovoke-one/

Let’s set the scene: American democracy is said to be under threat from a political party that questions the legitimacy and outcome of a presidential election, that incites and justifies lawless “insurrectionist” actions and undermines American democratic institutions and processes, threatening the continued existence of the Constitution itself. If this state of affairs continues unabated, experts claim, the United States might well lapse into a second Civil War, as argued in Barbara F. Walter’s new book “How Civil Wars Start.”

Yes — that’s a pretty good description of the Democratic Party. You were expecting something else around the anniversary of Jan. 6?

Let’s do the checklist. A Washington Post/University of Maryland poll in 2017 found that 67% of Democrats and 69% of Hillary Clinton voters said Donald Trump was not a legitimately elected president, and Hillary herself told CBS News that Trump was not a “legitimate president” because he stole the 2016 election. Three years of contentious and debilitating investigations into what we now know was a phony Democrat-created story followed. But now that Republicans make similar claims about an anomalous election, liberals have caught a case of the vapors and say it is a “threat to democracy.”
Spoiler: show/hide
Steven F. Hayward is a resident scholar at the Institute of Governmental Studies at UC Berkeley.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Hillary conceded the day after the election. Trump still hasn’t.

Hillary was pissed the FBI released a statement 11 days before the election that they found more emails. They turned out to be nothing but, the damage had already been done. She was pissed that Russia was actively trying to help Trump win. That’s the extent of her election fraud complaints.

Trump claimed pretty much anyone that didn’t vote for him was in on the steal. The FBI, DOJ, US Courts, Venezuela, Italy, Postal Service, poll workers, Republican governors, Media, Pence. You name it, everyone was in on it. It was all a huge conspiracy by everyone to steal the election from him. He doesn’t have a shred of proof but, he says everyone knows it is true because he said it.

Dems trying to provoke a Civil War? That gets a huge LOL from me.