The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Split T

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Split T »

Didn’t a militia group attempt to kidnap the governor of Michigan?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:16 am
Well, it's starting to look like it was entirely planned and created by the FBI.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/ne ... ar-AASIbYW
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

These patriot groups aren’t that secret.

The American militia movement is a term used by law enforcement and security analysts to refer to a number of private organizations that include paramilitary or similar elements. These groups may refer to themselves as militia, unorganized militia,[1] and constitutional militia.[2] The term refers to groups which are of a right-wing political character, as any left-wing military organizations or movements in the US have not typically self-described as "militia".

While groups such as the Posse Comitatus existed as early as the 1980s,[3] the movement gained momentum after standoffs with government agents in the early 1990s. By the mid-1990s, such groups were active in all 50 US states, with membership estimated at between 20,000 and 60,000.[4][5]

The Southern Poverty Law Center identified 334 militia groups at a peak in 2011. It identified 276 in 2015, up from 202 in 2014 and in 2021 nearly 195 groups still exist down from 2015.[32]

United States militia groups[33]
Group name Area
3 Percenters Nationwide [34]
Not Fucking Around Coalition Southern United States [35]
Arizona Border Recon Arizona, Sasabe [36]
Hutaree Michigan, southern [37]
Idaho Light Foot Militia Idaho, statewide [38]
Michigan Militia Michigan, Redford [39]
Militia of Montana Montana, Noxon [40]
Missouri Citizens Militia Missouri, statewide [41]
Missouri Militia Missouri, Kansas City [42]
New York Light Foot Militia New York, statewide [43]
Oath Keepers Nationwide [44]
Ohio Defense Force Ohio, statewide [45]
Pennsylvania Light Foot Militia Pennsylvania [46]
Texas Light Foot Militia Texas, statewide

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

The ones that are known, you know that the FBI is closely monitoring them and most likely has them infiltrated by informants and/or agents. Wouldn't you think?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:22 am
Split T wrote:
Well, it's starting to look like it was entirely planned and created by the FBI.

I read the article. The FBI had an informant helping them. He isn’t an FBI agent. He was a convicted felon in the group providing information to the FBI on the group. The FBI didn’t create a plan to kidnap the Governor and hire this guy to make it happen like you are suggesting.

The defense is going for the entrapment angle and maybe they win.

The FBI says they have a strong case. “It has repeatedly scoffed at the entrapment allegations, arguing it has evidence showing that the defendants not only talked about kidnapping the governor, but took steps to make it happen, including casing Whitmer's vacation house twice, drawing up maps, buying night vision goggles and taking extra precautions to cover up their tracks, including texting on encrypted online chats.”

That’s why they have courts.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:49 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:22 am
Split T wrote:

I read the article. The FBI had an informant helping them. He isn’t an FBI agent. He was a convicted felon in the group providing information to the FBI on the group. The FBI didn’t create a plan to kidnap the Governor and hire this guy to make it happen like you are suggesting.

The defense is going for the entrapment angle and maybe they win.

The FBI says they have a strong case. “It has repeatedly scoffed at the entrapment allegations, arguing it has evidence showing that the defendants not only talked about kidnapping the governor, but took steps to make it happen, including casing Whitmer's vacation house twice, drawing up maps, buying night vision goggles and taking extra precautions to cover up their tracks, including texting on encrypted online chats.”

That’s why they have courts.
Yeah, you're right. We'll see what happens here. Hopefully, they broadcast the trial. Seems interesting.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

FBI arrests oath keepers leader on Jan. 6 charges
https://thehill.com/policy/national-sec ... -6-charges
Federal prosecutors have charged the founder of the Oathkeepers and 10 other members of the far-right groups with seditious conspiracy for their role in the Jan. 6 riot, the Justice Department announced Thursday.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

McCarthy dodges, deflects Jan. 6 questions
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5896 ... -questions
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Thursday dodged and deflected questions from reporters about why he is refusing to cooperate with the Jan. 6 committee about his conversations with former President Trump during and after the deadly attack on the Capitol.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

RNC moves to require presidential candidates to skip traditional commission debates
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... commission
The Republican National Committee (RNC) alerted the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) on Thursday that it plans to require GOP presidential nominees not to attend debates run by the commission going forward.

If the RNC moves to change its rules, the pullout would mark one of the greatest changes in the history of U.S. presidential debates.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:04 pm

That's true, but even General Lee was against slavery, but still felt the pull of loyalty to his state.
That is bullshit. He owned slaves and said although it was bad for white people, it was good for black people.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:13 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:04 pm

That's true, but even General Lee was against slavery, but still felt the pull of loyalty to his state.
That is bullshit. He owned slaves and said although it was bad for white people, it was good for black people.
So it wasn't complete bullshit. I looked it up in an article about him by the Smithsonian, after your angry retort, because I certainly could have been wrong. Although from my memory of history class, he was characterized as against slavery, these quotes by Lee in his letters to his wife, make Indy's passionate claim as MOSTLY TRUE. It seems he thought it was bad morally for white people to have slaves, but thought it wasn't as bad for the slaves themselves. So, if he turned this around, would it be less bad if the slaves were actually the slave owners, and the whites as the slaves? He should have just said that it's morally wrong to be a slave owner and left it at that. Of course you wouldn't put the moral issue on the one in slavery. That should be obvious.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... -85017563/
During the postbellum century, when Americans North and South decided to embrace R. E. Lee as a national as well as a Southern hero, he was generally described as antislavery. This assumption rests not on any public position he took but on a passage in an 1856 letter to his wife. The passage begins: “In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages.” But he goes on: “I think it however a greater evil to the white than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL. Now he's defending Robert E. Lee. I just can't with this stuff.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:49 pm
LOL. Now he's defending Robert E. Lee. I just can't with this stuff.
I'm not defending Lee. I admitted that Indy was right. This is silly.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I have Direct tv and AT&T. I had no idea I was helping to sponsor OAN and Trump.

DirecTV loss could cripple rightwing One America News
https://news.trust.org/item/20220115163735-pzh6l
WASHINGTON, Jan 15 (Reuters) - The largest satellite provider in the United States said late Friday it will drop One America News, a move that could financially cripple the rightwing TV network known for fueling conspiracy theories about the 2020 election.

The announcement by DirecTV, which is 70% owned by AT&T, comes three months after a Reuters investigation revealed that OAN's founder testified that AT&T inspired him to create the network. Court testimony also showed that OAN receives nearly all of its revenue from DirecTV.

The Reuters report drew calls from some liberal groups for AT&T and DirecTV to drop OAN, a favorite of former President Donald Trump, because the network has become a key source of false claims about the election and COVID vaccinations.

The Reuters investigative report in October cited sworn statements in which OAN's founder and his son testified that the inspiration for the conservative network came from AT&T executives.

"They told us they wanted a conservative network," the elder Herring said during a 2019 deposition. "They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built one."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Of course you have DirectTV, it's one of the only ways you can watch the Suns.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It kind of shocks me that most cable/satellite companies carry "news" channels like OAN and Newsmax. I mean, Fox is pretty horrendous too, but they at least have a history and were once a bit closer to being an actual news network. OAN and Newsmax have never been anything but Republican propaganda. I don't know why any cable company would carry them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I got Direct TV to make sure I got every Suns game on DVR. I didn’t know I was helping fund AON though.

They also carry RT (Russian TV). I am not sure how I feel about all these. On one hand I think they are all right wing and Russian propaganda that I hate. On the other hand Cons will argue CNN, MSNBC are left wing propaganda. CNN and MSNBC are definitely pro Dem anti Con so they aren’t that far off. From my tainted view I see CNN and MSNBC as Dem leaning sites but, I don’t see them intentionally misinforming the public like those right wing sites do. I am sure I will be told I am wrong by those on the right and that’s why we call it opinion.

I wish there were some journalistic standards that had to be met to be called “news” instead of propaganda. I guess that doesn’t sell.

One stat I just saw gives me a glimmer of hope. Dems and Cons are the dominant party’s and yet Independents are a larger party than either of the other two. There are very few Independent candidates that seem to get elected. Their numbers are going up, which tells me people are getting sick of the two party’s.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Think about it this way. The mainstream media will at least pay lip service to journalistic standards, the best being the likes of the NYT, BBC, and the Economist. Be careful with the likes of RT. They will throw in enough facts to get you to relax and then sneak in something to manipulate you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

GOP has decided that their candidates are no longer going to participate in the standard Presidential debates. That seems bad for the voters, to not be able to see these candidates go 1-on-1 to help them decide who they should vote for.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think the debates are helpful, at all. At least not when it is down to the final 2-3 candidates for president. The VP debates are completely useless, too.