2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Split T »

I’m not too worried about losing them. Feels like we’ve shown that finding backup centers isn’t that hard. The league kind of has an abundance of centers. What I’d rather have is a different look at the 5. Neither Javale or Biyombo provide anything that Ayton doesn’t already provide. Don’t get me wrong, Javale has been fantastic for us, but I do worry about him holding up in certain series in the playoffs. It would be nice to have a more versatile option. Maybe that’s Jalen, but we seem pretty set on playing him at the 4 with Javale or Biyombo. I’m not a fan of that.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 am
Article with 10 potential suns deals:

Sign me up for the EG trade. Hard pass on any of those trades including Cam Johnson. Also, Nic Batum may be my favorite Jalen Smith trade I’ve seen. I’ll take the Covington and Nance traded as well.
We need a EG or DS for a successful championship run. If we’re gonna get past GSW we need a helluva scoring punch off the bench. Payne, Shamet, Elfrid just won’t cut it. I imagine there’s a decent market for Payne.

Split T

Post by Split T »

My new wish list: Batum, EG, Covington or Nance,

Indy

Post by Indy »

love the new avatar, Split!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Haha thanks! Wanted to go with the other Cam as he’s been balling lately.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Eric Gordon would be a terrific addition. He could spell CP3 at point.
That would allow Payne to freelance a bit more.
I like Shamet, but he's not been dependable ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Not sure what it’d take, but I’ve liked PJ since the draft. He’s an interesting small ball 5 option that can play next to our 5’s because he can shoot.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

A lot of those trades are overvaluing players. Ibaka and Gordon are a couple of examples. Gordon would help, but I certainly wouldn't be including a first-round pick if I had to take on the remainder of his contract.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well you have to incentivize Houston somehow. We aren’t exactly sending out valuable players back to them. A late 1st seems fair. Now Sarver may think differently about the contract, but it wouldn’t actually hinder the suns at all. We don’t have cap space coming up in any seasons in the near future, so all it hurts is Sarver’s wallet at this point.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:34 pm

Not sure what it’d take, but I’ve liked PJ since the draft. He’s an interesting small ball 5 option that can play next to our 5’s because he can shoot.
Same. If we can steal him for Jalen and a some assets, that would be such a home run. He's extension eligible, but we don't need to sign him to one. We can have him for one more year and let him go to RFA.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yep, same draft as Cam, went directly after him I believe.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Split T wrote:

I think Jalen Smith is already a better player.

He can shoot, but he's not as good a defender or rebounder.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:37 pm
Split T wrote:

I think Jalen Smith is already a better player.

He can shoot, but he's not as good a defender or rebounder.
I disagree, kind of strongly, but either way PJ is a much better fit.

pickle

Post by pickle »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:09 am
pickle wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 am
I know he’s a hated name but if we are sending first rounders to the Clips shouldn’t we try to get Morris instead of Ibaka?
Hell no.
Don’t get me wrong, I hate him and the FOE shit and don’t want the distractions like that Twitter beef with the Jokic brothers. Speaking strictly from a basketball/business perspective tho he is a very good shooter from 3 and plays alongside traditional centers and can help a bit with the rebounding so he would seem to be a more natural target, especially if a first were on the table. I like Batum but like Bobster said a lot of these scenarios are not super realistic. I like Gordon but can’t really see anybody stepping up with a first to trade for that contract.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I don't suppose there's any way we could sniff Isaac... Orlando probably still considers him a foundational piece. OTOH they aren't giving any updates to his status whatsoever and this is as lost a season as there ever will be, and I am not sure they could become relevant before his extension is up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I loved Isaac and have remained a fan of his game, but I don’t trust he can sta healthy. I wouldn’t be willing to give up what it would take to get him.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:59 pm
I loved Isaac and have remained a fan of his game, but I don’t trust he can sta healthy. I wouldn’t be willing to give up what it would take to get him.
I’m pretty much on the same wavelength. He’s also got a little Kyrie in him from a personality standpoint.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah that anti-vax episode is a bit of a red flag. I don't know what it would take to get him though. If it's 2 low end firsts, one of which can be heavily protected to turn into 2 seconds, Stix, and some matching salary, then I'd probably do that, since he would be such a perfect fit for our style of play and our current core. I think he's on a somewhat reasonable contract, which might be bloated given his injury issues, but would otherwise be a bargain?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bridges-Isaac-Ayton would be an amazing defensive frontcourt.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

pickle wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 am
I know he’s a hated name but if we are sending first rounders to the Clips shouldn’t we try to get Morris instead of Ibaka?
Get out of here with that. You're better than that, pickle!
"Be Legendary."