Around the League: Week 12 (1/3 - 1/9)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Around the League: Week 12 (1/3 - 1/9)

Post by The Bobster »

There are very few players in the ballpark when it comes to matching up to Antetokounmpo physically - the Suns are lucky enough to have one in Ayton, but we saw how good Giannis was in the Finals. If you're a small team like the Warriors, he's going to eat you alive.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

pickle

Post by pickle »

The Bobster wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:48 pm
There are very few players in the ballpark when it comes to matching up to Antetokounmpo physically - the Suns are lucky enough to have one in Ayton, but we saw how good Giannis was in the Finals. If you're a small team like the Warriors, he's going to eat you alive.
You don’t need a player in the ballpark when you have the whistle on your side. Still can’t forgive the league for turning Blake into a Giannis stopper last year. I’m never gonna get off this dead horse. Sorry.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Not gonna lie
Can't remember who was the other Western team I saw Bucks kick their ass this season, maybe Lakers but I enjoy it and have a laugh.

All these online casuals had lots to say about us "letting Giannis dominate" :roll: as if it was an easy task. As others said when he's allowed to play bully ball and then is hitting jumpers too it's just ridiculous man. So again, when some of those who had all these theories about what we could have done I enjoy their teams getting steamrolled by that dude
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

With yesterday's Warriors loss, we are now 2 games ahead of them in the loss column. Our record is 31-9 and theirs is 30-11. Nice to have a bit of separation. GSW are on a 2-game losing streak; you'd imagine those would be rare this season.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They aren’t very good without Draymond. Jazz are on a 4 game losing streak as they are also not good without Rudy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

A cam Johnson appearance
8. Cam Johnson, stretching his game

Johnson has been the league's most accurate high-volume 3-point shooter over the last seven weeks, having drained almost half his triples in that stretch. He has hit multiple 3s in 22 straight games, and scored in double-figures every game since Nov. 27. Yowza.

Johnson can pump-and-go past defenders, and keep the Suns' efficiency machine moving.

Still, Johnson is mostly an off-ball sniper. But amid injuries and virus-related absences, the Suns have let Johnson stretch himself. He's trying a few more mid-rangers, including pull-up 2s:

The results have been uneven. Johnson is shooting poorly on midrangers, and doesn't probe for assists or free throws. But against postseason defenses, you need as many guys as possible who can create something from nothing late in the shot clock. With Phoenix a good bet to earn a top-two seed, there's little harm in giving Johnson leeway.

Johnson's rim attempts are up a tick. He's a cagey cutter, with a knack for bullying smaller defenders on those plays. Johnson catches the ball on the move, lowers his shoulder, and keeps plowing until he's at the basket. (Johnson is shooting a tidy 70% in the restricted area.) That bulldozing becomes important when defenses stick bigger wings on Chris Paul and Devin Booker -- and stash smaller guards on Johnson.

Johnson might have only one "A"-level strength -- lights-out shooting -- but he has very few (maybe zero) glaring weaknesses. Perhaps the best compliment coaches can give a role player is never worrying about him when he's on the floor. Monty Williams would probably say that about Johnson.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Klay and Steph are killing the Warriors with their horrendous shooting.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If I had one wish for the rest of the season and the playoffs that can be realistically granted, it would be for the refs to call every moving screen that the Warriors set called correctly. The whole team gets away with this. Every player that sets screens moves on them for an advantage. Maybe it doesn't happen every single time, but you see it multiple times each game with the Warriors that they get away with it. Some are worse than others, but they all do it and get away with it.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

The more screens you set, the more moving screens you get away with. This is doubly true when they are being set by someone 6-8 or smaller.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Just call it fairly. If Ayton or McGee even blink or move a pinky...it's a whistle. Even if the refs get an eyelash in their eye and just think their is movement, it's a whistle. It's annoying and the Suns nearly set just as many screens as the Warriors. It's an advantage that they shouldn't have, imo.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Moving screens are some of the worst officiated plays in the league. Nearly all screens are moving screens, but only a few are actually called. I think if you move in a way that can be seen as a roll to the rim or a pop out to the 3-point line, they let it go. If you’re standing mostly still and stick out your hip it’ll get called.

Indy

Post by Indy »

We don't get called for more than 1-2 moving screens each game. Maybe the Warriors get away with it more, but it isn't that far apart. Yeah, I wish they called it every time, but they have a reputation with DPOYs and MVPs and championships and we have none of it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If they don't get called for it, but do it twice as many times, and we get called for it 1-2 times per game, what is the difference in possessions between the teams and open shots it creates? It may mean the difference of 3-6 possession advantage for the Warriors. Anyone that gets a 5% advantage in elite sports becomes an amazing advantage that's nearly impossible to overcome consistently.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:52 am
I'd love to read the Zelda stuff if you don't mind.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here you go:
10. Jarrett Allen's Zelda love affair

The release of The Legend of Zelda, with its gold game cartridge, was a landmark event for any child of the 1980s and early 1990s. Allen was born in 1998, but grew up playing subsequent versions of the Zelda series. He collects Zelda-related memorabilia; his favorite such piece, he says, might be his 3D printout of one particular shield.

Every time Allen scores, the Cavaliers' game operations staff plays a specific Zelda sound effect -- the jingle that (in the original) played when the protagonist uncovered some secret item or entry point. (Apparently that same sound -- or something very close to it -- has carried over into more recent Zelda iterations.)

That sound triggers a little hit of dopamine in my brain. I smile every time. It brings back the excitement of having discovered something new in that game -- once you blew in the cartridge enough times for it to load.

Allen first requested the effect with the Nets, when staffers approached players for suggestions. "It took me about 10 seconds to come up with the perfect one," Allen says. "Short and sweet."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks, Split. The Zelda series is a favorite of mine as well.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Same. And I know the exact sound they are talking about.

On a kind of similar note, I absolutely HATE the sound the Suns play after made FTs. It is the Windows sound that plays when you plug something into your USB. But it is very similar to the sound that plays when you unplug something from your usb or windows (inevitably) loses connection with it. As a former IT guy, that sound sends an instant hit of cortisol every time I hear it.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:28 pm
Same. And I know the exact sound they are talking about.

On a kind of similar note, I absolutely HATE the sound the Suns play after made FTs. It is the Windows sound that plays when you plug something into your USB. But it is very similar to the sound that plays when you unplug something from your usb or windows (inevitably) loses connection with it. As a former IT guy, that sound sends an instant hit of cortisol every time I hear it.
I also find the three pointer sound super corny.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Warriors taking out recent frustrations on the Bulls ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?