School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

School / education stuff

Post by Mori Chu »

I had a link I wanted to paste about a university, and I didn't know what thread to put it in, so I'll just make a new one. There seem to be various school things in the news, such as trying to restrict/ban what certain K-12 schools teach or what books they can assign. Maybe we can discuss such things in this thread.

The thing I wanted to post about right now, though, is this pretty interesting story. UC Berkeley admitted a bunch of students, contingent on having enough on-campus housing for them. But the neighbors of where the housing was going to go didn't want the students nearby and sued. The neighbors have just won their case, so Berkeley has lost a decent chunk of its housing allotment, so they have to revoke admission to thousands of students for next year. Pretty amazing. Imagine getting a letter saying you got in to Berkeley (a great school!), and then having it yanked away from you later by NIMBYs.

In2ition

Re: School / education stuff

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, that would suck. Feel bad for those students.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

College students can be kind of out of control. They are away from home for the first time hanging with other young adults away from home for the first time. There is studying and then there is sex, drugs and alcohol. I’m sure the neighbors didn’t want Animal House next to them. Berkeley is a fine academic college and I’m sure none of that would happen there. Don’t they have dorms there? On-campus housing? Was it random school owned houses in the nearby housing areas or actually on campus?

Indy

Post by Indy »

It sounds like it sucks for the students, but Berkley didn't do their job in getting approval and space for the kids... probably just worried about increasing their enrollment and revenue stream.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:54 am
It sounds like it sucks for the students, but Berkley didn't do their job in getting approval and space for the kids... probably just worried about increasing their enrollment and revenue stream.
Yeah, I mean, I trust that the court made the legally correct decision. But it sucks for those kids who thought they were going to get to go to school there. They didn't do anything wrong, and they may have turned down other offers. I hope those kids will be okay and will figure something out.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am sure most kids that got into Berkley had other good offers they can fall back on.

I wonder how they are deciding which ones get kicked out? Did the article say (behind pay wall)? I am betting they would mostly reject in-state students since they pay so much less.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And some of those students could secure their own housing couldn’t they?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:12 am
And some of those students could secure their own housing couldn’t they?
Probably. But I am betting a good chunk of the money Berkley takes in comes from the housing.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:57 am
I am sure most kids that got into Berkley had other good offers they can fall back on.

I wonder how they are deciding which ones get kicked out? Did the article say (behind pay wall)? I am betting they would mostly reject in-state students since they pay so much less.
Not sure. Berkeley is kind of a unique beast and it's not clear that the same kids would get into UCLA.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Their music school is pretty famous for putting out good musicians.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Nodack wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:51 am
Different school, in Boston. My cousin went to Berklee.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Shows how much I know. I went to MIT and not the one in Boston either.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:27 am
Nodack wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:51 am
Different school, in Boston. My cousin went to Berklee.
Yep, named by President Berk after his son Lee Berk. Lee Berk was in the audience at the Blue Note in NYC last time I was there five years or so ago.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

You learn something every day.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Florida is about to pass a pretty broad, likely illegal restriction of speech on its campuses.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It’s right in the bill title!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Desantis is another pos. "we want our kids to be able to go to school without this stuff being injected into their school curriculum"?? Ugh.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:19 pm
It’s right in the bill title!
This is the bill title:
CS/CS/HB 1557: Parental Rights in Education

What did you think the title was?