School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: School / education stuff

Post by Mori Chu »

In2: Do you think it should be legal to discriminate against people for being LGBT? For example to deny them admission to a school, or a job, or refuse them service at a business, etc. simply on the basis of learning that they are LGBT and not wanting them there?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:45 am
that is the opposite of what I said.
Alright, clarify.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:06 am
In2: Do you think it should be legal to discriminate against people for being LGBT? For example to deny them admission to a school, or a job, or refuse them service at a business, etc. simply on the basis of learning that they are LGBT and not wanting them there?
No.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

But we all know it happens. They just won’t say it. I remember working at Burger King in HS and some girl handed me an application over the counter. I went and handed it to the manager. He asked, “Is she cute?” I said not really. He threw her application in the trash. He was a fat slob himself and I just shook my head.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:08 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:06 am
No.
One thing I'll mention is that currently it -IS- legal to discriminate against LGBT people in these ways, because they are not designated as a "protected class" in US anti-discrimination law. At least that is my understanding. I personally think that the set of protected classes should be updated to include sexual orientation and gender identity.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think that is true federally, but some states have enacted laws intended to prevent that type of discrimination.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:54 pm
I think that is true federally, but some states have enacted laws intended to prevent that type of discrimination.
Don't quote me on this, but I do believe you are correct, Indy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I found this interesting. The GOP in some states is trying to get rid of professors' tenure so they would have less protection if they tried to do something the state doesn't like, such as talk about CRT in class.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Controlling what is talked about between adults on college campuses has been in the fascist playbook forever.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Straight out of 1984.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Republicans have convinced themselves that education institutions brainwash kids to become liberals. So their solution is to try to attack education and institutions of education. What they may be missing is that maybe it isn't brainwashing. Maybe the more educated you get, the more their party and its policies seem stupid and wrong.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:22 am
Republicans have convinced themselves that education institutions brainwash kids to become liberals. So their solution is to try to attack education and institutions of education. What they may be missing is that maybe it isn't brainwashing. Maybe the more educated you get, the more their party and its policies seem stupid and wrong.
One of the key things for powerful people to stay in power--and keep the masses at bay--is to limit the knowledge and perspectives from the population. That goes for both sides of the aisle in this country, too.

So in one way I disagree with you--I know some very educated people that support stacking the courts with conservative justices, and letting corporations avoid taxes, and keeping brown people out of this country.

But I agree with you in another way--I don't think it is *education* per se, but a variety of perspectives. That usually comes along with higher education, but not always. The more perspectives you hear and experience and discuss, the more you realize we could fix all of the problems in the world if we work together to do it. But that would mean having different people in places of power that want to do that, and it would involve limiting billionaires from exploiting their workers and the earth. And if there is one thing billionaires don't want to lose, it is their ability to exploit.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

People like people that think like them. People with a different perspective scare them and that leads to them apposing and demonizing them. What we are taught in school can shape our perspectives for the rest of our lives and that I believe is the reason what we teach in school becomes such a battleground.

I don’t want my kids taught that we should hate minorities, slavery and the holocaust never happened and Stalin was a great leader. I wouldn’t want my kindergarten child taught anything about sex, gay, straight or bi. At some point they are going to learn about sex and the different ways and I would prefer they be taught about it at some point before they are old enough to get into trouble like maybe a freshman in HS.

Someone has to decide and I would imagine each school district makes a lot of those decisions. I don’t know how much the Federal government gets involved. I would imagine colleges have to meet certain academic standards before they can give degrees and I don’t know how standardized that is.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

The tenure system is terrible. It was originally invoked after Jane Stanford fired a racist sociologist who had been behind the yellow scare of the 1890s. There was an outcry about academic integrity and thus, the tenure system was forced upon Jane.

That being said...I don't like how the end of tenure will ge used in this case.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:51 pm
People like people that think like them. People with a different perspective scare them and that leads to them apposing and demonizing them. What we are taught in school can shape our perspectives for the rest of our lives and that I believe is the reason what we teach in school becomes such a battleground.

I don’t want my kids taught that we should hate minorities, slavery and the holocaust never happened and Stalin was a great leader. I wouldn’t want my kindergarten child taught anything about sex, gay, straight or bi. At some point they are going to learn about sex and the different ways and I would prefer they be taught about it at some point before they are old enough to get into trouble like maybe a freshman in HS.

Someone has to decide and I would imagine each school district makes a lot of those decisions. I don’t know how much the Federal government gets involved. I would imagine colleges have to meet certain academic standards before they can give degrees and I don’t know how standardized that is.
Nobody is disputing that. The issue with things like this stupid Florida law is that when the kindergarten teacher ask the kids what they did that weekend, if one kid says my moms took me to the zoo, the teacher is now culpable in breaking the law (or at least very close to the line). It is insanely stupid.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The law also blocks teachers from assigning any readings or books that happen to have LGBT characters in them, even if the book isn't "about" being gay or whatever. The language of it is fuzzy enough that you could punish or fire somebody for all kinds of activities that are not harmful.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kind of random, but lol check this out:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

More about the Don't Say Gay bill.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Swimmer Lia Thomas becomes first transgender athlete to win an NCAA D-I title
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/17/sport/li ... index.html
University of Pennsylvania swimmer Lia Thomas became the first transgender athlete to win an NCAA Division I title after finishing first in the women's 500-yard freestyle event Thursday evening.

Thomas pulled away in the final 150 yards to win in 4:33.24.
Thomas, who previously swam for the men's team at Penn, has come to personify the ongoing debate on trans women's participation in sports and the balance between inclusion and fair play.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Isn't the endgame for the transgender athletic stuff just divisions based on hormone levels?

Like boxing and MMA have weight classes, why not take blood samples and designate each persons competitive class?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.