School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Superbone

Re: School / education stuff

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:02 pm
Isn't the endgame for the transgender athletic stuff just divisions based on hormone levels?

Like boxing and MMA have weight classes, why not take blood samples and designate each persons competitive class?
It's going to have to be something like that. You can't have unfair advantages with men competing as women. Let's use some common sense.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:11 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Isn't the endgame for the transgender athletic stuff just divisions based on hormone levels?

Like boxing and MMA have weight classes, why not take blood samples and designate each persons competitive class?
It's going to have to be something like that. You can't have unfair advantages with men competing as women. Let's use some common sense.
Would there really be enough transgender athletes competing to make a real competition of just themselves?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Is the unfair advantage because she is bigger and stronger than all of the other competitors?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:02 pm
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Is the unfair advantage because she is bigger and stronger than all of the other competitors?
Is this a serious question?
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I've seen people sharing this photo on social media:

I do know that the women who lost to Lia Thomas were upset about it. I haven't read about Thomas's gender situation in detail. How recently did she transition to become female? She does seem to have a large and strong frame, so I wonder whether she had the benefit of a male level of various growth hormones during formative years.

I don't know what the fair solution is, but probably switching to something based around weight and/or hormone levels would be a good idea. Only problem is that I don't know that lower level sports really have the means to test people's hormones easily, do they? How do they administer something like that in high school sports?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:21 am
I've seen people sharing this photo on social media:

I do know that the women who lost to Lia Thomas were upset about it. I haven't read about Thomas's gender situation in detail. How recently did she transition to become female? She does seem to have a large and strong frame, so I wonder whether she had the benefit of a male level of various growth hormones during formative years.

I don't know what the fair solution is, but probably switching to something based around weight and/or hormone levels would be a good idea. Only problem is that I don't know that lower level sports really have the means to test people's hormones easily, do they? How do they administer something like that in high school sports?
I read that she was originally on the men's swim team at Penn State, so I would say she was in her formative yrs.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:33 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

It is.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:42 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:33 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

It is.
Then yes. It’s the same reason men don’t compete against women for centuries. How many woman have made it to the NBA or NFL? Do you have a point in asking the question that has an obvious answer? Am I missing something?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

People are picking this one extreme example and saying "this is unfair because she is so much bigger and stronger than other girls." I don't get the outrage.

Did Wilt have an unfair advantage? Maybe he shouldn't have been allowed to play.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

If Swing were still with us, he’d be telling you you’re being obtuse.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Probably. But I really don't get why people are bothered by this. There are extreme differences in body size and ability across any gender. Like FF said, we probably need classes to compete in based on size/weight/length if the ultimate goal is to try and make each group as competitive as possible, as opposed to letting everyone of any size fight it out.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... t-by-state
The average height in the United States is 5 feet 4 inches (162.56 centimeters) for women and 5 feet 9 inches (175.26 centimeters) for men.

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/def ... 002-01.pdf
In terms of absolute strength – that is, without regard for body size, weight or composition – the average man tends to be considerably stronger than the average woman. Specifically, the absolute total- body strength of women has been reported as being roughly 67% that of men.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If you go back 60 years, you will find people arguing black men shouldn't be competing with white men and citing similar papers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Is anyone denying women from competing in professional sports or even Men's college teams? I just don't believe that there is any supporting evidence of this. If a woman wants to compete with men in the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, pro Futbol or any lower leagues like AFL or such are welcomed. Teams are in it to win it and/or make money. If you have some evidence that they are not allowed to play, I would love to see it.

Are you comparing racist views of 60 yrs ago with those of people in this argument?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Teachers In America Were Already Facing Collapse. COVID Only Made It Worse.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ro ... -education

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:09 pm
Teachers In America Were Already Facing Collapse. COVID Only Made It Worse.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ro ... -education
By the way, I don't know whether I've said so here on this site, but I no longer work as a teacher. I used to teach college-level computer science, but I now work in the software industry as a developer and engineering manager. But all of my old teacher buddies have told me they've been miserable the past few years. The masks, the vax drama, the school closures, doing school remotely, all day on Zoom, etc., it has really hurt the experience for students and teachers alike. What was already a tough job is much tougher in that setting. I don't envy them.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

With any luck Covid is mostly behind us now. Our education system is a mess right now. Nobody in their right mind would want to be a teacher in America right now. They are under attack, overworked, underpaid working under horrible conditions. Even without Covid it was a mess. Some don’t like public schools and prefer private schools. To win that war they have slashed public schooling funds to prove how bad public schools are. We are fighting over what gets taught and the teachers are stuck in the middle.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No, you never told us as far as I know. I'm sure you're also making much more money than you did when you were in education. What's the old phrase? "Those who can't do, teach."

BTW, I don't necessarily believe that. There are all levels of teachers, some great. I like this quote better:

“Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach.”
— Aristotle
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:51 pm
No, you never told us as far as I know. I'm sure you're also making much more money than you did when you were in education. What's the old phrase? "Those who can't do, teach."

BTW, I don't necessarily believe that. There are all levels of teachers, some great. I like this quote better:

“Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach.”
— Aristotle
I am definitely earning more. But the real kicker is the hours. To be a teacher and do a good job is way more than 40 hours per week. With 3 kids, it's really hard to maintain that. Working as a developer in the industry, you can mostly clock out at 5pm if you worked on-task during the day. I can pick my kids up and read to them and help make dinner. It's hard to put a price on that.

It's silly that a random worker bee at a random tech company makes more and works less than a teacher who may influence thousands of people every year. But that's the value our society puts on these jobs.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

DeSantis signs bill mandating communism lessons in class, as GOP leans on education
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/de ... uxbndlbing