Environment and climate change

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Environment

Post by Nodack »

That sounds exciting. I got real excited about Graphene too several years ago. They still talk about it. I still see no fat lady.

Graphene power: Physicists build circuit harvesting limitless, clean energy
https://www.studyfinds.org/graphene-pow ... an-energy/
“An energy-harvesting circuit based on graphene could be incorporated into a chip to provide clean, limitless, low-voltage power for small devices or sensors,” says lead researcher Paul Thibado in a university release.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Graphene, that was supposed to be the next big thing, yeah ..

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:12 pm
Graphene, that was supposed to be the next big thing, yeah ..
I like the Dolly Parton song. Actually, that'd be a great parody for Weird Al.
"Be Legendary."

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Haha ..

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This hurricane Ida coming toward New Orleans looks really scary. I hope all of you who live in the area are keeping safe.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Carey, stay safe.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Carey - hope you and yours are all right.

Graphene and tektites made my morning, thanks!

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Phoenix shatters November temperature record that stood since 1949

And it wasn't just Phoenix that experienced record weather. Every corner of the region rewrote its record books in November, including some century-old records that fell during the month's final days.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... 49/1055221
While Phoenix couldn't get its thermometers below 80 degrees, residents in Denver failed to see theirs drop below 32 F to contribute any snowfall, producing the first snowless November the city had ever recorded. The previous record for the latest snowfall was Nov. 21, set in 1934.

With no measurable snow since April 22, the city has now gone 223 consecutive days, as of Dec. 1, without the wintry precipitation its nearby mountains are famous for. The all-time record of 235 days, set in 1887, sits within reach.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

How Manchin used politics to protect his family coal company
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/0 ... y-00003218
Manchin’s political power over the clean energy sector has national implications today. But he has wielded his influence for years. And one of his main goals has always been to protect coal.

In 2009 he used one of his last actions as governor to sign a renewable energy law. The measure was described as a way to increase the state’s amount of clean power to 25 percent by 2025.

But it also shielded the waste coal that helped build Manchin’s fortune. Classifying it as an alternative energy source allowed utilities to count it toward their renewable electricity goals.

That infuriated some members of his own party, who saw the law as a way to jump-start the state’s transition to a cleaner future. It hasn’t worked. More than a decade after the law was enacted, just 6 percent of the state’s power is derived from renewable sources.

Eighty-eight percent comes from coal.

“Everything that he does, everything that he did when he was governor, everything that he has done while he is a senator, is going to advance his best interest and the interest of the people who put money in his pocket, period,” said Nancy Peoples Guthrie, who was a Democratic state lawmaker at the time. “That’s all you need to know about Joe Manchin.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

What a shock that the Dems can't pass any environmental legislation when the swing vote is a guy from a rich oil family. It isn't rocket science.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Rich coal family.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Both of the planet's poles experience extreme heat, and Antarctica breaks records
https://www.npr.org/2022/03/19/10877524 ... eat-arctic
Earth's poles are undergoing simultaneous freakish extreme heat with parts of Antarctica more than 70 degrees (40 degrees Celsius) warmer than average and areas of the Arctic more than 50 degrees (30 degrees Celsius) warmer than average.

"They are opposite seasons. You don't see the north and the south (poles) both melting at the same time," Meier told The Associated Press Friday evening. "It's definitely an unusual occurrence."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:26 am
Both of the planet's poles experience extreme heat, and Antarctica breaks records
https://www.npr.org/2022/03/19/10877524 ... eat-arctic
Earth's poles are undergoing simultaneous freakish extreme heat with parts of Antarctica more than 70 degrees (40 degrees Celsius) warmer than average and areas of the Arctic more than 50 degrees (30 degrees Celsius) warmer than average.

"They are opposite seasons. You don't see the north and the south (poles) both melting at the same time," Meier told The Associated Press Friday evening. "It's definitely an unusual occurrence."
😒 WTF!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

How is this weather event not getting more attention here and around the world? This is catastrophic. This isn't a 6 or 7 degree increase, which would alarm me. This is up to 90 degrees warmer for 4 days now in Antarctica!?
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:35 am
How is this weather event not getting more attention here and around the world? This is catastrophic. This isn't a 6 or 7 degree increase, which would alarm me. This is up to 90 degrees warmer for 4 days now in Antarctica!?
This is a good question overall. Even though it's 90 degrees warmer, it's still well below freezing, so the giant 2 mile deep ice sheets are still not melting, as it's still the coldest place on earth.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:38 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
This is a good question overall. Even though it's 90 degrees warmer, it's still well below freezing, so the giant 2 mile deep ice sheets are still not melting, as it's still the coldest place on earth.
It is far warmer than it has ever been this time of year in that part of the world by an astronomical landslide though. This is like not worrying about your house burning down because the fire is only in the kitchen.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We're basically completely fucked as a species / planet, sooner than most people think. I'm 42 and I think the planet will be very different by the time I'm retirement age. The world we're leaving to people my children's age may not resemble the current one much at all. I think their generation is going to be really, really pissed at all us oldies who fucked this up.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:46 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:38 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
It is far warmer than it has ever been this time of year in that part of the world by an astronomical landslide though. This is like not worrying about your house burning down because the fire is only in the kitchen.
I'm not saying it's not concerning. It is bizarre and doesn't make sense that both poles would be warming like this at the same time, since they are both in different seasons. I've never heard of the Antarctic being 90 degrees above normal before, and it sounds like this is beyond expected. It would be nice to get an actual logical reason for this.