Game Day: Suns (1-0) vs Mavs, WCSF Game 2, Wed 05/04/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Game Day: Suns (1-0) vs Mavs, WCSF Game 2, Wed 05/04/22

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:31 am
I don't think I buy this "Luka is the best player in the series" talk. Defense matters. Devin Booker is the best player in the series.
Okay okay now say that but with Jokic aka “Big Luka” instead of Luka

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I enjoyed that game. There was so much talk about the Mavs working their way back into the first game late as if they figured something out about the Suns they could exploit next game. Then the Suns went ip big again this game and kept their foot on the gas destroying any hopes by the Mavs of making a comeback.

My hat goes off to Crowder. The Mavs started going into flop mode and Crowder countered with his own take on the Academy awards and drew some timely fouls.

Really surprised Brunson has been pretty much tamed. He has been in foul trouble both games. I have a feeling he will try to go off in Dallas and not be in any foul trouble. They managed to get our bigs in foul trouble. Unfortunately for Dallas we have three good centers this year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:03 am
Really surprised Brunson has been pretty much tamed. He has been in foul trouble both games. I have a feeling he will try to go off in Dallas and not be in any foul trouble. They managed to get our bigs in foul trouble. Unfortunately for Dallas we have three good centers this year.
Scott Foster will make sure of it.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Maybe he will accidentally get food poisoning….

Jk

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:49 am
Mori Chu wrote:
I don't think I buy this "Luka is the best player in the series" talk. Defense matters. Devin Booker is the best player in the series.
I'd put BOTH Paul and Book ahead of him. Basketball isn't all about scoring buckets. This is a team game. It's about doing what it takes to win. Not just getting yours.
I get the sentiment, but just because our team is much better constructed and coached, doesn't make the individuals better. If you were doing a complete redraft of the entire league and had to pick one of these 3 as your first pick, no way more than 2-3 GMs pick Book or CP3 ahead of Luka.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This series is giving me major Suns-Nuggets from last playoffs vibes.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
I'd put BOTH Paul and Book ahead of him. Basketball isn't all about scoring buckets. This is a team game. It's about doing what it takes to win. Not just getting yours.
Mori, Saucy hacked Supe's account.

Guys, Doncic is a freaking stud. Like with Jokic and Denver, the Mavs did a really poor job surrounding him with talent. Their big offseason move was adding Sterling Brown.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I really like Luka as a player but don’t like how they run their offense around him. It’s basically a version of the Harden’s Rockets —which they’re never gonna win in the West. I’m fine if he is the best offensive player in this series. Book was my favorite player in his draft class and I felt grateful that we were in the range where he was gonna be drafted by us.
Mavs deserve to lose based on their boring offense which has been over done.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’m not about to say anything against Luka…our guys are in a much better situation. He’s asked to do way more than either Booker or Paul is. We’re making Dallas pay for poor roster construction and scheme by putting everything on Luka. I don’t think our plan would work if Luka had a teammate that could shoulder the load.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I should say I don’t think it would work as well, it could still work.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:47 am
I really like Luka as a player but don’t like how they run their offense around him. It’s basically a version of the Harden’s Rockets —which they’re never gonna win in the West. I’m fine if he is the best offensive player in this series. Book was my favorite player in his draft class and I felt grateful that we were in the range where he was gonna be drafted by us.
Exactly, and there's no reason for it when Brunson's proven he can carry some of the load and Dinwiddie's a proven guard. They've hardly run any offense so far since it's been the Luka show.

I do think it's hard building around a talent like Luka since you want to take advantage of everything he can do while finding that balance with the rest of the lineup/roster. You need buy-in from everyone, especially Luka who needs to trust his teammates. Harden had CP in Houston and couldn't be bothered with him. Book could've done the same thing as Harden, but bought in and they've elevated each other.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:49 am
Ya I’m not about to say anything against Luka…our guys are in a much better situation. He’s asked to do way more than either Booker or Paul is. We’re making Dallas pay for poor roster construction and scheme by putting everything on Luka. I don’t think our plan would work if Luka had a teammate that could shoulder the load.
For real. There’s very little playmaking or actions to get other guys off with Mavs. You’d think they’d run more through Brunson and Dinwiddie to get them going downhill and in the paint more. Luka is great but he’s no Steve Nash that can get his guys involved. They should be keeping the score close and let him close at the end of the 4th instead of burning him out. They’re just not built for playoffs. To keep this style of play, they’ll need to upgrade they’re starters ability to defend more than just one guy.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:43 am
Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Guys, Doncic is a freaking stud. Like with Jokic and Denver, the Mavs did a really poor job surrounding him with talent. Their big offseason move was adding Sterling Brown.
Lol.

There’s no such thing as a championship cast around Jokic getting a super max. By definition, you’re super c(r)apped out because you wasted your money.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Yes, that I'll give him. Key word: offensive.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Like somebody else said, I'm at peace with taking Ayton over Doncic now. If we could go back in time and redo it, right now most likely our team roles would be reversed and we would never have been in the Finals.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

:oops:
ShelC wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:02 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Exactly, and there's no reason for it when Brunson's proven he can carry some of the load and Dinwiddie's a proven guard. They've hardly run any offense so far since it's been the Luka show.

I do think it's hard building around a talent like Luka since you want to take advantage of everything he can do while finding that balance with the rest of the lineup/roster. You need buy-in from everyone, especially Luka who needs to trust his teammates. Harden had CP in Houston and couldn't be bothered with him. Book could've done the same thing as Harden, but bought in and they've elevated each other.
Makes me mad about even Harden for the game of basketball. I really loved his game out of OKC. Then it was just beyond parody to see his over dribbling and draw a foul for 35+ mpg.
My biggest fear for the Suns a few years back was Point Book. I think the Suns could have stayed on that track and eventually he would have made us an 7-8 seed. Best thing happened (besides point god) was that he developed a game of getting easy buckets for himself in the offense without having to ball hog. I think eventually we will see him more in the high post as he ages and loses some of athleticism and get to the line, create for his players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:34 pm
Like somebody else said, I'm at peace with taking Ayton over Doncic now. If we could go back in time and redo it, right now most likely our team roles would be reversed and we would never have been in the Finals.
I think Booker/Doncic would’ve been a fantastic duo…still not sure what the team as a whole would look like. We certainly wouldn’t have CP3 or Ayton. Probably not Bridges and also probably not Monty. McD might’ve stayed at GM and Igor as coach. So no chance I’d trade what we have now for that

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:28 am
Shabazz wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:51 am
Haralabob shitting on Gambo on Twitter.. almost as fun as the game.

Somebody is a little sensitive that they're not being followed.
In the deleted tweet, he ripped Gambo for not understanding basic analytical concepts and for his “disingenuous and disgusting” (paraphrasing) pre-draft report on Luka (justified, IMO).

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:43 am
Superbone wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Yes, Luka is God's gift to basketball, and probably humanity ❤️

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wanted the Suns to draft Luka because we were going on year 4 of the point guard pu pu platter at that time. No one could've ever guessed Chris Paul would choose to join this dumpster fire of a franchise.

I think the 'heliocentric', iso-ball approach is done in the NBA as an elite offensive scheme. It'll pile up some regular season wins, but that style has never won an NBA title, so that's where they need to start.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.