Game Day: Suns (2-1) vs Mavs, WCSF Game 4, Sun 06/08/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day: Suns (2-1) vs Mavs, WCSF Game 4, Sun 06/08/22

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:38 pm
I don't understand how Luka can get a foul called every time he falls to the ground. Except for that one notable time when Ayton held his arms straight up in the air. Luka couldn't believe that they "missed" one.
It's been determined that he's the NBA's golden child. The refs know that and act accordingly. He can do no wrong and if he is wronged, he'll flash the money sign.
"Be Legendary."

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I don't understand how Luka can get a foul called every time he falls to the ground. Except for that one notable time when Ayton held his arms straight up in the air. Luka couldn't believe that they "missed" one.
It's been determined that he's the NBA's golden child. The refs know that and act accordingly. He can do no wrong and if he is wronged, he'll flash the money sign.
I can't believe the money sign isn't an automatic tech. He's basically saying that the refs are being paid off.

Indy

Post by Indy »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:45 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
I can't believe the money sign isn't an automatic tech. He's basically saying that the refs are being paid off.
I think they were hoping if they ignore it he would stop. But it needs to be a tech just like clapping for them is.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And sooner than later.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:25 pm
SunsRIt wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:17 pm
I worked the night before this game, so I was asleep when it was going on. I’m sure glad I was. I probably would have yelled and broken my TV from what I hear about the game.
Consider yourself lucky. It was NOT a fun weekend of Suns basketball.
I stopped my streaming the moment the referee said "Challenge unsuccessful" on Paul's fifth, maybe I was the only one on Game Pass international to do it, but I can't keep backing up a product like this. We have had some atrociously ref'ed games in the past, but enough it's enough. I won't keep viewership of a show instead of a sport, if the referees go full "wrestling match" again, I will cancel my subscription. What's the point on competing if we are going to get fixed out of the competition as soon as the ratings calls for other team to win?

Who can give me a pointer on where to send this message to the league?

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

I didn't go that far.
And I'm seriously considering cancelling my subscritpion too. I've better things to spend my money on than this masquerade...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Things flow. The Suns could easily get all the calls the next game because of the backlash and then it will be Dallas fans complaining and flashing the money sign.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I hope the Suns fans get after him again in Game 5.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Nodack wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:27 pm
Things flow. The Suns could easily get all the calls the next game because of the backlash and then it will be Dallas fans complaining and flashing the money sign.
Precisely, on game 3, they whistled Luka for shady 4th and 5th fouls, stopping Dallas momentum, so the score ended looking more competitive that it was. I said "wrestling match" in purpose, because you can see how the second round goes as absurd as allowing chair throwing or a referee tripping/hugging on a wrestler to change momentum. Then you get a completely opposite 3rd round staging a miraculous comeback.

I don't want the calls going the Suns' way, or compensation after a failed call. The referees' habit for compensation is ruining the game. I want a fairly called game, all game long. Put more referees on the floor, or a virtual table capable of overturn on real time. Referees will start to do better to avoid embarrassment. Botched calls leading to less games available for a referee - therefore less money- will do wonders as well (I can hear the Referees' Union already screaming).

My point is, the league HAVE to do better.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They are afraid to take the human element away from reffing. I am ok if tech makes it more accurate and speeds things up. Like a digital ump in baseball calling balls and strikes.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

There needs to be less calls. There’s too much emphasis this round on calls and whether a play was a basketball move. It’s gross to watch highlights and you see fouls making the highlights for various games.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

NGL, there have been multiple times during these playoffs where the thought has crossed my mind that I should just quit watching the NBA and my fandom for the Suns, because it just seems so rigged.

I'm with Aztec, if it's called one way, make sure it's called the same way on both ends. It's not fun watching the game wondering, is that going to be called a foul? Could that be overturned? Why is it a flagrant on one side, and a common foul on the other? And listening to the idiot broadcasters say, "Oh there, he grabs his arm. He grabs his arm. That's a foul." when nothing of the sort happens and they are trying to justify a bunch of bs. I'm tired of being gaslit when I'm watching it with my own eyes be total BS.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:40 am
NGL, there have been multiple times during these playoffs where the thought has crossed my mind that I should just quit watching the NBA and my fandom for the Suns, because it just seems so rigged.

I'm with Aztec, if it's called one way, make sure it's called the same way on both ends. It's not fun watching the game wondering, is that going to be called a foul? Could that be overturned? Why is it a flagrant on one side, and a common foul on the other? And listening to the idiot broadcasters say, "Oh there, he grabs his arm. He grabs his arm. That's a foul." when nothing of the sort happens and they are trying to justify a bunch of bs. I'm tired of being gaslit when I'm watching it with my own eyes be total BS.
Paul did grab Brunson's arm ever so briefly.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:03 am
In2ition wrote:

Could you really call that a grab? It was barely brushed.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I think I could even train algorithms for fair reffing myself. And I know that the NBA has a good young data scientist named Arun who definitely could do it. Make it happen, Silver.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:19 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:03 am
In2ition wrote:

Could you really call that a grab? It was barely brushed.
I agree it should have been let go. Especially with what the golden child gets away with.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I finished watching the Warriors game. It was real close at the end. Curry won it on a flop. He was in position for a rebound and a Memphis player came up behind him to try for the round too and ever so slightly touched Curry’s back. Curry went flying forward like he had been hit by a truck and they called a foul. A total flop and it was the difference between winning and losing that game. Players seem to really up the flopping in the playoffs and it’s ridiculous.

I suppose we will get the playoffs replay rules now like when a defensive player knocks the ball away from the offensive player and it’s called out on the defensive player during the regular season, but in the playoffs they replay it and always notice it rolled off the offensive players finger tips in slow motion and is out on the offensive player. This rule only applies during the playoffs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They don’t replay out of bounds calls anymore. Has to be challenged

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:30 pm
They don’t replay out of bounds calls anymore. Has to be challenged
Thanks to the Suns playoff run last year.