School / education stuff

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: School / education stuff

Post by Mori Chu »

Do average people in these states really want books banned and government encroaching into schools this much? Has all the anti-"CRT" stuff sunk in that deeply?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Now don't go thinking I'm posting this as some confirmation of some conspiracy theory. I'm not.

I had no idea it was this high, but at the same time there are over 3 million teachers, so...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

the 3.2 million number is just teachers, not including aides. So 0.004% of people that chose a profession to be close to kids were accused of child sex-related crimes (not found guilty or even brought into court).

Now do cops. Or politicians. Or IT workers. Or clergy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yes, I know it's a small number as a whole. It was just surprising, tbh. It was a big deal when the Mary Kay Letourneau case came up. You just never heard of such things. That's why it's surprising that it's 135 and it's only May.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Between Covid and being demonized, teachers are getting out of the teaching profession. I feel like our education system is being torn apart by politics. One party is all in on publics schools. The other party wants to abolish public schools and go to all private schooling. This has had a negative effect on our teachers and students and cash starved school districts without supplies or teachers. This fight for control has hurt students and teachers.

Why teachers are burning out and leaving districts scrambling to fill jobs
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/31/us/teach ... index.html
"I've never had a school year start where we've had so many vacancies, and it's really sad," Kortsen said. "We have it posted, we've gone to job fairs, and there's simply no teachers out there to be had right now."
After two years of weathering pandemic health concerns, learning loss, and tense public scrutiny, teacher burnout is surging nationwide.

Student test scores plummeted in math and reading after the pandemic, new assessment finds
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/01/us/stude ... index.html
Math and reading scores for 9-year-olds in the US fell between 2020 and 2022 by a level not seen in decades, a foreboding sign of the state of American education two years after the Covid-19 pandemic began.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another article about ChatGPT being used for plagiarism. Presumably this is going to be a big challenge at schools and universities.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wow. The College Board (AP) has announced that they're stripping down AP US African-American History courses in response to pressure from FL Gov. Ron DeSantis and his policies. I'm disappointed and surprised that they caved to this.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The GOP seems to be deciding that it wants to become a full-on anti-education party. I guess a stupid population is more likely to vote for them, so it makes some sense.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:18 am
The GOP seems to be deciding that it wants to become a full-on anti-education party. I guess a stupid population is more likely to vote for them, so it makes some sense.

Having a wife in education and seeing this first hand has been an eye opener…. Once they wanted to tie education to capitalism; it was game over for looking out for the kids. It’s all about the money, not about the student.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let's pretend like slavery never happened. I just finished reading Roots and this country was built on slavery.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Sometimes I try to wrap my head around all of this and try to see the big picture. What are both sides trying to say and what is their reasoning? The term Woke has become a symbol for both sides to attack each other. It was originally a term to call attention to racial injustice against blacks. It has been appropriated recently to mean all progressive causes.

The term has become toxic to Republicans. To them Woke means blaming todays white people for all the wrongs committed against blacks in the past and in the present. To them Woke = white people are bad people and some of them don’t appreciate being labeled the bad guy just for being born white. That’s racism too. They weren’t alive when slavery existed. Reparations for blacks? Slavery happened many many generations ago. Make todays white people pay for their ancestors sins? I’m half Norwegian. My ancestors raped and pillaged Europe. Should I pay reparations?

To me personally Woke means waking up to social injustices. Slavery was an evil bad thing. No one should own another person and that has been established for a long time now on planet earth. There are still some pockets of slavery on earth today but, for the most part it has been abolished. The police killing blacks for sport is even more evil than slavery and goes on today. That is the Woke I support. I don’t support defunding the police. I support hiring police that are right for the job and are properly trained.

I support teaching American history. The good and the bad. I don’t want the history books to focus on the bad things we did. I just want all of the history told honestly. I don’t want trans teachers teaching kindergartners about gays. I don’t want anyone teaching sex anything to kindergartners. When they are old enough to be curious about sex, like when they are in 8th grade, I don’t have a problem teaching them sex education. They need to know that having unprotected sex can lead to bad things down the road and they need to know ways to avoid those traps like STDs and unwanted pregnancy. By then they will know what gay and straight mean. They will start to figure out who they are attracted to on their own. Teaching them that gays are just people and should be respected like anyone else is something I support too.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:27 am
Sometimes I try to wrap my head around all of this and try to see the big picture. What are both sides trying to say and what is their reasoning? The term Woke has become a symbol for both sides to attack each other. It was originally a term to call attention to racial injustice against blacks. It has been appropriated recently to mean all progressive causes.

The term has become toxic to Republicans. To them Woke means blaming todays white people for all the wrongs committed against blacks in the past and in the present. To them Woke = white people are bad people and some of them don’t appreciate being labeled the bad guy just for being born white. That’s racism too. They weren’t alive when slavery existed. Reparations for blacks? Slavery happened many many generations ago. Make todays white people pay for their ancestors sins? I’m half Norwegian. My ancestors raped and pillaged Europe. Should I pay reparations?

To me personally Woke means waking up to social injustices. Slavery was an evil bad thing. No one should own another person and that has been established for a long time now on planet earth. There are still some pockets of slavery on earth today but, for the most part it has been abolished. The police killing blacks for sport is even more evil than slavery and goes on today. That is the Woke I support. I don’t support defunding the police. I support hiring police that are right for the job and are properly trained.

I support teaching American history. The good and the bad. I don’t want the history books to focus on the bad things we did. I just want all of the history told honestly. I don’t want trans teachers teaching kindergartners about gays. I don’t want anyone teaching sex anything to kindergartners. When they are old enough to be curious about sex, like when they are in 8th grade, I don’t have a problem teaching them sex education. They need to know that having unprotected sex can lead to bad things down the road and they need to know ways to avoid those traps like STDs and unwanted pregnancy. By then they will know what gay and straight mean. They will start to figure out who they are attracted to on their own. Teaching them that gays are just people and should be respected like anyone else is something I support too.
PREACH!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:47 pm
Nodack wrote:

PREACH!
Yes, I think those are the views of most sensible Americans no matter which party you belong to.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:59 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Nodack wrote:

PREACH!
Yes, I think those are the views of most sensible Americans no matter which party you belong to.
And what % of Americans are sensible?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:20 am
Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:59 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Nodack wrote:

PREACH!
And what % of Americans are sensible?
Good question. I really have no idea.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I just watched a series on tv about Hitlers SS and it showed me how a charismatic leader can get a whole country to blindly follow him down a dark path based on charisma and propaganda. Germany was suffering after WWI and Hitler promised a way out of their misery and they followed. He made them believe it was the Jews who were responsible for all their troubles and we know the rest.

Trump reminded me of Hitler. Not because I think he wants to rule the world but, because of his charisma and ability to sway people by declaring certain groups/tribes the enemy. All their troubles would be gone if the people he claimed were bad were dealt with. In Hitlers case it was Jews. In Trumps case it’s pretty much everyone that doesn’t praise him. His motivation is himself. He is the center of the Universe and how can I benefit from any or everything?

Putin has some of the same charisma, just not as much. Putin relies more on intimidation and fear and doesn’t really care if you praise him or not. Just obey or die. His motivation is he wants the old Soviet Union back and he wants to be the guy who made that happen. Ukraine used to be part of the Soviet Union. He’s willing to kill every last one of them or sacrifice everything including his people if that’s what it takes.

I am still trying to figure out Santos. He doesn’t have the same charisma of Trump and Hitler. He has shown he is capable of silly childish stunts with his war on woke and immigrants. Disney was forced to take a side on the LGBT issue and Santos declared war on Disney. He used his political power to hurt them because of their support for LGBT. That is a serious abuse of power IMO. Bussing immigrants to New York was a political stunt and borders on illegal trafficking. He has shown he is willing to abuse power to gain political currency and that makes him dangerous.

The Dems are seriously lacking candidates with charisma. Obama was the undisputed king of charisma for them. He is out to pasture now. Biden should have been out to pasture a long time ago. Who else do they have? The last batch of Presidential candidates were ok. They all lack charisma though. People want to follow someone who really believes in what they are selling or at least is able to convince people he or she knows what they are talking about. Unfortunately the best people at charisma tend to have massive egos, an appetite for power.

Is it impossible for a Moderate to be elected? Sensible people want that. The extreme voices get heard, not the moderate ones. Todays climate of extreme media and social media propaganda it’s just a free for all of hate and misinformation. You may have the best ideas for our future but, if you can’t sell your ideas they are worthless.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:39 pm
I just watched a series on tv about Hitlers SS and it showed me how a charismatic leader can get a whole country to blindly follow him down a dark path based on charisma and propaganda. Germany was suffering after WWI and Hitler promised a way out of their misery and they followed. He made them believe it was the Jews who were responsible for all their troubles and we know the rest.

Trump reminded me of Hitler. Not because I think he wants to rule the world but, because of his charisma and ability to sway people by declaring certain groups/tribes the enemy. All their troubles would be gone if the people he claimed were bad were dealt with. In Hitlers case it was Jews. In Trumps case it’s pretty much everyone that doesn’t praise him. His motivation is himself. He is the center of the Universe and how can I benefit from any or everything?

Putin has some of the same charisma, just not as much. Putin relies more on intimidation and fear and doesn’t really care if you praise him or not. Just obey or die. His motivation is he wants the old Soviet Union back and he wants to be the guy who made that happen. Ukraine used to be part of the Soviet Union. He’s willing to kill every last one of them or sacrifice everything including his people if that’s what it takes.

I am still trying to figure out Santos. He doesn’t have the same charisma of Trump and Hitler. He has shown he is capable of silly childish stunts with his war on woke and immigrants. Disney was forced to take a side on the LGBT issue and Santos declared war on Disney. He used his political power to hurt them because of their support for LGBT. That is a serious abuse of power IMO. Bussing immigrants to New York was a political stunt and borders on illegal trafficking. He has shown he is willing to abuse power to gain political currency and that makes him dangerous.

The Dems are seriously lacking candidates with charisma. Obama was the undisputed king of charisma for them. He is out to pasture now. Biden should have been out to pasture a long time ago. Who else do they have? The last batch of Presidential candidates were ok. They all lack charisma though. People want to follow someone who really believes in what they are selling or at least is able to convince people he or she knows what they are talking about. Unfortunately the best people at charisma tend to have massive egos, an appetite for power.

Is it impossible for a Moderate to be elected? Sensible people want that. The extreme voices get heard, not the moderate ones. Todays climate of extreme media and social media propaganda it’s just a free for all of hate and misinformation. You may have the best ideas for our future but, if you can’t sell your ideas they are worthless.
Hit the nail right on the head...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Santos is more of a pathological liar than most folks, but I don't think he's too complicated. He is just hungry for money, power, influence. He's a grifter, a con man.