Social media

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Nodack

Re: Social media

Post by Nodack »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:23 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:16 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:13 pm
It seems like things are not looking so good for Elon. His bid to take over Twitter is going poorly; he is having trouble securing the money to buy it, and now he's trying to wiggle out of the purchase. Meanwhile the price is going down, making it a bad deal in the first place. Also Tesla stock is falling due to shaken confidence. And now he comes out and takes a partisan political position that may alienate half of his company's customers. If you read this guy's tweets he sounds like an immature 12 year old boy who still thinks it's funny to make "69" and "420" jokes and make fun of fat people and "the libs." He comes across as a real piece of work. Would you invest in this guy?
Teslas can fart on command. That's all you need to know.
And you know none of the engineers and designers that worked on these cars for YEARS before Elon bought the company ever spent time for that. But he has a "genius" moment and flew into the room and said "I got it!"
I did not know that. You have been against him for a long time. My thoughts were anyone who owns an electric car company, a company that makes rockets and sends people to space and makes futuristic solar powered roofs can’t be a complete idiot. What kind of Republican makes electric cars and solar roofs? That totally goes against the Republican mantra. I wonder what Republicans think of him. They probably hated him until he started wanting to own libs. Now I suppose he’s looked upon differently. And Dems probably liked him because he was into the Dem mantra of solar and electric cars.

This game we play in the US is stupid.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Being given enough money through your dad's apartheid emerald mines to buy "cool" companies doesn't make you not a complete idiot. (And I never said he was an idiot, just a shitty human being.)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:39 pm
I have a hard time believing that half of Tesla customers are GOP voters.
I don't know about half, but, I think a lot of upper-middle class Republicans like him and like Teslas. My wife's entire side of the family adore Musk, and multiple of them have gone out of their way to buy Teslas in the past few years.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:41 am
Indy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:39 pm
I have a hard time believing that half of Tesla customers are GOP voters.
I don't know about half, but, I think a lot of upper-middle class Republicans like him and like Teslas. My wife's entire side of the family adore Musk, and multiple of them have gone out of their way to buy Teslas in the past few years.
If you are talking about people in the bay area, your perspective might be skewed a bit

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm. An allegation against Elon Musk emerges. I'm a big innocent-until-proven-guilty guy, so I want to read more about it before drawing any conclusions. But maybe knowing that this story was about to break has influenced Elon's recent mood.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sheesh
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Musk obviously loves attention.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He loves himself and thinks he is the smartest, most clever person around.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

And wants everyone to know it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Counterpoint:
Or, it's the same boring playbook every single time. Get some new ideas on how to smear people.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

How is it a smear if it is just talking about a settlement he agreed to?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Settlements never happen to the very rich, when it's not worth fighting it?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Salacious headline,, but talks about fake followers,, including Elon's.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The more famous an account, the higher percentage of bots follow them. And just because it is a bot, doesn't make it a fake follower. I use a ton of bots for different things on Twitter that I find useful. Some bots aggregate several different accounts and post them all in one feed. Others post silly memes (I think @RikerGoogling is hilarious) but if that account followed Joe Biden or Taylor Swift, it would count as a bot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 7:24 pm
Settlements never happen to the very rich, when it's not worth fighting it?
I think the richer you are, the more likely you are to protect your reputation if someone is extorting you with lies.

And if you extrapolate those numbers out, 250k for Elon is <0.0001% of his net worth. If you were "just" a millionaire, it would be the equivalent of $108.69.

I am not rich by any means. If someone (especially an employee) accused me of exposing myself and sexually harassing them, I would fight it. If I could make it go away for $100 in a settlement (even if the settlement said I was paying to make it go away but not admitting any guilt), I wouldn't do it. Even if it cost me $10,000 to fight it instead.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I get what you're saying, and I would do the same. Our name & reputation is one of our only assets. I'm not sure it always applies to the mega filthy rich though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought Elon was Mr. Free Speech, but he's forced his accuser to sign a non-disclosure agreement so that she can't speak about her allegations against him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's also claiming that this never happened, so take that for what it's worth.