Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by The Bobster »

"Karl Anthony Towns is expected to sign a 4-year, $211M extension with Minnesota Timberwolves."

$52 million a year for a center who has played 11 playoff games in his 7-year career (two first round exits) and probably the 3rd or 4th best center in the NBA (depending on whether you like him or Gobert more).

So what does this make Ayton worth? He's played 35 playoff games in four years (including a trip to the finals) and is arguably the 6th or 7th best center in the league (along with guys like Adebayo and Vučević).

How much difference should there be salary-wise? What helps you win more - Towns' offense or Ayton's defense?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Bobster wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:13 am
"Karl Anthony Towns is expected to sign a 4-year, $211M extension with Minnesota Timberwolves."

$52 million a year for a center who has played 11 playoff games in his 7-year career (two first round exits) and probably the 3rd or 4th best center in the NBA (depending on whether you like him or Gobert more).

So what does this make Ayton worth? He's played 35 playoff games in four years (including a trip to the finals) and is arguably the 6th or 7th best center in the league (along with guys like Adebayo and Vučević).

How much difference should there be salary-wise? What helps you win more - Towns' offense or Ayton's defense?
The answer is probably neither. However, again the Suns will have to just match market value unless they’re willing to let their second/third most valuable asset leave for marbles

Split T

Post by Split T »

That contract for Towns would scare me. It feels like it will keep Minny I’m mediocity…unless Edwards turns into a superstar.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:23 am
That contract for Towns would scare me. It feels like it will keep Minny I’m mediocity…unless Edwards turns into a superstar.
I think Towns stunts that Edwards step, those 2 do not seem to play well together, they just stand their and pout when the other one has the ball.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TOO wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:33 pm
Split T wrote:
I think Towns stunts that Edwards step, those 2 do not seem to play well together, they just stand their and pout when the other one has the ball.
We should do them a favor and take Edwards from them

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Timberwolves are being held hostage by their franchise history.

KAT is not good enough to warrant a $50M/year contract, but the challenge of dealing him combined with the integration of a new front office and ownership who're determined to not be cheap like the current owner has created this kind of "pinch your nose and hope for the best" situation.

I ultimately think they'll be fine with KAT and Edwards. Russell is the real issue for them. They need to move off of him ASAP and use his money/space to fill out holes between their young guys. Or they need their version of Chris Paul on the Suns.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The Wolves had a nice season. But you could totally imagine them screwing it up and taking a step back next year; they always seem to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I think maxing Towns is the right move for them. He's a flawed player, but if it goes south for them, they can always find a trade partner and move him later in the season. When you're a small/medium market team, you don't just let valuable assets walk away for nothing (hmmm).

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

What about Russell for Conley and Jordan Clarkson?

Minny does it because, while Conley looked fuckin washed in the Playoffs, he could still be good role player and would provide great veteran leadership.

Clarkson is a cheaper version of Russell.

Utah does it because, A) Conley looks fuckin washed/can’t stay healthy and B) I think it would actually make them better. I think a Russell/Mitchell backcourt would be pretty fun offensively. Russell obviously an upgrade over Clarkson. Trade Rudy for players that could make Utah more dynamic on offensively and you got a decent retooled team. Maybe.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:20 pm
Anthony Davis is in the Chris Webber neighborhood of "what if's" at this point. He gets a pretty ridiculous pass right now because of the one title team he was on which happened to include arguably the best player ever.
Who also led them in PPG, RPG, APG, and MPG.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:

I think it is more about which can be the centerpiece (no pun intended) of a contending team. I don't think you can win a championship with either player as your best player, but if you are Minny you kind of have to give KAT the contract or you will lose him and have to start over from scratch (also telling the rest of the league that you won't pay your home-grown draft pick, and best player in 15 years, to stay there).

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:23 pm
TOO wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:33 pm
Split T wrote:
We should do them a favor and take Edwards from them
If only...

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:15 pm
The Bobster wrote:

I think it is more about which can be the centerpiece (no pun intended) of a contending team. I don't think you can win a championship with either player as your best player, but if you are Minny you kind of have to give KAT the contract or you will lose him and have to start over from scratch (also telling the rest of the league that you won't pay your home-grown draft pick, and best player in 15 years, to stay there).
But if you are Phoenix you kind of have to give Ayton the contract or you will lose him and have to start over from scratch (also telling the rest of the league that you won't pay your home-grown first and only #1 draft pick, and best center in 55 years, to stay there).
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:43 pm
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

But if you are Phoenix you kind of have to give Ayton the contract or you will lose him and have to start over from scratch (also telling the rest of the league that you won't pay your home-grown first and only #1 draft pick, and best center in 55 years, to stay there).
KAT is their best player and has been for years and is a 3 time all-star and 2 time all-nba. Ayton is at best 3rd on this team and a zero time all-star and zero time all-nba.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:53 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

KAT is their best player and has been for years and is a 3 time all-star and 2 time all-nba. Ayton is at best 3rd on this team and a zero time all-star and zero time all-nba.
That's why he gets the supermax and Ayton gets the regular max.

By the way, Booker was a zero time All-Star and zero time All-NBA when he got his max extension.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

DA is our second most impactful two way player after Booker IMO.

Bridges is a super role player.

Everything on offense and defense depends on DA, and it shows why we did so well when he played well.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:14 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

By the way, Booker was a zero time All-Star and zero time All-NBA when he got his max extension.
Yep, but he was clearly the best player on the team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:24 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Everything on offense and defense depends on DA, and it shows why we did so well when he played well.
Why did we do so well when he didn't play, too?

I am not disagreeing with how good Ayton is, but he isn't our 2nd best player.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:25 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

Why did we do so well when he didn't play, too?

I am not disagreeing with how good Ayton is, but he isn't our 2nd best player.
We played well no matter who was playing or wasn’t playing in the regular season.

Also, because our role players played well in games that didn’t matter. Biyombo or Javale can fill in just fine against a suck team or a team not playing hard in the regular season.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:14 pm
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

Yep, but he was clearly the best player on the team.
Not much of a distinction. We had nobody before Booker got here.