Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: Social media

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's a counter-thread from an AI/ML expert who is more skeptical about the "sentience" idea for this LaMDA AI.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:10 am
Here's a counter-thread from an AI/ML expert who is more skeptical about the "sentience" idea for this LaMDA AI.

Rats a paywall!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:03 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:10 am
Rats a paywall!
Rats should be able to chew threw a paywall.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Usually for sites like medium.com I just pop up an Incognito tab (or open another browser) if I need to read 1-2 articles past my limit.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Here is the article (it is just a copy/paste so there may be some other parts mixed in from the article's ads)
Spoiler: show/hide

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am not sure we even have a good way of defining what sentience/consciousness is, even for humans.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

In the “Terminator” when it became sentient it realized people were the problem and wanted to eliminate them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

hard to argue with that.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Yep

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Now if only we can teach it to target the bad humans, the ones who disagree with ME!

Mori Chu

Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Post by Mori Chu »

Thought we could use a dedicated thread to discuss AI issues.

To start with, we're fucked and Skynet is real:

Mori Chu

Re: Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Post by Mori Chu »

Even the chess-playing robots will try to kill your ass:

Nodack

Re: Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Post by Nodack »

Robots are machines controlled by computers, which are programmed by humans. They can be programmed to kill your enemies or captured and used by your enemies to kill you. Maybe I should be afraid of robots becoming sentient and wanting to kill humans. I am much more afraid of humans using robots to kill other humans. I am terrified and fascinated by military tech. Everything is getting more and more precise and lethal.

They still use the same howitzers on the battlefield to shoot artillery shells. They have been fairly accurate. Now they have smart guided munitions they can steer once they have been fired, making them super precise and still much cheaper than other sophisticated weapons like guided missiles.

They still have grenade launchers fired from a gun. Now they can be programmed to explode just inside the doorway the enemy is hiding behind.

Every country is scrambling to make drones now because they have proven to be very effective. “The Rise of the Drones” You have seen the ultra sophisticated drone light shows where hundreds of drones act as one to create dazzling displays and art. Now picture a thousand drones with military hardware attacking simultaneously as one unit. A thousand drones attacking an aircraft carrier? In movies the bad guys always miss. Computers are very good at aiming. I suppose that would make EMP weapons that more important in the future.

We humans decided nukes are a threshold we don’t cross on the battlefield. To do so triggers a nuclear response, which triggers the end of the world, So now we continue to make better and more sophisticated weapons that can precisely target without destroying an entire city at once.

Putin probably would have preferred to just launch a nukes into Ukrainian cities instead of risking boots on the ground. He was forced to launch thousands of missiles into Ukrainian cities that leveled those cities as much as a nuke would have, but I guess slowly destroying a city piece by piece is acceptable warfare by todays standards.