Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wormwood

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Wormwood »

I remember seeing something weird after the Suns flopped against the Mavs. The end of year message that was sent out from the team was signed by a minority owner. Additionally, he didn't attend the last few home games. I really think that sometime during the doldrums between the end of the finals and the NBA Draft that we're going to find out that he's being shown the door by the NBA and pushed to sell to one of the other owners.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 811249002/

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-su ... 12120.html

TOO

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by TOO »

Just want it to be over and that ginger fuck to have to get lost. He's a stain.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

At this point, it is all about fairness and due process for me. If they were going to make a knee jerk reaction to unsubstantiated comments, they would have done it a long time ago. I will be satisfied with the outcome, whatever it will be. In other words, I am choosing to trust the process, maybe because I am equating time with care. Even if they had a decision months ago and have waited, it is just good PR.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:14 pm
I remember seeing something weird after the Suns flopped against the Mavs. The end of year message that was sent out from the team was signed by a minority owner. Additionally, he didn't attend the last few home games. I really think that sometime during the doldrums between the end of the finals and the NBA Draft that we're going to find out that he's being shown the door by the NBA and pushed to sell to one of the other owners.

I think the same, Sarver’s resignation from his daily job was very telling, damage control on full display. And I don’t want to go that far, but I keep thinking that our monumental collapse it’s somehow related. Imagine the NBA delivering the Trophy to an organization on the verge of a league mandated change of owner?

So, in the middle of the Dallas series, the incoming punishment got leaked into the locker room and rattled the team to the bone, including deep disagreements about how to proceed about it. Back channel comunications tell them that there’s no way the Suns would advance to the Finals, and the team lost their will, concentration and composure.

Pure speculation, but it makes some sense to me.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I think it might have affected their play eventually, for whatever reason(s). Which is crazy, because everyone was saying that it would before the season started and then all year it seemed like it was having no effect on the team, until the very end of the year.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wormwood wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:14 pm

It was signed by James Jones and Jason Rowley, who is the Suns' President and CEO. But the fact that the statement was not signed by Robert Sarver is pretty interesting.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Was it signed by Sarver in the past?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I will say, it could mean that they are phasing him out, but it could just be them trying to quiet talk about Sarver. Maybe they know nothing came of the investigation and that the nba is waiting to release that on some random Tuesday in August and Sarver is trying to stay as out of the picture as possible so the news goes through with as little backlash as possible.

Perhaps Baxter Holmes, the guy with the story in the first place, knows this too and that’s why he broke that new story of an employee quitting due to an unhealthy and inappropriate work environment.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:14 pm
Was it signed by Sarver in the past?
I don't think the Suns have ever released an apology letter for losing before.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

So when does the Sarver announcement drop?

Tomorrow?

The next Monday?

In the middle of August when no one is paying attention to the NBA? (That would be my guess at this point.)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Middle of August is my guess…the nba off season becomes a pretty big story, I think if they could pick a time, it’d be sometime between end of July and before September. That’s the nba dead zone

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I bet it'll be sooner than August. Probably within the next couple weeks. I think they were waiting for the Finals to be over and now they'll release whatever their findings are.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:49 pm
I bet it'll be sooner than August. Probably within the next couple weeks. I think they were waiting for the Finals to be over and now they'll release whatever their findings are.
They don't want to spoil the draft though. Sometime after that.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Maybe between the draft and free agency…if not I could see them waiting until free agency calms down…unless they want to sneak it in when bigger things are going down because they aren’t gonna do anything.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If they don't do it soon, they need to wait until after the start of the free agency period, assuming he's being removed. It's not fair to leave us with an unclear ownership situation as soon as free agency is about to begin.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:21 pm
If they don't do it soon, they need to wait until after the start of the free agency period, assuming he's being removed. It's not fair to leave us with an unclear ownership situation as soon as free agency is about to begin.
Good point.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It’s possible part of what’s taking so long is a sale.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:56 pm
Don't get my hopes up like that. :P

TOO

Post by TOO »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:23 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:56 pm
Don't get my hopes up like that. :P
This is a good post.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If they are working on a sale, I would bet it is just to sell Sarver's shares, and maybe just to the rest of the ownership group. They would still need a valuation put together that the other partners and Sarver agree to, then buy out his share. That all would have to happen after the investigation is over, and after the League sat Bob down and walked him through the evidence and told him there was no other way. Lots of dominos to line up.