Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by ShelC »

Woj on the ESPN Draft Special

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

No shit, Woj.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wouldn't the strategy be to say that we want DA back and will match any and all offers?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That's the strategy. But what they want to do and will do aren't always the same.

My initial comment was more about the Suns not offering Ayton the max deal he's wanted in the first place.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I’m generally worried that James Jones is cool with just letting Ayton walk for nothing.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't think we have to worry about exactly that, but there's a pretty good chance the return is viewed as more or less "nothing".

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:26 pm
I’m generally worried that James Jones is cool with just letting Ayton walk for nothing.
That would be a catastrophic failure. Not valuing him at the max is one thing, just letting him walk without extracting value would be a fireable offense imo.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:27 pm
I don't think we have to worry about exactly that, but there's a pretty good chance the return is viewed as more or less "nothing".
This is probably the case. Especially since teams know they don't want to max him, Detroit doesn't need to give us anything to get Ayton, they'd be giving up value to help DA out financially.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The return in a sign and trade should increase if Atlanta moves John Collins in the next few days. That'll line up a bidding war between them and Detroit. I'd throw in another wildcard team like Indiana or San Antonio as well, but I'm less convinced those teams want to give up assets and sign Ayton to a 5-year max.

carey

Post by carey »

I’d do what I can to get John Collins in Phx. One of the best pick and roll finishers in the league. I don’t think ATL values Ayton though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I’ve already comes to terms with the fact that any Ayton S&T will probably be garbage but getting anything, no matter how little, is still better than nothing but the pistons don’t really have any incentive to engage in that. I think they are perfectly content with just rolling the dice on a simple offer sheet and seeing if the Suns blink.

They cleared so much cap space that they can easily afford to take big swings and misses. They could just easily pivot to a new target through trade instead of Free agency or just take on some bad contracts from other teams to add some extra draft picks for the future and try their luck at free agency next year. They have tons of flexibility right now with how they approach their rebuild.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:39 pm
I’d do what I can to get John Collins in Phx. One of the best pick and roll finishers in the league. I don’t think ATL values Ayton though.
I’d be cool with Collins, Gambo says we aren’t interested though.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:13 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:57 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:56 am
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 am
Not gonna lie, that article doesn’t make me feel great about Jones long term. Seems like he works in our current win now state, but not someone I want at the helm for a rebuild.
I agree. I never thought Jones was any sort of special talent anyway, but this further makes me dread the inevitable rebuild after he sells the future and we stink.
The misery posts never end with you, do they? We've had arguably our best two year stretch in franchise history and you're trashing the GM as not being any sort of special and you're full of dread. What gets you through the day and looking forward to tomorrow in life? It's gotten to the point that when I see your avatar next to a post, I'm expecting to read depressing sentences and negative takes about ownership, our GM, our coaches, our roster. We could win a championship and you'd be down and out that it wasn't a sweep or that the championship t-shirts don't have the right font.
I'll let you know when they win a title. I'm not excited about playoffs exits, sorry if that offends you. Paul forced his way to Phoenix, Jones hasn't done much to build my confidence in him outside of acquiring a guy who wanted to come here. Suns owner still sucks, these are simple facts bud. Another fact is Booker is not a super max player, he's probably gonna get it, because the Suns under Jones haven't developed any young talent to even consider moving a guy like Booker instead of overpaying him.
Yeah, I don’t know about your ridiculous last statement, however I agree with the general sentiment of your post. Miss me with the “celebrate the participation trophies don’t expect a championship.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:15 pm
TOO wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
TOO wrote:
Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 am
Not gonna lie, that article doesn’t make me feel great about Jones long term. Seems like he works in our current win now state, but not someone I want at the helm for a rebuild.
I agree. I never thought Jones was any sort of special talent anyway, but this further makes me dread the inevitable rebuild after he sells the future and we stink.
The misery posts never end with you, do they? We've had arguably our best two year stretch in franchise history and you're trashing the GM as not being any sort of special and you're full of dread. What gets you through the day and looking forward to tomorrow in life? It's gotten to the point that when I see your avatar next to a post, I'm expecting to read depressing sentences and negative takes about ownership, our GM, our coaches, our roster. We could win a championship and you'd be down and out that it wasn't a sweep or that the championship t-shirts don't have the right font.
I'll let you know when they win a title. I'm not excited about playoffs exits, sorry if that offends you. Paul forced his way to Phoenix, Jones hasn't done much to build my confidence in him outside of acquiring a guy who wanted to come here. Suns owner still sucks, these are simple facts bud. Another fact is Booker is not a super max player, he's probably gonna get it, because the Suns under Jones haven't developed any young talent to even consider moving a guy like Booker instead of overpaying him.
Yeah, I don’t know about your ridiculous last statement, however I agree with the general sentiment of your post. Miss me with the “celebrate the participation trophies don’t expect a championship.”
It wasn't saying trade Booker, it was stating the team hasn't built anything to withstand trading trading Booker if they didn't wanna supermax him. They have no choice to pay him more than he's worth because there is nothing left otherwise, which is from poor drafting and GM moves.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:59 pm
carey wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:39 pm
I’d be cool with Collins, Gambo says we aren’t interested though.
Seems like Gambo has been more of a pawn than an insider while Jones has been the GM.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:24 pm
specialsauce wrote:
TOO wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
TOO wrote:

It wasn't saying trade Booker, it was stating the team hasn't built anything to withstand trading trading Booker if they didn't wanna supermax him. They have no choice to pay him more than he's worth because there is nothing left otherwise, which is from poor drafting and GM moves.
That’s a silly statement because we’re not looking to trade him and he deserves the max. If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle, but she doesn’t so what’s the point?

TOO

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:27 pm
TOO wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
TOO wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:

It wasn't saying trade Booker, it was stating the team hasn't built anything to withstand trading Booker if they didn't wanna supermax him. They have no choice to pay him more than he's worth because there is nothing left otherwise, which is from poor drafting and GM moves.
That’s a silly statement because we’re not looking to trade him and he deserves the max. If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle, but she doesn’t so what’s the point?
To point out the lack of roster depth because the GM doesn't know how to draft. Seems pretty self explanatory.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Game 7 energy.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:52 pm
Every player on your team should be in consideration for trading if it moves you closer to winning a championship.
Not sure how removing Booker gets you closer. I get what you're saying in general terms but the argument being made about negligence by James to not have a replacement lined up simply so we don't have to pay him whatever super max he'd be entitled to is ridiculous. That was TOO's point. Not "every player should be untouchable in the pursuit of a championship". The true pursuit of a championship shouldn't involve cost cutting measures, especially considering our relatively weak recent history of player development and drafting. It would also be another great way to alienate our franchise from superstar talent by avoiding such max contracts.

If we want to talk negligence, it's not in James not having a near Booker replacement on the roster. It's in not having a 6th man caliber guard of ANY sort on the roster this year. We rode our two horses to death and got buried in the playoffs.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

TOO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:34 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:27 pm
TOO wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
TOO wrote:

It wasn't saying trade Booker, it was stating the team hasn't built anything to withstand trading Booker if they didn't wanna supermax him. They have no choice to pay him more than he's worth because there is nothing left otherwise, which is from poor drafting and GM moves.
To point out the lack of roster depth because the GM doesn't know how to draft. Seems pretty self explanatory.
To which we agree. I'm a miser today. Tomorrow is a new day. I don't actually have an axe to grind with you.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton