2022 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Post by Split T »

They did add a little caveat that the suns are asking to meet with prospects in that range(I think they said FaceTime) just in case something happens.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sidery is such a tool. He is basically live tweeting Lowe's podcast. Why don't you tell people to go listen to it and pick out a quote or two you want to highlight and give your take on? Just posting spoilers when you are supposed to be a reporter/media member is just bleh.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It seems to unfortunately be the way these guys make a name for themselves…grow a following by posting other peoples stuff…The aggregator generation of sports media

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:25 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:56 am
Here's the blurb, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since we don't need to free up cap space to re-sign Cam or DA. Also not sure it even makes sense for the Pels since they have Jones and Murphy who are kind of similar to Cam. Maybe this would be part of a larger move somehow?

It only works if this is part of a plan to stock up on assets that can be moved for a superstar like KD. Cam is a known quantity without a ton of upside: he is what he is for the most part at 26 years old. Great 3 point shooter, ok handles, can dunk a little, solid defender, works hard within a system. Dangling the 8th pick in a trade is a lot more salivating.

If I see this move, it makes me much more likely to believe there's something cooking for KD.

Or, Sarver's just being cheap. That's probably an even better explanation.
Occam's Razor.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:08 pm

Me from the last page 8-)
Wally_West wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:17 pm

If we’re interested into just buying our way into the draft, Minny might be interesting option with 3 second round picks.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

People should temper expectations of any mid-40s pick we acquire. Those picks have a really low success rate to begin with and then you add Monty’s reluctance to play rookies, JJ’s shaky draft record and head scout Ewe Toob’s tendency to make all prospects look better than they are by focusing only on their highlights…. I’m not getting my hopes up.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Here's the clip of Lowe and Givony's discussion about Ayton, Cam Johnson, etc. Pretty interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Of course, like most NBA experts, they think the Suns are idiots for being hesitant to pay Ayton the max. They also said the same thing about the Hornets and Bridges after discussing Ayton.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:35 pm
Here's the clip of Lowe and Givony's discussion about Ayton, Cam Johnson, etc. Pretty interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Of course, like most NBA experts, they think the Suns are idiots for being hesitant to pay Ayton the max. They also said the same thing about the Hornets and Bridges after discussing Ayton.
Thanks for the clip. I didn't hear that. They said it would be dumb to lose him for nothing. And I think every one of us on this board agrees with this.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Piggy backing on the commentary about buying a second round pick, picks in the 31-35 range are often some of the most coveted because second rounders are not a part of the rookie contract scale. Conversely picks in the 25-30 range have a lower value for the same reason.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:56 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:35 pm
Thanks for the clip. I didn't hear that. They said it would be dumb to lose him for nothing. And I think every one of us on this board agrees with this.
That is what I heard to. And they said Ayton was a "max or near max guy" and I think we all agree with that 2nd part.

And Lowe said "I would pay him the max if I were a rebuilding team." Big difference.

And there is probably something to be said that the people that know him the most don't want to pay him.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Something to keep in mind about a 2022 first round pick being a part of an Ayton S&T deal is that newly signed rookies cannot be traded for 30 days after signing their contract.

One thing I can't find is how long teams usually wait to sign their first round picks. I assume most are signed the day their selected or the next day at the latest. But has there been a case when a first rounder wasn't initially signed because the team was considering moving them within the 30-day window?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I’m not sure, but you can trade their rights without counting against the cap, that’s how players are dealt on draft night. So it’s the other way around, you wait for the free agency period before the actual signing.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That'll make for an awkward introductory press conference on Friday for some rookie if it happens. I guess that press conference wouldn't happen until they've signed a contract, so it's just as awkward to delay the whole announcement for several days. It could be weeks if there are multiple teams who try to sign him as it has been stated by his agent.

It seems most likely the Suns won't acquire a rookie an Ayton trade.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think the Suns are trading Cam Johnson for a #8 pick; that's bad value for Cam, who is a future NBA starting forward. The only way it makes sense to trade Cam is if the Suns already have a deal in place to get a starting PF such as Collins from ATL, in which case we'd have a logjam at the 4.

That SAC Sabonis + #4 pick for Ayton trade idea kind of turns my stomach. I think Sabonis is a deeply flawed big in today's NBA since he can't shoot 3s and can't defend at an elite level. I guess if #4 Ivey turned out to be a stud maybe it'd be worth it, but, meh.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we’d be very lucky to get Sabonis and the 4th pick…I’m not even sure we could get Sabonis

Indy

Post by Indy »

The criticism of his shooting is fair. But at his peak during his all-star years, he was scoring more points on less shots than DA, rebounding more, and getting to the line over twice as often, and getting over 6 assists per game. He does so many things to keep an offense flowing.

Oh, and he costs less than Mikal.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Just watched some Keegan Murray video in case we can squeeze the Pistons on an Ayton S&T. He looks like he found slot in as our starting 4 tomorrow. If we can really squeeze them, getting him, Stewart and Bey wouldn’t be a bad haul. More likely, if we’re getting Murray, we’d be getting Cory Joseph or Killian Hayes instead of Bey.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've still not really been able to figure out how a rookie can be involved in a sign and trade if this goes down like I think it will.

I suppose the Suns and Pistons (for example) could come to an agreement that involves a rookie next week, but the transaction wouldn't actually go through until the end of July when their rookie becomes trade eligible. That would also prevent the Suns from playing a newly acquired rookie in the Summer League which isn't ideal.

It still seems kind of weird, but I think that's really the only way to make it legal.