Supreme Court

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Indy

Re: Supreme Court

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:52 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm
Again, apply the "he didn't have to like it, but we have to face Mecca and pray including saying Allahu akbar a dozen times each day" to a requirement of employment or attending school or whatever and it would be shut down by every branch of government in minutes.
Unless it’s shut down by an AR-15-wielding patriot before the government has a chance to.
Solid point.
Cap wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:52 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:08 pm
And start talking to historically black churches and Mosques and push setting up as many private schools based on vouchers, and push open carry of military style weapons. You will see things change.
I’d have no idea how to go about selling that. “Start carrying military style weapons! Cops and ‘patriots’ will shoot you on sight, but you’ll be making a great political point.” I guess I’ll have to leave the sales pitch to you.
lol. I am not a salesperson.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Some teachers alarmed by Florida civics training approach on religion, slavery
https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... n-slavery/
Among other topics, trainers told civics teachers the nation’s founders did not desire a strict separation between church and state.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Florida sounds like a swell place.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oooooof. This one is bad. Not only does this ruling strip much of the authority away from the Environmental Protection Agency, making it much harder to deal with climate change in a way that would save life on the planet, but it also serves as a precedent that could be used to strip away authority from many other federal government institutions such as the FDA, USDA, FCC, and so on. This could be a step toward sharply reducing the size and strength of the federal government.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:08 am
Florida sounds like a swell place.
It is exactly what you would imagine. Outside of Miami, it is a just deep south.

My first election there had a signs up all over town that said "Vote Right, Vote White" for a judge running for office. I realize his name was something something White, but c'mon! How more blatant could you be?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:16 am
Oooooof. This one is bad. Not only does this ruling strip much of the authority away from the Environmental Protection Agency, making it much harder to deal with climate change in a way that would save life on the planet, but it also serves as a precedent that could be used to strip away authority from many other federal government institutions such as the FDA, USDA, FCC, and so on. This could be a step toward sharply reducing the size and strength of the federal government.

We are so quickly moving back to like 1910 and no federal protection for child labor (Hey kid, you are small and can fit in that machine! Get in there and pull out that junk to get the gears moving again!) or medicine (So what if there is arsenic in our cereal or morphine in our "mother's little helper") or even clean water and air (The smoking section on this airplane is the left side of the cabin in rows 9-23).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Here's another doozy. Clarence Thomas is going full conspiracy theorist here.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If SCOTUS takes this case and rules the wrong way on it, it could be a huge blow to our democracy. Interesting thread.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Supreme Court deals Biden climate agenda serious blow with EPA decision
The Supreme Court Just Made Climate Change More Expensive
Hamstringing the EPA will leave energy efficiency up the states, an inefficient way to handle it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... nge-harder
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:05 am
Here's another doozy. Clarence Thomas is going full conspiracy theorist here.

What in God's name is happening?...
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The Supreme Court has 6 Republicans and 3 Democrats. Republicans can do whatever they want and nobody can stop them. They have completely blown off even pretending to be non partisan now and are ramming through the Republican agenda whether the rest of America wants it or not.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see how to come to any conclusion other than, we're fucked. The Court in this cycle undid about 50 years of slow but steady progress in this country. And even if the Dems get more wins in the House or Senate (which is questionable), the Court can just strike down any laws they try to pass, just as they've done here. I don't see any way out of it, short of packing the Court to the point that the current Justices reduce their power down to almost nothing. But I don't think the Dems will be able to do that. IMO the country is lost.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Uh ... church / state?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't have a problem with any sitting judge praying with anyone. That is their right and is actually part of the freedom of religion guaranteed by the First.

The issue is that they needed to recuse themselves if they are deliberating a case that involves them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Biden is doing nothing on this front. It is so pathetic.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:00 am
I don't have a problem with any sitting judge praying with anyone. That is their right and is actually part of the freedom of religion guaranteed by the First.

The issue is that they needed to recuse themselves if they are deliberating a case that involves them.
You are absolutely right. I do not object to their praying or any particular religious beliefs nor expression thereof. I do object to praying with your pals and then ruling on a case they're involved in, in their favor.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I don't see how to come to any conclusion other than, we're fucked.
Whenever the pendulum swings hard one way, it usually swings back the other way just as far.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Petition calling for Clarence Thomas removal from Supreme Court gets 1M signatures
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... ignatures/

I hate signing these things because you get put on the email list. I did it anyway and will unsubscribe when I get my first spam.
Petition
https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/clare ... as-must-go

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is a lot of signatures, but I never sign those things. I know of zero instances where they have ever had any effect.