January 6 hearings

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Split T

Re: January 6 hearings

Post by Split T »

This might be showing my ignorance, but who exactly will be ruling on the findings in these hearings? What is the end game?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:13 pm
This might be showing my ignorance, but who exactly will be ruling on the findings in these hearings? What is the end game?
Ultimately, the Department of Justice is responsible for determining whether or not to prosecute.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Which is why I think nothing will happen. At least not to the elected people. Honestly, none of them should be allowed to hold public office again.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The loyalty elected Republicans show to Trump is terrifying. If he gets back into office, will he have enough loyalists in Congress to pull off the “Add loyalist microstates to the Union and amend the Constitution to your heart’s content” trick?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:21 pm
Him throwing his food at the wall isn’t illegal. It just demonstrates his anger management problems to the public.

They have focussed on everything. They have done a great job. They hired a tv producer and he has kept it moving nicely. Not much pomp and circumstance. Lots of facts from Trump people. They can’t all be dismissed as partisan hacks. Then again they will be dismissed as partisan hacks by Trump and his cult.
I'm not talking about the committee uncovering these events. I'm frustrated with the media's reporting of it. I saw one headline from a left-leaning site yesterday that said something to the effect of, "Trump strangled a Secret Service agent".

Sensationalizing the truth like that isn't doing anything productive to get to the bottom of his crimes. It just give people a reason to discredit the committee's findings.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I didn’t see that. I saw the aid testify that Trump wanted to go to the Capital to join his people and the Secret Sevice told him it wasn’t secure and that they wouldn’t be going. Trump supposedly got angry and demanded they take him and they said no. He supposedly then reached for the steering wheel and they told him to remove his hand and that’s when he supposedly lunged at an agent with his hand on his clavicle.

I haven’t seen anyone say Trump strangled an agent from the media.

The DOJ has been watching these proceedings and there have been some action on that front.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The most important part of Hutchinson's testimony isn't the part in the "Beast" limo where Trump allegedly grabbed the steering wheel or shoved the agent. The most important part is where he knew the crowd was armed, but still wanted them in his rally, wanted them to come to the Capitol, said "they aren't here to hurt ME," and wanted to go join them. He knowingly sent an armed mob to attack the Capitol and wanted to be part of that mob.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Trump responds to Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony on "News"max. Calls her a "whack job" and makes various insinuations against her. "not good ... won't say exactly why ... not respected by the people" (?)

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Trump can kiss my ass. He is SO predictable. He’s such a total douchbag.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

A show of hands. Who isn’t surprised?

Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearings
https://apnews.com/article/jan-6-hearin ... d084c9f699

During two daytime hearings last week, Fox averaged 727,000 viewers, the Nielsen company said. That compares to the 3.09 million who watched the hearings on MSNBC and the 2.21 million tuned in to CNN?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

My in-laws aren't watching. They think it's all fake, a bunch of stuff made up by Democrats and Hollywood producers. A witch hunt. The committee could probably air footage of Trump murdering people in the park and they'd just say he looked like a cool Rambo and make a donation to his 2024 reelection campaign.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

If I was a die hard Trump fan I would be afraid to watch the hearings too.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 am
If I was a die hard Trump fan I would be afraid to watch the hearings too.
Exactly. The number of people I know that voted for him and say "I just wish he would stop talking" but would still vote for him again is amazing. People want to vote their party ticket and know their team won but don't want to know anything else.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They know he’s an asshole. They also know he picked three SC justices who helped overturn Roe VS Wade just like he promised. He tried to build the wall like he promised. He’s enjoys sticking it to Dems and they love it. They see John Wayne when they see him. They are willing to ignore everything else. They don’t want to believe he made the whole thing up. They believe him when he says it’s just the fake media and disgruntled RINO’s attacking him because they don’t like him.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

My dad and I were grabbing coffee. I started talking about Roe v Wade. He starts going on about how this whole thing is just a way to make sure Republicans don't win the next election. That it's still in the states hands, where it should be, so it's not a problem.

I love my parents so it's really hard seeing them fall so hook line and sinker for Trump. They used to be Democrats and at some point around the time Trump ran for President and during the end of Obama's Presidency just went far right, Fox News daily, very anti Democrat, Trump is the greatest, got our country in top shape, great relations globally, wouldn't have ever let Russia go to war with Ukraine. The list goes on and on and it saddens me. It's also sad hearing the racism that comes out of my dad's mouth sometimes. Any topic he turns it into "the blacks burning their own cities, killing each other, blah blah". I have to look around uncomfortably and try to steer the conversation. Especially when he's seemingly oblivious to other black people and minorities nearby at the coffee shop.

I've been trying to make this a bi weekly occurrence grabbing coffee. I think from now on, I'm just letting him know that we won't be talking politics at all.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If you spend enough time around almost any Republican, you'll eventually hear something deeply racist. Like, how it's BS that white people can't freely use the "N word," or that black people cause crime in their cities, or that Mexican immigrants are bringing in COVID, etc. (They love calling treating other races equally "wokeness," which is the cardinal sin in their eyes.) Not to mention all the anti-LGBT stuff they'll say if you let them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is technically not about the 1/6 hearings, but I didn't want to make a new thread about it (yet?). The state of Georgia is investigating whether to charge Trump or others around him for crimes related to interference in their 2020 election. They have subpoenad Lindsey Graham and Rudy Giuliani for evidence. Graham says that he will refuse to comply:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Throw pretty boy Graham in jail!
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Can you imagine if you were served with a subpoena and you just said publicly that you didn't plan to comply? You would be arrested right then.