World Politics

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Flagrant Fowl

Re: World Politics

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

So the Japanese ex-Prime Minister was very possibly just assassinated while giving a speech. Apparently a guy shot him in the back with a shotgun.

Abe is a controversial figure in Korea (and Japan, I guess) mostly for his nationalistic rhetoric.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

There is no way he survives that. shocking.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Apparently the gun was homemade.

It's a pretty big deal.. sorta like someone going after Bush or Obama.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

He died. Super sad story. Honestly I am surprised that high-profile political assassinations have not occurred recently in the US. It just feels like it's coming.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Chinese researchers develop device they say can test loyalty of ruling party members
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/ ... 31133.html

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:05 am
Chinese researchers develop device they say can test loyalty of ruling party members
I think they call it torture.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

VIDEO: NYC launches nuclear attack preparedness PSA
https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/lo ... edness-psa
NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- New York City launched a nuclear attack preparedness public service announcement on Monday, saying it’s best to be prepared even if such a strike is unlikely.

Highly unlikely but, for the first time that I can remember they are preparing for attack since Putin has been threatening it. We stayed out of WWII and just gave arms to the UK until the other side decided to preemptively attack us.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:56 am
VIDEO: NYC launches nuclear attack preparedness PSA
https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/lo ... edness-psa
NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- New York City launched a nuclear attack preparedness public service announcement on Monday, saying it’s best to be prepared even if such a strike is unlikely.

Highly unlikely but, for the first time that I can remember they are preparing for attack since Putin has been threatening it. We stayed out of WWII and just gave arms to the UK until the other side decided to preemptively attack us.
We were actively involved, just not with soldiers on the ground (mostly it was just soldiers on the water). We had already been using our Navy to protect Canadian and UK forces, and even attacked some German installations in the North Atlantic.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Technically we stayed out of the war until Dec 7. FDR wanted to help and sent surplus arms. America wanted to stay out of it as we do today. I have no doubt there are US military boots on the ground assisting the Ukrainians as we speak, unofficially of course. I would assume our satellites are assisting Ukrainian targeting.

The point I was really trying to make is that NYC is taking Putins threat to annihilate the US with nukes seriously enough to start preparing for it.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:45 am
Nodack wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:05 am
I think they call it torture.
That device was developed thousands of years ago.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:16 am
Technically we stayed out of the war until Dec 7. FDR wanted to help and sent surplus arms. America wanted to stay out of it as we do today. I have no doubt there are US military boots on the ground assisting the Ukrainians as we speak, unofficially of course. I would assume our satellites are assisting Ukrainian targeting.

The point I was really trying to make is that NYC is taking Putins threat to annihilate the US with nukes seriously enough to start preparing for it.
We were firing live ammo at Germans well ahead of Dec 7, even in official capacity. It wasn't dark/secret soldiers, although I am sure that was happening too. It was actually commissioned Navy boats doing the fighting and they weren't hiding it. It just wasn't reported much.

And yeah, I get your point. Sorry to hijack it. I just wanted to share something I learned relatively recently. I know as a kid in history class I was taught we were just sitting idly by, minding our own business, then Japan attacked us out of nowhere. Then when I got into my 20s and read on my own, I found out we were supplying weapons on the down-low and funding a lot of the war effort and blocking supplies to Japan. Then in my 40s I start finding out that we were actually fighting, too. Maybe in 20 years I will find out even more about it...

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

World chess is a dangerous game. FDR wanted to help more and had to deal with a country very much trying to stay out of the war. He had to be creative. Japan convinced America to join the war. Japan was staved for resources and decided to be pro-active.

FDR saw the writing on the wall before that and started the Protective Mobilization Plan. He declared an emergency and started beefing up the armed forces and even had the first pre war draft ever.

A US military article written in 2014 about it if you really want to get geeky with it.
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA613533.pdf

Today we are in a very similar situation. Russia/Germany goes on the offensive and starts taking countries. They are allied with China/Japan and we are trying to stay out of it while sending military aid to Ukraine/UK to combat the threat causing Russia/Germany to threaten us with all out war.

Now all we need is for China to invade Taiwan or launch a preemptive attack on us. Now Japan and Germany are our allies and China and Russia are our nemeses. What a tangled web we weave.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bill Gates gives $20 billion to stem ‘significant suffering’
https://apnews.com/article/covid-techno ... 320fb685aa
Bill Gates, concerned about the “significant suffering” caused by global setbacks including the COVID-19 pandemic, announced Wednesday that he will donate $20 billion to his foundation so it can increase its annual spending.

The Gates Foundation plans to raise its annual budget by 50% over pre-pandemic levels to about $9 billion by 2026. The foundation hopes the increased spending will improve education, reduce poverty and reinstate the global progress toward ending preventable disease and achieving gender equality that has been halted in recent years.

According to the United Nations Development Program, 71 million people have been pushed into poverty since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, mainly due to food and energy price surges. Households in the Balkans, the Caspian Sea region and Sub-Saharan Africa have been hit particularly hard. The U.N. World Food Program reports that the number of acutely hungry people is now 345 million, up 25% since the start of the war in Ukraine.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Is it really giving $20B if you are giving to your own foundation?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I guess it depends on what his foundation does with the money

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pretty embarrassed at this Biden/MBS visit and fist bump. Is it really worth working with butchers and murderers to maybe get a small deal on gas prices?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:33 pm
Pretty embarrassed at this Biden/MBS visit and fist bump. Is it really worth working with butchers and murderers to maybe get a small deal on gas prices?
We have been giving money and weapons to the Saudis for generations. Murdering 1 journalist isn't going to stop that if them funding 9/11 didn't.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Biden has been in crappy situation after crappy situation since he came to office. Of course Republicans give him an F-. He’s polling bad with even Dems. I give him a B. I would like to see him only run once though. Too old. It looks like the Dems are trying to force his hand into not running again and the media seems to be going after him.

In a dream world Biden and Trump aren’t candidates. Newsom has been getting a lot of press lately with his attacks on DeSantis and Florida, making him popular with Dems who want someone capable of putting up a fight with the Republicans.