Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think Deandre Ayton's immediate future is with the Suns?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am

Suns keep him for the duration of the 2022-2023 season
31%
He's on the roster to start the season but is traded mid-season
8%
Suns trade him before the season starts
62%

Total votes: 26

The Bobster

Re: Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by The Bobster »

You don't trade a player with value for pennies on the dollar.

If you do, you're talking about for years, just like Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey and Joe Johnson for Boris Diaw.

Fans never forget.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

A lot of us just value Ayton differently. He’s a quarter that wants to be paid like he’s a dollar. Ya Turner might only be a dime, but at least he’s paid like a dime and you can get a mystery coin with him.

Would I be fine if we ended up bringing Ayton back at quarter wages? I think that most likely screws up our KD trade, but in a vacuum, I’d be fine with it. It just feels like the damage is done. Ayton doesn’t want to be here, he knows we don’t see him how he sees himself, he’s not going to be content to just play a role anymore. Ya we’re probably gonna “lose” the trade from a value standpoint, but that doesn’t mean it’s not the right move. We lost the TJ Warren trade too from a value standpoint. The Cam Johnson pick was a bad one from a value standpoint.

All this to say, I think Ayton needs to go. Both parties will be better off. Get the most you can and hopefully it helps get you KD.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:49 pm
Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:57 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:46 am
What's up with Suns fans being ok with trades that would be akin to us chopping our own balls off? Be a hard ass, match any offer sheet, and go from there.
Doncic 230 lbs
Ayton has 4" and 20 lbs on him...

...who dominated who in the paint in the playoffs? So...max player? Really?
What does Doncic have to do with the decision at hand? We have Ayton, he is an asset, and I don't think he will even get a max offer sheet. Sign him at a below max contract. Don't get a Diaw back for a JJ.
He can't hold his own...he's soft...he's not worth a max contract. You are overpaying at that rate, and it hurts our ability to make adjustments and compete. Is our lineup sufficient without some changes or improvement to compete? I point to the Mavs round 2 series w/us...clearly...no.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:46 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:30 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:20 am
FWIW, I will also be very disappointed if all we get for Ayton is Myles Turner and maybe a draft pick.
I mean you’re expecting nothing, you should be thrilled with Turner and a 1st.
Why should we be thrilled with what would be the worst trade in Suns history?
Yeah not the worst.

carey

Post by carey »

People are placing value on Ayton like he is a #1 pick still oozing potential but we pretty much know what he is now. We also see what kind of Cs are winning chips and getting to the finals. He just isn’t valuable like that anymore. It’s not his fault he wants to be a ball dominant C in a league that’s moving away from that. He showed up two decades too late to be a max or super max guy. Alas…
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

carey wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:58 pm
People are placing value on Ayton like he is a #1 pick still oozing potential but we pretty much know what he is now. We also see what kind of Cs are winning chips and getting to the finals. He just isn’t valuable like that anymore. It’s not his fault he wants to be a ball dominant C in a league that’s moving away from that. He showed up two decades too late to be a max or super max guy. Alas…
Yeah, that was so many years ago that Cs in the mold of Ayton were getting to the Finals…

…oh wait it was only 11.5 months ago that Ayton did it himself.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

"We also see what kind of Cs are winning chips and getting to the finals."

Yes, one of those centers looked a lot like DeAndre Ayton.
Last edited by The Bobster on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Some of the Ayton haters on here are unbelievable! :lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T

Post by Split T »

Please don’t turn us into the Jazz with the screen assist stuff. Aron Baynes set better screens than Ayton, maybe we should have maxed him.

As for the KAT stuff…KAT has literally made as many 3s in one game as Ayton has in a whole season. Let’s not pretend like their shooting is even remotely close to comparable. It would be great for your argument if it was true, but it’s not. Hard to actually have a discussion if we’re just gonna make stuff up.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Some of you guys must be smarter than the entire league since there's exactly one team rumored to be offering Ayton a large contract, and it's not even the max contract that was supposedly on the table from multiple teams according to Bill Duffy.

What are you doing here giving away all of your secrets?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

You don't need a center of Ayton's style or caliber to win the title, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have one. It's disingenuous to say we would have been better off with Kevon Looney or Maxi Kleber. The question is, can you win with one taking up a max slot on your cap if you don't have the Warriors' or Clippers' pocketbooks. Having a cheaper center like Myles Turner is only the answer if you spend the difference on other impact players.

Swapping Ayton for Turner only benefits Robert Sarver.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:57 pm
carey wrote:
Yeah, that was so many years ago that Cs in the mold of Ayton were getting to the Finals…

Yep, people quckly forgot how good Ayton was on the road to the finals last year. But hey, that won`t change anytime soon if DA somehow stays in the Valley, I get the point the fair share of our fans have some vendetta against him, its Shaq or bust for them. If he dont average 30ppg - 15 rpg - 2.5 bpg they wont be satisfied.

Its better for DA to move on from here but I am curious to see reaction on Suns message boards next season when we regularly getting killed on the glass and on the switch. It wont be pretty.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Ahhhh this thread is just....
Yikes man 🤐🤦🏾‍♂️

I don't see it getting any better don't matter what the final transaction is either
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:52 am
Yep, people quckly forgot how good Ayton was on the road to the finals last year. But hey, that won`t change anytime soon if DA somehow stays in the Valley, I get the point the fair share of our fans have some vendetta against him, its Shaq or bust for them. If he dont average 30ppg - 15 rpg - 2.5 bpg they wont be satisfied.

Its better for DA to move on from here but I am curious to see reaction on Suns message boards next season when we regularly getting killed on the glass and on the switch. It wont be pretty.
Apparently, you don't. We just want him to live up to his potential and be consistent. Not too much to ask for somebody that thinks he should get paid the max. He can't even be bothered to get a good night's sleep at the expense of being a legend in NBA2K. He needs to learn to take the real NBA seriously before his salary demands are taken seriously.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

sunset rubdown wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
carey wrote:

The problem with Ayton is he thinks he's the guy in your avatar and wants to be paid like it, but his play doesn't back it up. It's simple really, he doesn't need to put up Shaq numbers, he just needs to show some assertiveness and aggression on the offensive end to show he can be the guy. Its 3 years in and he hasn't done that, he's soft and pushed around by smaller players, boxed out by guards, fumbles easy passes, blows easy and-1 dunks because he'd rather lay it up. He's a very good player, but he's not a max guy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don’t think any of us Ayton haters even care about his box score. Personally I just wanted to see consistency and some aggression. Just dribble a couple times, try and dunk on somebody’s head. Stop having those games where he’s completely invisible on the court. That trick he’d do where he’d find the slowest person on the other team and cover them in transition…that’s my least favorite move of his.

I really think we discovered the reason he had those games so often. Hard to put forth 100% effort when you only slept 2 hours.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:47 pm
Please don’t turn us into the Jazz with the screen assist stuff. Aron Baynes set better screens than Ayton, maybe we should have maxed him.

As for the KAT stuff…KAT has literally made as many 3s in one game as Ayton has in a whole season. Let’s not pretend like their shooting is even remotely close to comparable. It would be great for your argument if it was true, but it’s not. Hard to actually have a discussion if we’re just gonna make stuff up.
Do you have any comment on this video?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

TOO wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:50 am
sunset rubdown wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
carey wrote:

The problem with Ayton is he thinks he's the guy in your avatar and wants to be paid like it, but his play doesn't back it up. It's simple really, he doesn't need to put up Shaq numbers, he just needs to show some assertiveness and aggression on the offensive end to show he can be the guy. Its 3 years in and he hasn't done that, he's soft and pushed around by smaller players, boxed out by guards, fumbles easy passes, blows easy and-1 dunks because he'd rather lay it up. He's a very good player, but he's not a max guy.
You’re right, he’s not Amare. Amare didn’t play defense or rebound.