The GOP / RNC

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Re: The GOP / RNC

Post by Mori Chu »

This ad is pretty amazing, though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:30 pm
The GOP wants to turn America into a Christian autocracy.
We kind of already are. And have been.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL uh oh guys, a new scandal is here.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

One of the last good Republicans. In the whole country.

Indy

Post by Indy »

She supports voting restrictions, keeping out brown people, fucking over the environment, no restrictions on guns, taking away women's rights, and so many more. Just because she adheres to her oath doesn't make her a good person. It is the most basic bar an elected official has to reach.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:37 am
She supports voting restrictions, keeping out brown people, fucking over the environment, no restrictions on guns, taking away women's rights, and so many more. Just because she adheres to her oath doesn't make her a good person. It is the most basic bar an elected official has to reach.
Yeah, I mean, she's no saint. But if every Republican were as good as her, the country would survive and we would have a much more civil and normal politics. The fact that the party is so deeply worse than Liz Cheney is a really damning state of affairs.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Look at these complete assclowns Cheney has to run against for her seat in Wyoming.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

GOP candidates across the country are now officially campaigning on the promise to violate their oath of office.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:40 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:37 am
Yeah, I mean, she's no saint. But if every Republican were as good as her, the country would survive and we would have a much more civil and normal politics. The fact that the party is so deeply worse than Liz Cheney is a really damning state of affairs.
That just isn't true. Restriction on voting helps our country survive?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I am not an expert on Liz Cheney. Her father was VP and pro Iraq war and the whole BS reasons behind it. Obviously she is a Republican and supports all the normal Republican stuff Dems are against but, she seems to be pro US and pro Constitution and anti Trump because of his BS lies he peddles. She and one other Republican are standing up to Trump. They are the ONLY two and have been completely black balled by the Republican party since apposing Trump. That deserves some respect. She put country before party. The rest of the party has put Trump before party and country and are more than willing to destroy America to keep Trump in power.

She was the only candidate on that stage that didn’t come across as a complete uninformed idiot spouting complete nonsense. I feel sorry for Wyoming. I feel sorry for America. Then again we Americans are the dumbasses who keep voting for these dumbasses.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I wonder whether Ron Johnson has set himself up for prosecution.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Having been Stateside for the first time in a while, I am struck by how far the country has degraded over the past 2.5 years. The West Coast is a total cesspool -- progressives like Chesa Boudin have proven that they cannot be trusted to govern. But even that is a sideshow compared to what SCOTUS and the bulk of the Republican Party is doing.

I am in BC now and Canada looks like it is still functioning although cracks are showing here.

Regarding Liz Cheney, it is ok to disagree about policy if you agree on the rules by which policy is set. Her ideas on policy are very conservative (which I am obviously not) but she abides by democratic rules of the game. In this day and age, it makes her a patriot.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:14 am
Having been Stateside for the first time in a while, I am struck by how far the country has degraded over the past 2.5 years. The West Coast is a total cesspool -- progressives like Chesa Boudin have proven that they cannot be trusted to govern. But even that is a sideshow compared to what SCOTUS and the bulk of the Republican Party is doing.

I am in BC now and Canada looks like it is still functioning although cracks are showing here.

Regarding Liz Cheney, it is ok to disagree about policy if you agree on the rules by which policy is set. Her ideas on policy are very conservative (which I am obviously not) but she abides by democratic rules of the game. In this day and age, it makes her a patriot.
I hear what you are saying, and I respect her ability to abide by the rules. But I refuse to call anyone a patriot if they actively try and restrict the rights of human beings and make it harder for them to stay alive.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It has been directly heading this way since SCOTUS awarded the presidency in Bush v Gore, and then really picked up speed with Citizens United.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Maybe we should have an end of the US/world party before the end of the US/ world. So much more fun without all the bullets and radiation. 😎

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

What do you guys think about living in Portugal?
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:57 pm
What do you guys think about living in Portugal?
The language barrier would be tough. My liberal brother and his wife and kids have had it with the GOP and are moving to Germany. Hope it works out for them.

I think I would personally move to Canada if I had a choice. English speaking, beautiful, more resilient to climate change, better politics. I think it'd be a good bet.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I thought about moving to another country. I’ve been to a bunch and some were really nice. None of them are home though. I was born here. This is my country as much as it is anyone else’s. I don’t plan leaving just because the extreme element of one political party has gone power hungry and decided to make America the country they envisioned, whether the rest of the country approves or not. The GOP would probably be happy if all the libs left the country. Just quit on the game at halftime and refuse to go back in because you are down 30? Did the allies quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I’m not going anywhere. I’ve gotten a dozen or so text messages from Republicans candidates in the past few days and my response has been the same on all of them. “Trump tried to steal the election and failed. Then he tried a coup and failed. He’s a traitor to his country. Republicans have stood by him and supported him throughout making them traitors too.” After I send my message responding to their message I block them.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It is a whole lot easier to decide not to leave when you are a straight white middle aged man--none of your rights are under attack or being taken away.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nice AZ GOP candidate we've got here.