2022 Suns Summer League Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2022 Suns Summer League Thread

Post by ShelC »

The Bobster wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:13 pm
I'm not so sure Ish Wainright is and NBA-quality player.
I've gotten that feeling too. He's a football player playing basketball. And with all the basketball players out there and young prospects who can fit into his kind of role, it's weird we seem to be locked in on finding a role/minutes for him.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He's 27 and mostly at Summer League for veteran support. I also think the Suns have a deal ready for him waiting on all the other stuff to wrap up.

He works hard and seems pretty adept at teaching the game. Those guys are valuable so he's always going to be find his way onto a roster. I'm not sure if he's a rotation player and I wasn't expecting Summer League to make or break that status. Maybe if he came out and shot the cover off of the ball, but I think the Suns would pull him if he did that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:56 am
Suns win the revenge game against Dallas.
I now feel that our playoff loss has been fully avenged.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I have not watched the games
Gonna lead with that

My thing is that I wouldn't expect to see Ish with high usage and any crazy numbers from SL. Not like he's gonna be auditioning for the role of someone off the bench who could create off the dribble.

He's gonna be a live body who we need in "spot minutes" to D up and hit open shots when they come as a player who would not get plays run for him. So again I don't know specifically what's bothering y'all from SL but I never expected to be checking Recaps and be like Wow, Ish drop 20+ again... We gotta get him in the rotation! πŸ€·πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈπŸ€·πŸΎβ€β™‚οΈ
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Everyone on here knows me by now, I always prefer young(er) players and be ready to defend them as having something to offer. Some of the vet Centers I see still available that folks are hoping we sign, I get it but maaan can't say I care for any.

Rather just give this dude a spot and see what happens
As usual, fantasy league introduced me to these random dudes and I had Roby so was quite annoyed when the coach decided to start Sarr. He wasn't bad in some of the games I peeped during silly season "post All-Star break"

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Without taking anything away from Sarr, it hurts that we're scrapping around on SL bigs when we handled Stix' situation the way we did.

And with Ish, he is what he is and he's playing the Jae/Mikal role within our offense. But he doesn't really standout in any other areas given his size, strength and athleticism. He's not some defensive menace guarding 3 positions, not a monster rebounder or athletic shotblocker. That's what I look for in those 6-6/6-7 250 widebodies. Jason Maxiell, DeJuan Blair, Trez Harrell, Grant Williams...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

It's unlikely Mac McClung makes the Warriors roster considering how stacked they are. Considering we're still looking for backcourt help I think he's worth bringing in.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I really hope we invite Duop Reath to camp. I think he could be a guy that could give us some effective minutes next to Ayton.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:00 am
The Bobster wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:13 pm
I'm not so sure Ish Wainright is and NBA-quality player.
I've gotten that feeling too. He's a football player playing basketball. And with all the basketball players out there and young prospects who can fit into his kind of role, it's weird we seem to be locked in on finding a role/minutes for him.
Flagrant Fowl wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:32 am
He's 27 and mostly at Summer League for veteran support. I also think the Suns have a deal ready for him waiting on all the other stuff to wrap up.

He works hard and seems pretty adept at teaching the game. Those guys are valuable so he's always going to be find his way onto a roster. I'm not sure if he's a rotation player and I wasn't expecting Summer League to make or break that status. Maybe if he came out and shot the cover off of the ball, but I think the Suns would pull him if he did that.
I thought it was weird that he was even playing in the Summer League, and his performance didn't really help his case. I didn't expect scoring out of him because he isn't that type of player, though his shot continued to look improved. I was disappointed that he didn't make more defensive plays and that his rebounding wasn't better.

I'm ok with having him on the team, but I am also questioning how good he can actually be at the NBA level.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

bajanguy008 wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:13 am
Everyone on here knows me by now, I always prefer young(er) players and be ready to defend them as having something to offer. Some of the vet Centers I see still available that folks are hoping we sign, I get it but maaan can't say I care for any.

Rather just give this dude a spot and see what happens
As usual, fantasy league introduced me to these random dudes and I had Roby so was quite annoyed when the coach decided to start Sarr. He wasn't bad in some of the games I peeped during silly season "post All-Star break"

I will be annoyed if we don't sign Sarr.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:23 pm
I really hope we invite Duop Reath to camp. I think he could be a guy that could give us some effective minutes next to Ayton.
I didn't see it. Sarr was the only NBA level player (besides Ish) on that team. Louis King had some moments where he looked like he could help a team (a poor man's Will Barton), but I prefer a guy like Justin Jackson.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Curious if anyone knows this, but does having a player on your summer league roster give your team any right of first refusal on a contract offer? Meaning, if some free agent on the Bucks summer league team just looked amazing, what's stopping another team from going out and offering that player a guaranteed deal on the spot?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote: ↑
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:38 pm
I didn't see it. Sarr was the only NBA level player (besides Ish) on that team. Louis King had some moments where he looked like he could help a team (a poor man's Will Barton), but I prefer a guy like Justin Jackson.
It's scary to see Justin Jackson still struggle with consistency at his age in SUMMER LEAGUE! He has the measurables but that 2/10 3-point performance he followed his breakout game with was a perfect example of why he can't stick with a team. If he could be more consistent, he would be perfect for this team.

Reath has the mobility and range to play in the league, and the motor. I like his activity and his ability to put the ball on the floor and execute some pretty impressive moves.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:40 pm
Curious if anyone knows this, but does having a player on your summer league roster give your team any right of first refusal on a contract offer? Meaning, if some free agent on the Bucks summer league team just looked amazing, what's stopping another team from going out and offering that player a guaranteed deal on the spot?
No, it doesn't.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:43 pm
It's scary to see Justin Jackson still struggle with consistency at his age in SUMMER LEAGUE! He has the measurables but that 2/10 3-point performance he followed his breakout game with was a perfect example of why he can't stick with a team. If he could be more consistent, he would be perfect for this team.

Reath has the mobility and range to play in the league, and the motor. I like his activity and his ability to put the ball on the floor and execute some pretty impressive moves.
I thought the skills looked nice, but I didn't see the mobility part of it. He looked like a Euroleague-level athlete.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

King had the NBA length and athleticism, but was severely lacking in the skill side of the game. Flashes, but looked like fool's gold, and nothing like Will Barton, imo.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass