Ayton agrees to offer sheet with Indiana

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Ayton agrees to offer sheet with Indiana

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:41 pm
I wish Ayton had prime Dwight's mentality. He was so good.
Just saw this recently…I’m not sure there’s a player who’s overall reputation is so drastically different from how good they were in their prime. Part of it is because he’s played so long as a meh player, but he was a legitimate top 5 guy and mvp candidate for 5 years.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I would still love to sign Howard as our backup center, but instead we're stuck with guys like Biyombo and Landale.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Biyombo is our 3rd string C at this point. Saric would be the backup. We need a stretch 5 I think. I don’t really have any interest in Dwight. If we lose Saric in a KD deal, I’m fine just rolling with Biyombo and Landale. It’s not ideal, but having KD makes up for it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Chuck is probably the only one that would challenge Ayton's FG% with the same mix of <3 feet shots vs >10 feet. The data only goes back to 96 so I can't see his first 4 years like this stat compares.

Shaq's career had less than 8% of his shots outside 10 feet. And 51% were at the rim (<3 feet).

Dwight is <7% outside 10 feet and 69% at the rim (but has several seasons 4 seasons over 65% and one nearly 80%!

Ayton is only at 69% of his shots at <10 feet and only 45% at the rim.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Chuck's percentage dropped quite a bit when he fell in love with the 3-point shot and as he got older.

And Artis Gilmore (.559 in the ABA) really cranked up his FG% as he got older and started shooting less.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:49 pm
Chuck's percentage dropped quite a bit when he fell in love with the 3-point shot and as he got older.

And Artis Gilmore (.559 in the ABA) really cranked up his FG% as he got older and started shooting less.
I don't know how long ago I came across the statistics, but I'm pretty sure Charles Barkley has one of the worst 3-point field goal percentages per minimum of 2000 attempts or so.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Barkley did have an awful 3pt%, still an incredible TS%, especially for his time. One of the few guys who actually shot too many 3s back then.

BlaCkAdDa

Post by BlaCkAdDa »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:08 pm
Just saw this recently…I’m not sure there’s a player who’s overall reputation is so drastically different from how good they were in their prime. Part of it is because he’s played so long as a meh player, but he was a legitimate top 5 guy and mvp candidate for 5 years.
I never really got why he sort of just fell off a cliff? ... did he get injured or just lose athleticisim?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

At the end in Orlando he became something of a drama queen and a punch line, then the trade to LA and then Houston and he was putting up good, but not great numbers. It's now been a full 10 years since he got an MVP vote and he hasn't been a starter for the whole year since 2017-18.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:35 pm
The Bobster wrote:

I don't know how long ago I came across the statistics, but I'm pretty sure Charles Barkley has one of the worst 3-point field goal percentages per minimum of 2000 attempts or so.
If you make the minimum 2000 attempts, Charles is the ONLY player ever with less than 27% 3FG%. Actually, he is the only player under 28%, and 29% and 30%. The next closest is Russell Westbrook at 30.5% (but he has over 3700 attempts whereas Chuck has 2020).

Chuck had ridiculous confidence, because you can't find another guy to ever play that had such a low percentage and even took 1000 threes.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:14 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

If you make the minimum 2000 attempts, Charles is the ONLY player ever with less than 27% 3FG%. Actually, he is the only player under 28%, and 29% and 30%. The next closest is Russell Westbrook at 30.5% (but he has over 3700 attempts whereas Chuck has 2020).

Chuck had ridiculous confidence, because you can't find another guy to ever play that had such a low percentage and even took 1000 threes.
I bet Westbrook has the most off of the side of the backboard.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:58 pm
Split T wrote:
I never really got why he sort of just fell off a cliff? ... did he get injured or just lose athleticisim?
Not really sure…it was weird because his downward trend started at like 27, right when he should be in his prime.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:01 pm
BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:58 pm
Split T wrote:
Not really sure…it was weird because his downward trend started at like 27, right when he should be in his prime.
He had some pretty significant back issues.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Yeah, the back injuries were pretty serious and took away a lot of his foot speed and bounce. It also didn't help that it happened right when the league went heavy into space and pace. He wasn't going to get a bunch of post opportunities and he couldn't be much of a vertical spacer anymore with the back trouble.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That makes sense, I didn’t remember his back issues

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

The thing with Chuck was he was a killer...he made shots he had to make...

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:52 am
Indy wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

The thing with Chuck was he was a killer...he made shots he had to make...
Part of his championship pedigree.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:43 pm
Yeah, the back injuries were pretty serious and took away a lot of his foot speed and bounce. It also didn't help that it happened right when the league went heavy into space and pace. He wasn't going to get a bunch of post opportunities and he couldn't be much of a vertical spacer anymore with the back trouble.
This is why I would worry about a Simmons trade.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:23 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
He's also Charmin soft upstairs and has no respect from anyone that plays in the NBA.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:16 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:23 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
He's also Charmin soft upstairs and has no respect from anyone that plays in the NBA.
Well, yes. That too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass