Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Drewsprocket

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Drewsprocket »

I’m equally open to Ayton being beloved or disliked. Let’s make room for the both sides of fans on Ayton Island or Hayton Isle ——at least until he comes out and embraces his fans, his coach, and teammates.
JJ and Monty seem like big enough men to make some promises to make him happy. I think giving him room to grow as a scorer during the regular season only helps Book, CP3, (hopefully KD). But they need to be real about his development. He can’t rely on being assisted all the time and better learn to get his shot up faster and dribble without some wing poking the ball out of his hands. Is it too late to add a bonus to his contract that pays him $$ for getting to the line?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:09 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:08 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:43 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:34 pm
We can’t go more than two days after he’s signed before talking about trading him again? You people are so eager to get rid of him, it’s nuts. :roll:
What do you mean you people?
“You people” = Ayton haters = majority of the posters on this forum
I think you're wrong about that. Unless you mean anybody that doesn't think he's perfect. You probably think I'm a Ayton hater for example but I'm not. Do I want him to take his craft seriously and get a minimum of eight hours of sleep a night, be more aggressive, be more consistent, and draw more fouls? Yes. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a lot of what he brings to the team or like him as a person.
THIS.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:18 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:47 pm
Not everyone is on Ayton fantasy island where everything is the fault of someone else.

IIRC, it was Ayton who was in his feelings about not getting the contract he wanted and then refusing to go back into a playoff game.
He never refused to go back into a playoff game. That’s revisionist history that keeps getting repeated.
My fault. He was asked if he wanted to go back in the game and declined, so he quit.
I honestly wouldn't have gone back in, either. The game was completely out of hand and it was clear we were going to lose and the season would be over. He was a FA hoping to get a contract. You don't play in meaningless minutes (at that point) and run the risk of not getting paid.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I am so glad we didn’t let him just walk for nothing, but don’t for a second think he’s worth a max. I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him for the right deal Jan 15 if he comes out and is the same player

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:17 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:09 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:47 pm
Not everyone is on Ayton fantasy island where everything is the fault of someone else.

IIRC, it was Ayton who was in his feelings about not getting the contract he wanted and then refusing to go back into a playoff game.
He never refused to go back into a playoff game. That’s revisionist history that keeps getting repeated.
It was pretty widely reported…why do you think he didn’t?
He was not asked to go back in. And he was not asked if he wanted to go back in (at any particular point). As he was taking him out of the game, Monty asked if he wanted to play anymore and he said no. That's what I recall being reported when it happened (and I think whoever reported it was implying that Monty didn't think DA was acting like he wanted to be out there on the court [probably mainly that one closeout situation] before taking him out and asking him that). Since then people seem to have twisted it.
Last edited by JeremyG on Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:20 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:02 pm
JeremyG wrote:
We can’t go more than two days after he’s signed before talking about trading him again? You people are so eager to get rid of him, it’s nuts. :roll:
I think we’re just saying everything isn’t all resolved. I wasn’t calling for a trade, just that I think there’s stuff that will need to be worked out. I think there’s gonna be some tension between Ayton and others in the organization.
Thank you.

Most of my posts about roster management are through what I perceive to be the Suns (Jones/Monty) intentions. Pointing out the lingering issues isn't being an Ayton hater, it's living in reality.
I think it's quite possible that:

1. Jones loves Ayton and wants him to stay with the Suns the rest of his career.

2. Monty does not like Ayton and preferred he leave the Suns.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
I think you're wrong about that. Unless you mean anybody that doesn't think he's perfect. You probably think I'm a Ayton hater for example but I'm not. Do I want him to take his craft seriously and get a minimum of eight hours of sleep a night, be more aggressive, be more consistent, and draw more fouls? Yes. But that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a lot of what he brings to the team or like him as a person.
By "Ayton haters" I just mean anyone who didn't want us to keep him (at whatever price it took) or who wants him to be traded.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:59 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
By "Ayton haters" I just mean anyone who didn't want us to keep him (at whatever price it took) or who wants him to be traded.
Wow. interesting definition of hater.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Haha it's easier than saying, "those who place a low value on Ayton."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:55 pm
So maybe we shouldn't take what he says as fact, if his facts contradict themselves?
Okay, so I finally listened to Flex’s podcast and it all makes sense if you listen to it in context.

He says that the Suns preferred keeping Bridges and trading Ayton for KD. But they were prepared for this scenario and are very happy with a lineup of Paul/Booker/Durant/Ayton. They did not want to lose both Ayton and Bridges (I guess that would have been the “gutting the team” scenario Gambo said they weren’t willing to do). So now that they’ve resigned Ayton, it actually makes the KD trade less complicated, more straightforward, and the Suns actually feel better about it now than before. They are in a better position of strength now, because they have a 64 win team under contract as their leverage with Brooklyn.

Now that they have resigned Ayton, they are completely willing to trade Bridges if they need to, but they have not offered Brooklyn their best offer yet. It’s basically at “call us when you’re actually ready to deal KD.” He also said he’s been told that Sarver is willing to spend up to $90-$100 million in luxury tax, confirming Gambo’s report.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:46 am
But that isn't it, either. Nobody is saying Ayton is worth a low value. Many of us that you call Ayton haters said we would have signed him last season, and we said we would have LOVED to get him for 100M. But you seem to consider anything less than a max "low value" for him.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:05 am
JeremyG wrote:
But that isn't it, either. Nobody is saying Ayton is worth a low value. Many of us that you call Ayton haters said we would have signed him last season, and we said we would have LOVED to get him for 100M. But you seem to consider anything less than a max "low value" for him.
You're pissing in the wind bud.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

TOO wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 am
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
As long as it isn't blowing at me!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I always figured being a hater was the same as schadenfreude - "pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune"

But some people feel that if you don't back someone 100%, you're a hater.

If you celebrate the misfortune (real or imagined) of Ben Simmons, you're a hater.
If you don't want Ben Simmons on your team because you think his lack of shooting and attitude are a detriment, no, you're not a hater.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:44 am
TOO wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:22 am
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
As long as it isn't blowing at me!
Yeah big difference between "in the wind" and "into the wind". The first one is directionless. I assume Indy is peeing on all of us. ;) On the other hand, there is a whole lot of hot wind coming from all of us so we could safe.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is your cue, Jeremy. :wink:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Where's Sarver in the middle of it in a party atmosphere like when Book signed his extension? Seems pretty subdued.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:50 pm

Cue for what? To complain about no fancy dinner party in Vegas? :P

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:30 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:50 pm

Cue for what? To complain about no fancy dinner party in Vegas? :P
You handled it right. Deserves its own thread.
"Be Legendary."