Deandre Ayton signs max contract with Suns

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
JeremyG

Re: Deandre Ayton signs max contract with Suns

Post by JeremyG »

Dave King knew exactly what was up. See the last 3 minutes of this podcast, starting at 1:13:45:

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:55 pm
Dave King knew exactly what was up.
Well, not exactly. He thought he could be traded starting December 15th. Also, he needs to invest in a better computer, camera, and internet connection.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Dave King sucks. Nothing about Ayton, he just sucks at his job.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Ayton is probably a bit miffed at how the FA process turned out. But I suspect it'll all be water under the bridge once next season starts. If he continues to grow and improve, it'll be a great contract. If not, we can trade him mid season or next summer. We'll be fine, and so will he.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think DA's free agency process was pretty cut and dry and probably business as usual in terms of RFA. On the outside, we read/heard all the noise -from not getting the extension last year all the way to the final game of the season and then everything swirling around a potential KD trade; but this was always the most likely scenario (KD trade notwithstanding) and Duffy probably told DA as much.

It was Duffy's job to secure a max offer sheet from just 1 team after DA wasn't extended last year. That's all he needed to do and he did it. If he didn't get that max offer, the Suns are totally in the driver's seat and can offer any lower amount on a contract. The Pacers played ball (no pun intended), probably knowing they weren't getting DA - and both sides played the game ("they view him as a cornerstone piece", "he wants to play with Hali", blah blah blah). Teams have done this in the past to help out agents and get a guy a certain contract. And while the Suns could've offered this deal last year, Duffy likely played this out so it didn't look like he was "settling" on a lesser deal (which is risky if DA gets hurt and could set a bad precedent for future RFAs). Maybe he thought DA would have a monster year and get a 5 yr max if the Suns won a title, but that was probably unlikely.

So DA got his money, I do think everyone's moved on and moved forward for now and there aren't any hard feelings. Doesn't mean DA won't be mentioned in trade rumors in the future or get moved down the line. But the core is still in tact, we're better with him than without him, and we can move on with the offseason and either tweak the roster or hit the ground running with the same group to start the season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

But Indy had to cut players/stretch them to clear 4.7M in space. You don't do that just because. They either thought they were getting DA, or Duffy made them some promises about Turner or future FA clients.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

carey wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:46 pm
Ol' Bob is looking old as shit.
He looks like he’s been through a grueling investigation.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He definitely looks older than 60.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:54 am
But Indy had to cut players/stretch them to clear 4.7M in space. You don't do that just because. They either thought they were getting DA, or Duffy made them some promises about Turner or future FA clients.
3 of them were guys who were thrown in from Boston. Clearing the space was easy enough and it was probably on a make good from Duffy.

On Sarver...the fact that he's there and in the photos probably suggests he's not in any danger of being forced out?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Or the league just hasn’t done anything yet

Indy

Post by Indy »

He might want to soak up as much good will before he is thrown out.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

"I'm happy for Deandre just because I know this is what he wanted. He wants to be in that class of players that's regarded in this way."

Someone needs to get him a shirt that says, "I may not play like them, but I sure get paid like them."
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

"We had a bad day."

Monty kills me with this Game 7 stuff.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:55 am
"We had a bad day."

Monty kills me with this Game 7 stuff.
What should he say that wouldn't kill you?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Say anything that doesn't betray a lack of self-awareness.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:54 pm
Say anything that doesn't betray a lack of self-awareness.
You don't think he criticizes himself for the choices he made during the playoffs? Or you just want him to publicly say "I screwed up?"

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It's not about him. It's about the team. Like Sauce said in the other thread: it's more than just Game 7. It wasn't "just a bad." They shouldn't have been pushed to 7 by Dallas; they shouldn't have been pushed to 6 by the Pelicans. And in back to back years, they've surrendered a 2-0 series lead. There's the "holistic" view.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It reminds me of losing the Houston series in back to back yrs after the Suns went to the Finals.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:35 pm
It's not about him. It's about the team. Like Sauce said in the other thread: it's more than just Game 7. It wasn't "just a bad." They shouldn't have been pushed to 7 by Dallas; they shouldn't have been pushed to 6 by the Pelicans. And in back to back years, they've surrendered a 2-0 series lead. There's the "holistic" view.
Their best player was out for 3.5 of the 6 games and didn't look right when he did come back.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:43 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:35 pm
Their best player was out for 3.5 of the 6 games and didn't look right when he did come back.
He had games of 35, 30, and 28 against Dallas. I wouldn't play the "Booker was coming off injury" card.