Suns 2022 Off-Season Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns Off-Season Thread

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:20 pm
Jenner Booker are back baby! She was probably just waiting for him to sign the max and it be official.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1338503/ke ... nciliation
She said go out there and make some more money and then maybe we'll talk.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:45 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:00 pm

Doesn’t look like his shot is worth more than when he has wide open looks. Maybe 2-3 3pt attempts per game. That thing doesn’t look fluid enough to get up if defended. Honestly teams will probably give him the whole year to let if fly of open. If they ever stay up on him, does he have the handle to blow by a defender?
That video is from March 2021. His shot has improved a lot since then.
Perhaps a bit. But…still got a ways to go. I hope he’s getting tons of work in.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:47 pm
Wtf. C’mon. Should be owner malpractice right there. No owner should be allowed to have that sort of unprofessional behavior. This degrades the sport. There is no shortage of people who want to be owners. This doesn’t even include being a racist, misogynistic pos.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I still believe it was Sarver refusing to extend Ayton last summer. Jones seems to want to keep him around. They achieved their goal: keeping him at a discounted price. But it's impossible for that to not affect the relationship at all, with Ayton knowing he earned a max extension last summer with the Finals run and then they wait to get him for the lowest price possible instead of giving him the respect he had earned and showing their commitment to him. It may have even hurt the team chemistry in the playoffs. Sarver really knows how to screw up a championship contender.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't think it was Sarver. I think it was exactly what Jones said. They were happy to pay him the max, just not the DRME because it limits their ability to construct a roster.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:58 am
I don't think it was Sarver. I think it was exactly what Jones said. They were happy to pay him the max, just not the DRME because it limits their ability to construct a roster.
I agree with this. Just look at the complications it's causing for Brooklyn right now.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Then why didn't they offer the 4-year max on June 30?

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:06 am
Indy wrote:
At that point there is no need to. Ayton's camp has said very publicly that there were numerous teams ready to give him the max contract on day 1. Why give him that extra 3% compounded per year if you don't have to?

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think they also would have definitely included Ayton in a KD deal if they could have. Offering him a Max wouldn’t have allowed for that

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:15 am
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
At that point there is no need to. Ayton's camp has said very publicly that there were numerous teams ready to give him the max contract on day 1. Why give him that extra 3% compounded per year if you don't have to?
Then why offer it the year before?

Using that logic, why ever extend an upcoming RFA a year early? Why did they give Book the max in 2018, when they could have waited until 2019 and kept him for a discount through the RFA process?

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:58 am
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

Using that logic, why ever extend an upcoming RFA a year early? Why did they give Book the max in 2018, when they could have waited until 2019 and kept him for a discount through the RFA process?
They wanted to see if the market allowed them to pay less than the max. They negotiated with Ayton without negotiating.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Indy wrote:

The answer for Book specifically is because Book is the best player on the team, their best player chance at a great "Forever Sun" and nobody ever had to question his work ethic or focus during games.

To your first question, it was to get the deal done before any feelings got hurt and we could lock up an asset. But it clearly went south when Duffy said he wouldn't even hear offers of less than a 5 year full max.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Things have come to a crawl
Both on social media and the forum tbh :oops: as just going around in circles with certain discussions

Good to see that the national media still does this thing where the majority of stories is Why someone should be leaving or not going Phx. It's such a weird thing to do every season 🤦🏾‍♂️

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Because Booker is a star.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:49 am
But it's impossible for that to not affect the relationship at all, with Ayton knowing he earned a max extension last summer with the Finals run
I wish we had continued to see the "Finals run" Ayton in the 21-22 season...
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:17 pm
Things have come to a crawl
Both on social media and the forum tbh :oops: as just going around in circles with certain discussions

Good to see that the national media still does this thing where the majority of stories is Why someone should be leaving or not going Phx. It's such a weird thing to do every season 🤦🏾‍♂️

I didn't know that a "scenario" could have a mind and a will. I'm guessing that instead of "could want to make Suns star leave" they meant "could make Suns star want to leave." Any hint of journalistic standards is pretty much gone these days. :roll:

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Not a good sign for a change of ownership.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:00 am
Interesting. Continuity is JJs favorite thing.

This didn't seem necessary tbh.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.