Monkeypox

Political discussion here. Any reasonable opinion is welcome, but due to the sensitive nature of the topic area, please be nice and respectful to others. No flaming or trolling, please. And please keep political commentary out of the other board areas and confine it to this area. Thanks!
Mori Chu

Monkeypox

Post by Mori Chu »

Well, I think it's time for a thread about the ol' monkeypox. Here we go again.

I still haven't read very much about it. For example, I don't know:

- Can you die from it?
- How easily does it spread? Through what activities (non-sexual)?
- How can you prevent or treat it? I think you can take a smallpox vaccine for it, right?

Superbone

Re: Monkeypox

Post by Superbone »

I know one thing. As soon as I heard about it, I stopped having sex with monkeys cold turkey. I'm smart that way.
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

They don’t call you SuperBone for nothing.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Here is the CDC itself on it.

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/ ... index.html
Monkeypox is a rare disease caused by the monkeypox virus.
Monkeypox can cause a rash which may look like pimples or blisters, sometimes with a flu-like illness.
Monkeypox can spread to anyone through close, personal, often skin-to-skin contact including:
Direct contact with monkeypox rash, scabs, or body fluids from a person with monkeypox.
Touching objects, fabrics (clothing, bedding, or towels), and surfaces that have been used by someone with monkeypox.
Contact with respiratory secretions.

This contact can happen during intimate contact including:
Oral, anal, and vaginal sex or touching the genitals (penis, testicles, labia, and vagina) or anus (butthole) of a person with monkeypox.
Hugging, massage, and kissing.
Prolonged face-to-face contact.
Touching fabrics and objects during sex that were used by a person with monkeypox and that have not been disinfected, such as bedding, towels, and sex toys.
Having multiple or anonymous sex partners may increase your chances for exposure to monkeypox. Limiting your number of sex partners may reduce the possibility of exposure.
We are trying to better understand if virus could be present in semen, vaginal fluids, or other body fluids.

What Are the Symptoms?
illustration of 5 symptoms. fever, headache, backache, chills, rash
You may experience all or only a few of the symptoms of monkeypox.
Most people with monkeypox will get a rash.
Some people have developed a rash before (or without) flu-like symptoms.
Monkeypox symptoms usually start within 3 weeks of exposure to the virus.
The flu-like symptoms may include fever, headache, muscle aches and backache, sore throat, cough, swollen lymph nodes, chills, or exhaustion.
If someone has flu-like symptoms, they will usually develop a rash 1-4 days later.
The rash may be located on or near the genitals or anus but could also be on other areas like the hands, feet, chest, or face.
The rash will go through several stages, including scabs, before healing.
The rash can look like pimples or blisters and may be painful or itchy.
The rash may also be inside the body, including the mouth, vagina, or anus.
Monkeypox can be spread from the time symptoms start until the rash has healed, all scabs have fallen off, and a fresh layer of skin has formed. This can take several weeks.

The rash may be located on or near the genitals or anus.

The rash may also be inside the body, including the mouth, vagina, or anus.

https://www.thecut.com/2022/07/the-monk ... re-on.html
One friend of a friend apparently developed the pox’s trademark lesions inside his penis, requiring him to be catheterized.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Considerations for Monkeypox Vaccination
https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/ ... ation.html
What You Need to Know
Two vaccines licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are available for preventing monkeypox infection – JYNNEOS (also known as Imvamune or Imvanex) and ACAM2000.
In the United States, there is currently a limited supply of JYNNEOS, although more is expected in coming weeks and months.
There is an ample supply of ACAM2000. However, this vaccine should not be used in people who have some health conditions, including a weakened immune system, skin conditions like atopic dermatitis/eczema, or pregnancy.
No data are available yet on the effectiveness of these vaccines in the current outbreak.
People are considered fully vaccinated about 2 weeks after their second shot of JYNNEOS and 4 weeks after receiving ACAM2000. However, people who get vaccinated should continue to take steps to protect themselves from infection by avoiding close, skin-to-skin contact, including intimate contact, with someone who has monkeypox.
To better understand the protective benefits of these vaccines in the current outbreak, CDC will collect data on any side effects and whether the way the person was infected makes any difference in how well the vaccine protects them.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:41 am
I know one thing. As soon as I heard about it, I stopped having sex with monkeys cold turkey. I'm smart that way.
Yeah, but how long can you realistically keep that up?!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:59 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:41 am
Yeah, but how long can you realistically keep that up?!
You make a good point. The temptation is always there. I’m only human.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thread.