Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:34 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:31 pm
Al Sharpton pressures NBA to end Sarver investigation, bring home Griner
https://arizonasports.com/story/3227012 ... me-griner/
“Enough is enough. I was patient when the NBA told me the Sarver investigation would be wrapped up by April; but April came and went. Then they told me in June to wait a few more weeks; but June came and went. It is now (almost) August, and not only is there no end in sight on the Sarver investigation, but the league has also failed to step up to help bring Brittney home. My patience has run out. I am calling on the NBA to help us bring Brittney home, wrap this investigation up and send a message that Robert Sarver and his hateful behavior have no place in this organization.”
What’s the league supposed to do about Griner? Send a team of commandos to bust her out? What kind of leverage over Putin does Sharpton think they have?
I don't think he thinks they have leverage. But he hasn't seen anything saying that Silver has even called to inquire about helping.

SunsRIt

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by SunsRIt »

Cap wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:34 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:31 pm
Al Sharpton pressures NBA to end Sarver investigation, bring home Griner
https://arizonasports.com/story/3227012 ... me-griner/
“Enough is enough. I was patient when the NBA told me the Sarver investigation would be wrapped up by April; but April came and went. Then they told me in June to wait a few more weeks; but June came and went. It is now (almost) August, and not only is there no end in sight on the Sarver investigation, but the league has also failed to step up to help bring Brittney home. My patience has run out. I am calling on the NBA to help us bring Brittney home, wrap this investigation up and send a message that Robert Sarver and his hateful behavior have no place in this organization.”
What’s the league supposed to do about Griner? Send a team of commandos to bust her out? What kind of leverage over Putin does Sharpton think they have?
I didn’t realize the world worked on Al Sharpton’s time. 🙄

Indy

Post by Indy »

The managing partner of the team didn't bother to even reach out and say hi? An owner known for micromanaging?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

He's working on it, Indy. Been in a 12 step program and everything.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:30 am
The managing partner of the team didn't bother to even reach out and say hi? An owner known for micromanaging?
She is not saying that, she is talking about decision making and day-to-day operation, and that could be true as a consequence of the investigation. Sarver was there for Ayton's signing, but just for the picture, he didn't take questions (knowingly what they would be about, granted) and probably he has been on the doghouse for a while, trying to scape punishment.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:19 am
Indy wrote:
She is not saying that, she is talking about decision making and day-to-day operation, and that could be true as a consequence of the investigation. Sarver was there for Ayton's signing, but just for the picture, he didn't take questions (knowingly what they would be about, granted) and probably he has been on the doghouse for a while, trying to scape punishment.
The direct question was "Have you met with Sarver?" and her answer was a direct "No." That is either a great sign he is on the way out, or another sign that he should be on the way out. How do you not meet with your assistant GM, especially one breaking down barriers?

You should be extremely proud to have her on your staff, and she is just 2 layers down from you.

I probably have more people in my reporting line than Sarver does in the Suns and I can't imagine having one of my direct reports hiring a new person and me not meeting with them regularly, much less 1 time.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

From the actual interview -

https://andscape.com/features/its-so-mu ... nt-office/

"Have you met with Sarver?

No, he has not been part of this discussion, these decisions. From what I understand, James runs his house. So, from an oversight, he’s there, but James and Monty, they handle basketball. Sarver is not in the day-to-day operations. And I believe, from what I understand so far, he let them do their work."

It sounds more to me like Sarver has become less involved in the day-to-day operation of the club in regards to what takes place on the court.

And wouldn't that news be universally applauded here if that's the case?
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:11 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
The direct question was "Have you met with Sarver?" and her answer was a direct "No." That is either a great sign he is on the way out, or another sign that he should be on the way out. How do you not meet with your assistant GM, especially one breaking down barriers?

You should be extremely proud to have her on your staff, and she is just 2 layers down from you.

I probably have more people in my reporting line than Sarver does in the Suns and I can't imagine having one of my direct reports hiring a new person and me not meeting with them regularly, much less 1 time.
Really hope this means he’s on his way out

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:11 pm
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:

To me, she kind of deflects the question, probably to avoid a follow up question regarding anything about him, and probably was a rehearsed one as well. Like that other guy coming out, both situations have a big component of PR, trying to show a nice angle of the organization. Without Sarver.

Does it mean he is on the way out? I don't see it that way as clear as you, looks more like damage control along the lines of:

+Are you going to work for THAT guy?
-Actually, he is barely involved on the day to day operation, I haven't met with him to discuss anything.

This tune helps with the media, recruiting personnel on and off the court, and in general, to cast some kind of shadow on him, taking him out of the spotlight. It could be his punishment already applied, like those "meditation retirements" the church cast on their fishy priests. Ostracism in exchange of impunity.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I get what you are saying, and it could be true. That just isn't what was asked and answered.

Nodack

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as own

Post by Nodack »

Brittney comes home when Putin says so. He doesn’t care about her or her smoking pot. She is a pawn at this point and we are in a proxy war with Russia. There is nothing anyone can do other than Biden giving Putin a Russian pawn we have incarcerated in exchange. Maybe the WNBA could make a statement criticizing the US and denouncing America’s involvement in the war and that might sway Putin. Other than that she is on her own IMO.

The Sarver investigation has been going on a long time and we are right where we were the day it started. Sarver was convicted in the court of public opinion the day after it started but, a year later and still no results from the official investigation. As my aunt used to say, “Shit or get off the pot!”

The NBA hired the Wachtell Lipton law firm to investigate.

https://www.wlrk.com/
Their Recent Matters page is filled with corporate acquisitions and that’s it.

Prologis in its $26 billion all-stock acquisition of Duke Realty
Broadcom in its $69 billion acquisition of VMware
Black Knight in its $16 billion acquisition by Intercontinental Exchange
Nielsen in its $16 billion acquisition by a consortium led by Elliott and Brookfield

Clicking on the more page gives you 25 more pages of acquisitions. It seems odd to hire this law firm as the investigators into Sarver. They seem to do corporate acquisitions and that’s it.

Indy

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as own

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:08 am
Brittney comes home when Putin says so. He doesn’t care about her or her smoking pot. She is a pawn at this point and we are in a proxy war with Russia. There is nothing anyone can do other than Biden giving Putin a Russian pawn we have incarcerated in exchange. Maybe the WNBA could make a statement criticizing the US and denouncing America’s involvement in the war and that might sway Putin. Other than that she is on her own IMO.

The Sarver investigation has been going on a long time and we are right where we were the day it started. Sarver was convicted in the court of public opinion the day after it started but, a year later and still no results from the official investigation. As my aunt used to say, “Shit or get off the pot!”

The NBA hired the Wachtell Lipton law firm to investigate.

https://www.wlrk.com/
Their Recent Matters page is filled with corporate acquisitions and that’s it.

Prologis in its $26 billion all-stock acquisition of Duke Realty
Broadcom in its $69 billion acquisition of VMware
Black Knight in its $16 billion acquisition by Intercontinental Exchange
Nielsen in its $16 billion acquisition by a consortium led by Elliott and Brookfield

Clicking on the more page gives you 25 more pages of acquisitions. It seems odd to hire this law firm as the investigators into Sarver. They seem to do corporate acquisitions and that’s it.
I don't know this law firm very well, but that isn't surprising to me.

Corporate acquisitions are public things. You do press releases for them. But investigations into workplace issues like racism and misogyny are not things you typically highlight.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Wachtell Lipton is the law firm that the NBA always uses for investigations.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I hope no American ever agrees to play for a Russian basketball team ever again.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:57 pm
I hope no American ever agrees to play for a Russian basketball team ever again.
Kind of hard to support themselves on WNBA money.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:16 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:57 pm
Kind of hard to support themselves on WNBA money.
No amount of money is worth it for what Griner is going through.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

The average WNBA salary is $120,648, minimum salary is $60,471 for a 36-game regular season (basically May-August). According to Spotrac.com there are 15 players making over $200,000 in the WNBA this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/wnba/rankings/

The most popular countries overseas for women are Russia, Turkey, Australia, China and France because the top players can make up to 4 times the salary they make in the WNBA.

Still, $60,000 to $120,000 for four to five months work isn't horrible. And I can see why they play overseas, but you can't travel around the world and ignore the laws of the country you're playing in. It falls somewhere among ignorant/stupid/arrogant to think United States law applies everywhere.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

But you only get 4-5 years on average to make your money. You do what you can.

Agreed about the laws in the country you travel to. But there is no way this would have happened if we weren't in a stalemate with them on Ukraine.